Just completed 3 weeks

Options
Bchlvr64
Bchlvr64 Posts: 89 Member
Loving SL5x5, progressing nicely I think. I'm 52 years old and I've never lifted let alone go in the "man area". It was so intimidating but I did my research before going in and just did it. I'm loving reading/watching anything fitness related. It's all I think about lol. I have a lot of weight to lose still. It seems so simple really. I'm wondering should I add other exercises or is this enough for now? Thoughts on this would be very appreciated. Thanks

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    :) i started at a bit less than 49. i'm 51 now, so i get you.

on accessories . . . most people tend to aim their accessories at whatever might be the weak point in their lifts. and/or they do accessory stuff that's designed to counterbalance whatever the lift itself does.

but sl does a fairly good job with that just in itself. rows counterbalance the bench press by working the muscles on the other side of your chest. pull in the deadlift gets counterbalanced by push for the press. for myself, my own standard 'extras' are band pull-aparts for the rear rotator cuff and rhomboids, and some kind of extra lat-related pulling in the up-and-down plane. so basically cable pulldowns or my eccentric chinups.

i do do a 'lot' (relatively) of planks and deadbugs and core-ish type stuff, but more as part of my warmup just to try and make sure those muscles are firing better before i get them involved in the lifts. the other stuff that i do is mostly related to stabilizer muscles in my rear shoulders and upper back. so i like waiter carries and turkish getups, but i sort of more do those things as re-check and re-settle moves during the lifts. they're not really 'lifts' that i'm doing in their own right.
  • avygyaru
    avygyaru Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I just started 5x5 but have been training for a 5k for the past month. For a lot of people, this 5x5 program is enough. I have a lot lot LOT of weight to loss so I'm not going to stop the 5k program since it's an interval walk/jog/run like hell from zombies thing.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    avygyaru wrote: »
    I just started 5x5 but have been training for a 5k for the past month. For a lot of people, this 5x5 program is enough. I have a lot lot LOT of weight to loss so I'm not going to stop the 5k program since it's an interval walk/jog/run like hell from zombies thing.

i use the zombies, run! app too. i love it! i don't have the training program but i do the story mission runs on my non SL days. when i first started SL i toned down cardio for a few weeks and when i came back to running i found that it is a lot easier after lifting. i was doing 3/2 intervals for about a mile before (not great, i know, but running, ugh). and now i'm surprising myself by running a mile before slowing down for a walking interval and for my dog to do his dog stuff and getting about 2.5 miles per mission.
  • Bchlvr64
    Bchlvr64 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your responses. Very helpful and encouraging. I haven't been on the scale in a few weeks, kind of afraid to as I've been eating too much. BUT, I notice my clothes are fitting looser. I feel a little smaller too. I ran a 5k Sept. 2015 and was thinking of adding in some running/jogging on non-lift days as I really enjoyed the feeling of running.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    avygyaru wrote: »
    not going to stop the 5k program since it's an interval walk/jog/run like hell from zombies thing.

lol! that zombies thing always makes me laugh when people talk about it.

you can do both. i do find that lifting takes a bit of an edge off my biking, in some respects. i'm not as quick with my reflexes, is what it feels like. but on the other hand, once i got settled and started really progressing with the lifting, i gained a lot of leg strength that did translate onto the bike. i've been riding around in the 'big' ring of my cassette for months now, and i don't think it's coincidence that that came at the same time my deadlifts were steadily climbing.

the main issue is just energy depletion. not so much in the sense of feeling tired, but having the right chemical stuff available for your muscles to use when you call on them. there's a finite amount of glycogen that your muscles can store, and lifting basically competes with your other activities for use of it. it could be that i started to see this good effect once i got heavy with deadlifts because getting heavy with deadlifts has forced my body to make my hamstrings and quads into bigger storage units.

• avygyaru
    avygyaru Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Bchlvr64 wrote: »
    Thank you for your responses. Very helpful and encouraging. I haven't been on the scale in a few weeks, kind of afraid to as I've been eating too much. BUT, I notice my clothes are fitting looser. I feel a little smaller too. I ran a 5k Sept. 2015 and was thinking of adding in some running/jogging on non-lift days as I really enjoyed the feeling of running.

I'd say be more concerned with size than the scale for now at least. It's easier said than done, but I see that number and wanna cry, then I put on my jeans and they're looser than before. that's from the zombie run, not 5x5 yet. But still. From what I understand with weight lifting, the inches go faster than the pounds.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    btw . . . for you newer people, you're always welcome to post in the 'daily workout' thread of the month if you feel like it. not that you have to, but just in case you feel too shy or like there's some kind of rule around it.

it's for everyone :p
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    Bchlvr64 wrote: »
    I'm loving reading/watching anything fitness related. It's all I think about lol.

i know how you feel about that. i do the same thing . . . and to think that back in the day when people talked about 'working out' it always seemed to me like a chore.

i've somehow turned into this person who can HAPPILY watch other people lifting weights on youtube, and thinking about how they do it, and thinking about how i do it, and then finding more people to watch.