GoaD on the Run - Monday 10/31/16

Options
jbrack381us
jbrack381us Posts: 345 Member
This thread is for GOADies who like to run. New runners, old runners, and even wannabe runners meet here to discuss the joys and challenges of running. Use this space to log your miles, ask questions, share your race reports, or for anything else related to running.

New runners - and even those just thinking about starting out - are always welcome. There's no reason to lurk here. Join the pack and tell us about your running!

Oftentimes the GotR thread will pose a question or raise an issue in order to facilitate the conversation, but this is always an open forum to chat about any running-related topic.

Today's topic: Bundle and run - The weather will turn colder (eventually)... How do you bundle when you run? Do you wear certain layers at or below a certain temp level? What is the coldest temp you will run in outdoors?

Replies

• gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I have different layering strategies based on the temps, wind, and if it is sunny. Coldest I've run in was minus 5 but it was sunny and in the woods protected from the winds.

Gloves, always, below 50 as I have Raynards. But I will wear silk liners so the outer gloves often come off once I warm up. Headband with ear protection too below 50. My ears don't like the cold.

Tights usually below 50.

I layer on top and will take things off if needed and wrap around my waist. Sometimes things go on and off based on wind conditions. I also prefer tops with zippers so I can vent as needed.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    hey, guys. Happy Monday and Happy Halloween!

No running yesterday or today. I could squeeze in a strength workout this evening. In fact, I really should make an effort as it'd be nice to say I was in the gym at least once this month!

QotD: We're good for a week or two of bitter cold once or twice each winter and I'll adjust plans if necessary, but I'll run outside at practically any temp as long as it's not windy. I think the coldest I've run in in Minnesota is -18F. It depends on footing, the duration of the run, and whether I'm trying to do anything more than "just run," but I'd like to think my default stays on outdoor running.

On clothing, @gadgetgirlIL said it well. I should be able to find and post a pic I took several years ago after a very cold run where I pretty much maxed out on layers. Good advice is to dress so you're somewhat on the uncomfortably cold side at the start. Mega-dittos on the full zipper top. On a long run with varying wind or sun I'll sometimes feel like I'm wearing out that zipper!

• Calvin2008Brian
    Options
    This pic is from Feb 2011. A hilly long run, about 15 miles total, with temps between 2 below and 1 above.x4smcfjtvu4n.jpg
  • gadgetgirlIL
    Options
    @Calvin2008Brian - Love your picture! I'll have to dig out mine from the minus 5 degree (air temps, minus 28 with wind chill) "run" I did in early January 2015. I was coming off of a layoff from running due to macula hole surgery combined with a knee issue. I knew I would have to walk a good portion of the 10K. My ability to make body heat while walking is much lower than when running. I did not want to end up with frost bite. I succeeded in finishing even though it was a PW for a 10K because there was deep snow in sections and some steep climbs for which I was very grateful that I was wearing my microspikes.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I didn't shed anything that day. I did learn that if you are going to fuel with gels or blocks, you want to keep them close to your body. They froze. As did my water bottle.

sdh15diqej57.jpg
    12jg800fnnog.jpg
    curxudttabeq.jpg
    3s7bi6k6jlmy.jpg
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Options
    Ha! All those layers remind me of "Randy lay there like a slug. It was his only defense."
  • gadgetgirlIL
    Options
    I should have weighed all those layers to see how many extra pounds I was carrying!
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Options
    I'm doing this, over on the MFP message boards: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/38052682#Comment_38052682

New monthly running challenge starts tomorrow.
  • lilybbbbb
    lilybbbbb Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Completed Week One of C25K yesterday.
    Start Week Two tomorrow morning.

i wear whatever's on the floor and smells okay.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    Options
    Certainly didn't need any layers today as it was 63 degrees an hour before the sunrise. I was glad I had a spare t-shirt in my gym bag so that I could get out of the shirt I wore while running before walking into the gym to stretch and shower.

4.5 miles, just me and two deer this morning. I did get passed by several cross country runners on the sidewalk leading to the trails.
  • lilybbbbb
    lilybbbbb Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Week Two, Day One. Done. Next week, I guess it may be light out?!
  • StuartPW
    StuartPW Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Not on topic, but today was one of the most beautiful running days of the year. Cool dry air and gorgeous Fall Foliage make the run a joyous event. I wish everyday was like today.

Reality check. Winter is coming.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Great point, @StuartPW. On part it was your post that inspired me to get out last evening for a later than usual 3 mile run. My other impetus was the Indians getting shelled in the World Series. LOL. I needed to clear my mind!

Very pretty outing on the bike / hike path along Lake Minnetonka. It was a clear night, and a joy to see the stars reflecting on the water. I needed that!!!