Reminded why low-carb is for me

Options
Kurzweil
Kurzweil Posts: 14 Member
I've lost 155 lbs eating low carb & watching calories, and one of the things I always remark on is how my plantar fasciitis cleared up about 65% within 2 weeks of starting low carb - before I'd lost much weight at all.

However, clearly I have to be reminded of these lessons on the regular. The last 3 or 4 days I ate pretty high carb, just because I was making poor choices.

I felt like I was hit by a truck. Especially in the morning, I was just sore all over. Even a light touch on my arm or back felt like I was covered in bruises. My joints felt achy, and I was extremely tired - taking a nap every day when I ate poorly (which I never need when I'm eating low carb).

It was a great reminder to me. Carbs and sugar give me crazy inflammation, and it isn't just about the weight. I'm back to eating low carb, and the pain has totally cleared up in 24 hours. I guess being in pain just became so common for me when I was heavy, I didn't even realize it. But hopefully that will be one more tool and reason to keep me on track for life-long maintenance. It really is about health, not the number on the scale.

Replies

• kiwiapplepear
    kiwiapplepear Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    lol I had to google plantar Fasciitis, amazing results from 2 weeks! I am similar in the sense that I am really also wanting to reduce inflammation, I get unexplained sciatica and lower back pain, haven't felt any since on keto...I am 39 and have been feeling before I started to change my diet like I was in my 70s! like I couldn't imagine how I was going to last the distance. I am exactly two weeks on keto now and I feel younger already! lol no random pains, no gas... none! The best thing is the brain fog is gone!!! I feel so alert... by the way 155lbs is a massive achievement! Such a wonderful testimony to your personal strength. Congratulations.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I think we all need a reminder every now and then. This group is good for that. After being in maintenance for a bit, I tried upping my carbs just a bit from the 20 g a day or so to closer to 50. Even that change seems to be not so good. I used to be embarrassed all the time because I have always had a very loud stomach. It went along with always feeling bloated and gassy (sorry for the TMI there). At VLC, that completely went away. The last week or so of trying to go back up a bit, and I had a hard time watching TV last night over the sound of my stomach and being uncomfortable. I think it is time to go back to 20 or less. It's just not worth it to go any higher than that.
  • coloradoartstudio
    coloradoartstudio Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    @Kurzweil - This is wonderful to experience pain relief from your food choices and losing weight! I think it's always a good to be reminded of the alternative once in awhile. Plantar fasciitis is no joke!

I'm 60# overweight and I've been experiencing foot/heal pain when I wake up in the morning for the past few years. At 50 yrs old, I can only imagine what it will feel like at 80! I also have an old achilles injury that I can feel when I over do it and know that so much of it is related to the extra weight I'm carrying. That's like carrying six 10 pound bags of potatoes with me every single day - it's not sustainable and will lead to injury. I'm only at a 5# loss, but hope to experience the same success as you have.
  • Tanukiko
    Tanukiko Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I had a similar experience. My feet were so sore in the mornings it was excrutiating. 2 weeks into Keto and all foot pain gone! But if I bimge on carbs the next day is definitely a reminder of why I need to stick to protein and fat. Ouch!
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    That's great! I've noticed this WOE is great for using during surgery as well. Since your body doesn't have to focus on inflammation so much it can focus on healing itself. My dentist was shocked at how well my surgery and healing went, I had to have a baby tooth removed and an implant put in and he said he had wished he took before and after pictures. We were both pleased and it was a very unexpected but pleasant side effect.