OUT OF CONTROL!

Options
mskeyaj
mskeyaj Posts: 76 Member
Okay, my eating has been out of control the last few weeks. I will cheat for 1 or 2 days then go back to keto for a couple of days. I know that it is due to stress but I will no longer use that as an excuse. This stops today! If anyone has battled with this as well.... Any words of advice is greatly appreciated. I know that I have gained at least 8 pounds. I refuse to step on the scale right now:(

Replies

• RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I had a thread about this just the other week. And the support there was amazing. I deduced that we all go through something like this at some point and maybe more than once. There was lots of great advice too. I admit I'm still not back to full speed keto but I feel better knowing that I'm headed back and that there are about 30,000 people on this forum alone that have gone through something similar. Keep pushing and you'll get there. Don't get on that scale. Get back on track first. Then, if you must, weigh after you've been back on track a week or two. You've got this!!!
  • ambergem1969
    ambergem1969 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'd step on that scale and face the music! That way you can say "okay, I've gotten here but that ends now." Use it to motivate you instead of avoidance. For me, if I'm avoiding an issue, it is usually because it causes negative feelings and usually the anxiety is worse than the reality ends up being. Also - think back to times when you've been successful and put those habits and practices back into place (maybe its pre-logging your food, meal planning, sticking with certain types of meals, etc.).

You've got this!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Besides, any time you work to get pounds off, even in a regain or water retention, you own that effort. You worked at it, even if it's a dozen times, or a dozen times a dozen times...
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    You definitely have the right attitude. Enough is enough, I've reached that point as well. The only advice I can offer is to understand your triggers (mood, situations, etc) before veering off of your plan. I can almost predict when the wagon wheels are becoming unhinged and leading me to a point of frustration and failure. Just thinking it through from the first bite, to whatever end result you expect to get. I don't typically log, but I'm learning to be upfront and honest by logging, no matter what/how I eat. I'm here to support you, so you're not in this solely.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    We all have those moments where we kinda beat ourselves up over little things. I say step on the scale so you know where you're at and then you'll be able to see how much you are losing in the next few weeks. Keep in mind if you just ate a pile of carbs it will be mostly water weight. Weight loss is not linear :)

My #1 advice is to stock your house up with things you love, and maybe things you haven't tried yet. I recently bought a pile of pork rinds in different flavors - I hated them the first time I tried them but they are growing on me. The hot and spicy ones are pretty good too. Try some new recipes too to mix things up and keep it interesting :) I like crockpot recipes, especially the Mississippi roast one. Yummmmm!!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    pork rinds with cream cheese...used to be one of my favorite snacks!!! crunchy and creamy
  • 40DayFit
    40DayFit Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I respect the effort it takes to not only recognize you're off track, but also to tell others. AND you clearly have a sense of what you'd like to accomplish via keto--which helps you remember why you're choosing some things and letting go of others.

Thanks for keeping an open food diary. It looks like you have quite a sweet tooth, and with the children, you're probably surrounded by sweets and fast food. With stress in the mix, you're probably reaching out to the familiar for comfort and, quite frankly, because it's easy. I bet we can all relate to that in our own ways!

What do you think it'd take to plan out some keto meals that incorporate not just a high fat, low carb profile, but also reflect some great micronutrients as well? I see BPC-type morning drinks, and imagine that more food, less liquids, would be helpful. Do you like creamy foods? Salty? How would you like to add in leafy greens, cabbage, broccoli, etc? Are you willing to pull back from sweeteners for two weeks to let your taste buds adjust?

If you're not ready for the scale, let it 'lone! Maybe take some body measurements (which you won't really know what they mean right now) and give it a month.

And clear out the stuff you don't need. Candy's got to go. Sweeteners might be too triggering. Vegetables might help add to a feeling of fullness. And prepping and careful shopping will help you feel ready even with a busy household underfoot.
  • mskeyaj
    Options
    hello @40DayFit, yes, I am willing to let go of the sweeteners:( going to make for some nasty coffee though lol. I do like salty and creamy foods and I can up my veggies some...
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    mskeyaj wrote: »
    Okay, my eating has been out of control the last few weeks. I will cheat for 1 or 2 days then go back to keto for a couple of days. I know that it is due to stress but I will no longer use that as an excuse. This stops today! If anyone has battled with this as well.... Any words of advice is greatly appreciated. I know that I have gained at least 8 pounds. I refuse to step on the scale right now:(

You would be soliciting fewer responses if you asked for those who have NOT battled going off the rails at some point. There might be someone out there, but if so, they are probably very early on, or maybe they aren't human.

From what you said, I think the biggest hurdle is staying keto for at least a week. Your body doesn't have time to adapt in just a couple of days, so essentially, you aren't making it over the first hurdle that makes everything much easier. Depending on varying factors, it takes between 3-7 days to get into ketosis. Once there, I have found each day gets easier in terms of cravings.
  • mskeyaj
    Options
    thank you @cstehansen:)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    Make this new effort easier by:
    planning ahead (planning meals and having LC snacks on hand)
    keep your electrolytes up
    don't be afraid of fat
    don't worry about calories as much right away (break the "falling off the wagon" cycle and THEN you can start counting calories)

You can do this.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    hello @40DayFit, yes, I am willing to let go of the sweeteners:( going to make for some nasty coffee though lol. I do like salty and creamy foods and I can up my veggies some...

I could not stand my coffee when I decided to quit sweetening it. Then I realized that my coffee was just gross. So I started trying different ones and eventually found a local roaster to buy from. What a difference good coffee makes! I also like Starbucks better varieties from the actual coffee shop locations. They seemed to be more fresh or something. Maybe it was in my head, but I didn't like it from the grocery store. I also switched to using a coffee press to preserve the oils in the beans. I think that adds to the flavor too.
    I cut sweeteners because I was craving sweet foods. I managed to hold it together by only overdoing it on low carb sweets, but it still created weight gain for me. I had to stop with the sweet stuff. Even on plan stuff!
    I also eat like crazy all day every day if I don't fast on at least a 16/8 schedule every day. Most of the time I do best with 18/6. I got off my IF when I started lifting because I was listening to hunger (I thought) and I expected to need a bit more food, but it was ridiculous! Some people find they are hungrier if they don't eat 3 meals, but given the traits of fasting doesn't make sense to me. When I got back on IF, I had to use will power for a day or two, to break my habit of eating in the morning like I had started doing. But once I got back into it, I am good to go from 7 or 8pm to about 2 or 3 the next day, most days. I feel less hungry, eating less often. I do find I need coffee all morning and I do add 1Tbs MCT oil to it, but I use it as a supplement for ADHD. I don't know how much that's helping stave off hunger. If I do feel hungrier some mornings, I do better adding 100-150 calories of coconut oil and/or butter than I do to eat solid food. Even if it's just eggs or meat... I get hungry too soon with solid food and then I'm eating all day long.
    I have found that I can have minimal amounts of liquid stevia or liquid erythritol in my afternoon coffee or tea as long as my fast is over. It doesn't seem to affect my hunger as long as I don't have it while fasting. I don't get the same result with other sweeteners. They make me crave sweets.
  • mskeyaj
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ ,I can relate to eating solid foods, I tend to over do it. I am currently doing a 16/8 fast as well. As for the coffee, perhaps, I should go to starbucks and purchase some coffee beans or is the coffee already grinded/grouded lol? How did you go about find a local roaster to buy from? So far today I have only had chicken broth, bpc, and picked over a salad I made at the salad bar:( My tummy is not feeling to well, so trying to keep it light.
  • moonlights
    moonlights Posts: 141 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I think fasting can be harder if you're not Keto - maybe it would be more advisable to spend a couple of weeks really making sure you stay on track and eating enough food to keep you satisfied before trying fasting?

For me, when getting back into Keto I stop tracking calories for at least the first week. I make sure I eat a big breakfast - something like bacon, eggs and mushrooms can keep me full all day. I'll have some cheese to snack on if I do feel any temptation to eat. Then I'll have a good late lunch and evening meal. Basically I plan my food and make sure I eat enough that I'm too full to need to go off plan!

Planning food really helps me. I'm never needing to wander off track wondering what I can eat that day.

Obviously fasting works for a lot of people though, I just find myself more likely to be tempted if I'm hungry and unsure where my next meal is coming from. And if your stomach is unsettled you probably do want to keep it light.

You've got this, good luck
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    As for the coffee, perhaps, I should go to starbucks and purchase some coffee beans or is the coffee already grinded/grouded lol? How did you go about find a local roaster to buy from?

Starbucks will grind it for you - always choose the whole bean variety and have them grind it - it will be fresher and taste better that way.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Make this new effort easier by:
    planning ahead (planning meals and having LC snacks on hand)
    keep your electrolytes up
    don't be afraid of fat
    don't worry about calories as much right away (break the "falling off the wagon" cycle and THEN you can start counting calories)

You can do this.

This^. Especially the part in bold. No (artificial) sweeteners, is not required for keto. Coffee is not required for keto. Rome was not built in a day. Finding a way to eat that you can stick with is required for weight loss, in general.
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    You have to realize that we all eat off plan at times, and don't beat yourself up about it. Just use your thoughts (mind, logic, whatever) to jump back onto the plan. For me, the longer I am off plan, the harder it is for me to get back on. You seem to have reached your "good spot" and are willing to do whatever necessary to start over. It's a new day, start over and have faith in yourself.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ ,I can relate to eating solid foods, I tend to over do it. I am currently doing a 16/8 fast as well. As for the coffee, perhaps, I should go to starbucks and purchase some coffee beans or is the coffee already grinded/grouded lol? How did you go about find a local roaster to buy from? So far today I have only had chicken broth, bpc, and picked over a salad I made at the salad bar:( My tummy is not feeling to well, so trying to keep it light.

They will grind it for you. That's what I would always do. I only recently discovered that my little bullet type blender has a nut grinder attachment that works for coffee. lol I could've done it myself all along and had no idea!
    I just did a google search for a coffee roaster in my city. Some things it brings up might be coffee shops but some of the individually owned ones also roast their own coffee. Then you can read reviews and see how good they might be.
    Then one day I was checking out a farmers market near my house and there was a lady selling coffee. Shes from South Africa with some kind of connections to farmers in different countries and orders single origin beans direct to roast herself. So now I'm really hooked!

As far as overdoing it on foods. I always see people say you can't overeat fat and protein... but I'm pretty sure I can! Lol
    Those are the foods I crave when I'm following zero carb right. Im 5'4", 140 lbs and order a 16 oz ribeye at a restaurant and eat every last chewable morsel! The server always looks at me like there's no way you're eating all that! I will be satisfied but not full. Not like one would expect from a big steak like that. Only a couple hours later I can easily eat a good sized portion of cheese and pepperoni! Just gotta stay mindful at this point.
  • 40DayFit
    40DayFit Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the coffee I pick up at my Costco--a local roaster supplies some nice organic, rich roast. And there's a grinder there so you can set the grind to the type of coffee maker you use. I'm using an electronic percolator these days, which requires a slightly coarser grind.

I've opted out of BPC-type coffee. I find I'd rather get the fat with my meals. That said, when I'm at the office drinking the free coffee, I'll add a half-pat of butter from whatever breakfast catering they had, and a single "cup" of half & half.

Anyone else harvest the butter packs from office catering? LOL I have a small zip-seal baggie in the office fridge...
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    40DayFit wrote: »
    I enjoy the coffee I pick up at my Costco--a local roaster supplies some nice organic, rich roast. And there's a grinder there so you can set the grind to the type of coffee maker you use. I'm using an electronic percolator these days, which requires a slightly coarser grind.

I've opted out of BPC-type coffee. I find I'd rather get the fat with my meals. That said, when I'm at the office drinking the free coffee, I'll add a half-pat of butter from whatever breakfast catering they had, and a single "cup" of half & half.

Anyone else harvest the butter packs from office catering? LOL I have a small zip-seal baggie in the office fridge...

I don't drink BPC anymore either for that same reason. I don't have a huge appetite in the morning, so I eat something light. I'm almost always at home for lunch. I'd rather have extra salad dressing or more nuts with those calories.

Oh and on the harvesting, if I had the opportunity to do that, I totally would.