Grab and Go breakfast Ideas please

Options
Pinkemi
Pinkemi Posts: 963 Member
Hi all! I have just started trying the Low Carb diet as my weight loss is not going as quickly as I would like.. plus I think i rely far too much on Carbs in my general diet. Fed up of feeling bloated and horrible all the time.

Anyway I have cut out bread and hardly ever eat pasta or rice anymore. Lunch, supper and snacks im okay on.. but my biggest problem is Breakfast!

I used to grab a bit of toast as I ran out of the door.. or ate an Alpen bar or something in the car.

Anyone got grab and go options for breakfast?

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I make a bunch of plain chicken tenderloins at once and put them in the fridge in tupperware. When I got to leave, just grab some, weigh it all out, dump my given hotsauce choice on them for the day, and I'm out.
  • HawkPNP
    HawkPNP Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I pretty much always keep hardboiled eggs ready to go, as well as string cheese. Those are my "go to" options to grab and run.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    *kitten*, forgot which forum I was in. You can ignore my previous post. That there's cutting food, and pretty much pure protein. xD
  • 40DayFit
    40DayFit Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I make a bunch of plain chicken tenderloins at once and put them in the fridge in tupperware. When I got to leave, just grab some, weigh it all out, dump my given hotsauce choice on them for the day, and I'm out.

Add some quacamole for dipping (stir in sour cream or advocado oil if you need more fat) and this sounds GREAT to me!
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,419 Member
    Options
    I also keep hardboiled eggs on hand but I love just a cheese and meat sandwich with cheese as the bread. Simple!
  • HawkPNP
    HawkPNP Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I love to pre-make pickle wraps with a pickle, cream cheese, and salami. I just keep them in a tupperware and grab as needed.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I just make BPC for my breakfast. Depending on how much and what I add, it is around 250-450 calories. It takes only a few min. of active time to make (coffee maker runs at pre-set time and is not "active" time). Basically, it is a matter of measuring out the ingredients and dumping in the blender with the coffee. Blend, pour into my mug, and I'm out the door with breakfast in hand.

If BPC isn't appealing, I suggest meat sticks (like Slim Jims), cheese sticks, or peanuts. It is more expensive, but you could use Quest bars. Some don't like the artificial sweeteners Quest uses, but that is another individual preference.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    40DayFit wrote: »

Add some quacamole for dipping (stir in sour cream or advocado oil if you need more fat) and this sounds GREAT to me!

When I'm on my normal CKD, I'll usually just add some olive oil and/or full fat ranch to the tenderloins and I'm good. On my current RFL run, it's Walden Farms honey dijon (the stuff is actually really good, especially for zero cal) or some hot sauce. For the moment (and the next two to four weeks), my fat intake is literally fish oil caps, and the incidental fat in tuna and chicken tenderloins. Hah.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    @Gallowmere1984 I need to get some of those tenderloins. Personally, I struggle with a high enough protein:fat ratio, particularly low carb. It looks like the tenderloins you are getting aren't breaded. Do you grill them or bake them? I assume you don't skillet fry because of cooking oil.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    @Gallowmere1984 I need to get some of those tenderloins. Personally, I struggle with a high enough protein:fat ratio, particularly low carb. It looks like the tenderloins you are getting aren't breaded. Do you grill them or bake them? I assume you don't skillet fry because of cooking oil.

Yeap, no breading. My prep method:
    Preheat oven to 425.
    Blot tenderloins with paper towel to even out moisture distribution.
    Put the on parchment paper in a pan so no oil is needed.
    Add salt, flip and repeat.
    Put a couple of ounces of water in the pan.
    Bake for 20 minutes.
  • CinderellaDaisy
    CinderellaDaisy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I can cook a soft fried egg in the same time it take to toast my husbands toast. So I do that with a slice of cheese on top and pepper and eat it right off the spatula
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    When I first started I would make a batch of egg, sausage, broccoli and cheese muffins on Sunday and heat up a couple for breakfast at work. Since then I've been doing bulletproof coffee and not eating until 1 or 2.
  • 40DayFit
    Options
    Wonder if you'd like these? Similar to what @Cadori mentioned!

http://cavemanketo.com/bacon-breakfast-muffins/
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    When I used to eat breakfast I would make up a batch of bacon on Sunday night and every morning I would quickly fry an egg, put it in a container with some of the bacon and take it with me. I'd heat it up and eat it at my desk at work.

Though now I'm a fan of bulletproof coffee. (I dont actually buy bulletproof anything I just put heavy whipping cream, butter, and coconut oil in my coffee and throw it in the blender for 10 seconds). Pour that baby in my travel mug and drink it in the morning. I'm usually full until at least 10:30 (usually more like 12). I get up at 5.
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I just make BPC for my breakfast. Depending on how much and what I add, it is around 250-450 calories. It takes only a few min. of active time to make (coffee maker runs at pre-set time and is not "active" time). Basically, it is a matter of measuring out the ingredients and dumping in the blender with the coffee. Blend, pour into my mug, and I'm out the door with breakfast in hand.

I do this, too, but a teeny bit more streamlined. I melt butter and coconut oil together ahead of time and pour into ice cube trays, chill, and pop into Tupperware. It saves me time in the morning when my brain is still foggy, since I can throw a couple cubes in the blender without having to measure.
  • Pinkemi
    Options
    Bullet Proof Coffee.. Ive heard this a lot... but I'm just not sure I wanna try it. Its what? Coffee and butter? Does it not have like.. a greasy texture to it? :|

Those breakfast muffins @40DayFit look AMAZING! but so much cheese.. i'm struggling to get my head round that aspect of this way of eating! haha

• Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Pinkemi wrote: »
    Bullet Proof Coffee.. Ive heard this a lot... but I'm just not sure I wanna try it. Its what? Coffee and butter? Does it not have like.. a greasy texture to it? :|

Those breakfast muffins @40DayFit look AMAZING! but so much cheese.. i'm struggling to get my head round that aspect of this way of eating! haha

Not greasy as all. I used butter, heavy cream, and cocout oil. It made a really frothy coffee, basically. You could add Erythritol to it to sweeten a bit if desired, but I never did.
  • 40DayFit
    Options
    Pinkemi wrote: »

Yep, fat is part of the process. It's what your body uses for fuel, if you're in ketosis, anyway. I'd rather the fat than sugars. Do you have any clarity around your desired eating plan? Are you aiming for low carbs, high fat? Low carbs, high protein? You have to fill in your macros somehow.

For me, BPC *does* have a greasy mouthfeel if it's not blended. Sometimes I don't have time for the cleanup so go w/just heavy cream & xylitol ( which I also use for its dental benefits).
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    MyriiStorm wrote: »

I do this, too, but a teeny bit more streamlined. I melt butter and coconut oil together ahead of time and pour into ice cube trays, chill, and pop into Tupperware. It saves me time in the morning when my brain is still foggy, since I can throw a couple cubes in the blender without having to measure.

I sometimes pre-cut the margarine, but not always. I use a TB for MCT / coconut oil and HWC. I don't always use MCT oil, though. The hardest to measure is protein powder because the scoop never comes out right. There is either an air pocket somewhere or it is over-full. So I almost always weigh it out the night before. When I don't, it takes a bit longer. For example, this morning, my first scoop came out to 24g and should have been 34g (air pocket). So I dumped that in the blender first, then measured out another 10g... but I got 16g first, and had to remove a bit from the scoop twice before I ended up with 10g.
  • Pinkemi
    edited October 2016
    Options
    So.. this might sound a little thick.. but I'm not sure. I was aiming for 25% of my daily calories as Carbs and then i guess.. mostly protein as it keeps you fuller for longer? Which one is better? high fat or high protein?

Heavy cream is a no no for me.. my stomach just does not appreciate it! Same with full fat milk. for some reason butter has always been fine.. So by the sounds of it.. maybe bacon / eggs/ veggie based breakfasts are the best for me?