Do you agree with these statements

Options
Hi, I'm new to the group. I need to lose 40 pounds and I've completely stalled at my current weight. I've been eating like a saint for a month, and I do pilates twice a week, walking 30 minutes most of the other days. I've been told I'm not getting enough calories at about 1000 per day, and that I eat too much fruit - so my carbs are high (they are at the 45% level of total calories). Looking for other ways to get protein than just meat and cheese, oh, and nuts. I found this article interesting. Do you agree with it, parts of it, none of it? Thanks!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/22/losing-weight-after-50_n_5491897.html

Replies

• virgm2002
    virgm2002 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I walk for exercise. I do think Pilates is much better for building your core. I read the article and it makes sense. Since I am limited on calories, I choose organic whenever possible and only use glass containers to store my food. I believe as an older adult, I’m worth the extra cost for these items. I am not a big meat eater. I get extra protein by eating greek yogurt, humus, protein shakes, and eggs and/or egg whites. I know your post is from earlier this year but, I am wondering if you were able to overcome your weight loss hurdle.
  • dldrucker
    dldrucker Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I think the points in the article are valid. However, I question the emphasis on "the last five pounds." Seriously, if you get older and are carrying an extra five pounds, so what? It's when you are carrying an extra 50 that there is a problem. There is a difference between wanting to be healthy and wanting to hold onto one's 25-year-old body. (I am struggling with this issue myself.)
  • nmcknny
    nmcknny Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Interesting article--not getting enough sleep seems to me the most likely of their list.
    cmercertaylor: I'm just coming back to MFP (today!) after gaining back most of what I lost :/ I hope we'll all inspire each other.
  • andreatait4
    andreatait4 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Good Evening Ladies. Ive done a bunch of bad, fad diets in the past - now looking to do it the right way and looking forward to your support
  • nmcknny
    nmcknny Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Welcome Andrea! I haven't tried a lot of diets except the South Beach for the entire family--works but the low carb first phase is hard, and it's expensive to cook. So, my daughter and I are both using MFP (she's lost 50 pounds and looks terrific) and I"m . . . starting again.