Supplements

I have a question about supplements when working out. Do you recommend taking any? There are so many different vitamins out there it's just confusing to understand what's necessary and what's not. The workouts at OTF are pretty hard core and I want to avoid injuries. So anything for joints or muscle recovery or anything like that... what could be beneficial?

Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• sarahruns20
    sarahruns20 Posts: 12 Member
    I don't take any supplements except a multivitamin when I remember. I am eating healthy and well-balanced so hopefully that will be enough. Good luck!
  • ewalkerr2932
    ewalkerr2932 Posts: 9 Member
    edited October 2016
    Hi! Great answer Sarah. Supplements are by no means necessary. A high quality multivitamin to make sure you are covering your bases can be a good idea- but quality is very important. Look for one that is "NSF" certified. This means it is pure, potent, and not contaminated. However, a multivitamin never replaces a good diet- rich in fruits, vegetables, fiber, lean proteins, etc. Supplements in general should be specific recommended to individuals after reviewing more comprehensive labs, symptoms, etc. Therefore- I don't generally use blanket recommendations for supplements!

In terms of sports supplements for recovery- again, not necessary. Especially for the average person just doing OTF 3-4 times a week. I may recommend some supplements to an elite athlete or some one doing high intensity training several times a week. I recommend eating protein and carbohydrates in the form of a meal after your workout. You want to aim for at least 15-20 g of protein, this helps rebuild and repair muscle. Carbohydrates are important too because they restore carbohydrate stores used during your workout. :)
  • Cool good to know :wink:
    What about protein powders? I feel like even when I put the extra effort to add as much protein as I can to my diet, I never reach my macros goal in protein and overdo it on carbs. Maybe a protein shake can help? But there are so many out there....
  • katm3
    katm3 Posts: 17 Member
    Something that says "Whey isolate" is your best. Its Easily and quickly absorbed. There are soooooo many choices out there! It's really up to you and your taste. If it doesn't taste too great on its own add some frozen strawberries and/or bananas and some unsweetened vanilla almond milk...blend up. Yummy snack!
  • Thank you!
  • I really like the Jay Robb protein powder. They sell it on amazon. I get the vanilla kind. It's a bit more pricey than others but it tastes so much better. I blend it with almond milk & banana & some frozen berries after my OTF workouts. Otherwise I'm starving and I eat all. The. Things.
  • Souji23
    Souji23 Posts: 3 Member
    Quest protein powder in peanut butter is also yummy!