Darn

Options
Think I need to give up the wine, for now at least. I have been having 2-3 glasses a week after my second week Keto. I do like to be able to enjoy one glass here and there, but I notice that I am getting some sugar cravings when I drink it. Nothing I can't handle, but it's distracting and unpleasant. I was really hoping it would be ok for now, because if I get pregnant alcohol will obviously be eliminated. I am really trying to pay attention to my hunger signals and cravings, and this is not the reaction I want from anything I'm eating/drinking. Oh well.

Replies

• 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Yup. I loved wine a few times a week and gave it up to start keto.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Maybe later you can add it back in when you are more fat adapted. I have a glass or two of wine three nights a week.
  • coloradoartstudio
    coloradoartstudio Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It's tough...I've cut back significantly, but it's definitely a pleasure. The one thing I've noticed is that it tastes so much sweeter than before. Tonight I had a glass and didn't even finish it. I have noticed that after I've had wine, the next day I'll go from being in solid ketosis to mild.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I had a sort of NSV yesterday.... My hubby and his Mum opened a bottle of 2014 Gewurtztraminer (one of my faves and a good year from this vineyard) and I didn't have any, or even have the good dark rum I was going to sub (carbs, you know). So I saved myself some calories and didn't pause my fat burn with alcohol. But he finished the wine off tonight, and I am a little sad about not tasting it. That vintage was sold out, none to be had anymore.
    If I had more to lose, I might have gone for it, but I notice the closer I am to goal, the more precise I have to be with my plan.
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    What kind of wine do you ladies drink?
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Wine does not give me any cravings, apart from more wine, and alcohol now goes straight to my head. I only drink red these days, used to drink white, but unless it is really dry, I now cannot drink anything too sweet.

I prefer vodka these days, easy to control, no carbs, gluten free. Result.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    wine will give me cravings if it's the last thing I have for the day - if I make sure to eat something fatty after the wine as a bedtime snack, then I do not get the cravings...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Wine doesn't give me cravings, but MAN the calories.
  • grafixfrh
    grafixfrh Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I second the motion to hold off till Keto adapted then your body will be more capable to handle the spikes of carbs and calories. My personal favorite has always been chocolate hard to resist.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    Options

I like Pinot Grigio for white and a Cab Sauv or Pinot Noir for red.

I measure my wine because I need to account for it properly. Not a lot of room for error for me.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

I used to only buy wines that I could find the carb info for and would be careful to measure out the right amount and such to stay within my total carb goal for that day. Then I was realizing that as long as it was a dry wine the carbs were always quite similar and so I just avoid any that are sweeter. If that's all that's available, like if I'm at a party or something, then I'll limit myself to one reasonable glass and take my time on it so I'm not tempted to keep refilling.
    I prefer red wines over white just for taste. But there are options for both. I'm happy with just about any mid priced pino noir, merlot, cabernet or even red blends. I tend to like dark reds best... I also like dark coffee... I guess it's the tannins. Some snooty wine person told me that once. Lol
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    Wine does not give me any cravings, apart from more wine, and alcohol now goes straight to my head. I only drink red these days, used to drink white, but unless it is really dry, I now cannot drink anything too sweet.

I prefer vodka these days, easy to control, no carbs, gluten free. Result.
    That's me too! The wine goes straight to my head too. I've accidentally gotten myself totally wasted on only 2 glasses of higher alcohol wine a few times. I've learned to check the alcohol concentration before pouring so I don't do that. It seems to hit me on a delay. 30 minutes after I'm done drinking I'll get the full effect and if I get carried away while drinking... it's not a pretty sight!
    wine will give me cravings if it's the last thing I have for the day - if I make sure to eat something fatty after the wine as a bedtime snack, then I do not get the cravings...

If I drink enough of any alcohol that I am really buzzing, I always feel like I need something to eat before I go to bed. I don't have any trouble with food choices or even eating too much, but I will always feel like I need something. I don't know if there's any difference the next day whether or not I ate afterward. But if I don't make sure to drink at least 1 big glass (maybe 12 ounces or more) of water AND get a good dose of salt too before I go to bed, I have a terrible hangover the next day! I usually try to drink the salted water throughout the night so I'm not chugging a glass at once... because I probably won't do it then.
    Something else that helps reduce hangover for me is taking about 5000mg of vitamin C before bed and again in the morning. That makes a big difference! I've been out before and wow! It was a rough day!
  • BT_rescuemom
    BT_rescuemom Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Wine doesn't give me cravings, but MAN the calories.

Well, it definitely fits into my calorie and carb counts. 5oz of dry white was only 2-3 carbs and 100-120 calories. Now...if I drank 2 or 3 glasses, that would be a different story. But, if it's going to be giving me cravings I would rather spend those calories and carbs on food rather than liquid. And I don't particularly like the fact that it likely kicks me out of ketosis. So for now...no alcohol.

• Tanukiko
    Tanukiko Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I cut way back by making spritzers with mineral water (both for red and white). So instead of having 2 glasses in a night I end up only having 1. Its been easy to do since (as someone else mentioned) it seems so much sweeter now.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options

Wine and cheeseeeeeeeeeee!

I really cut my wine consumption as well since I started keto. It doesn't seem to affect me negatively though..I just choose to save my calories for something else. I'll have a glass here or there...thankfully I have a friend living with me so if I crack a bottle I know someone else will drink it. I hate pouring out wine :(
  • sammyliftsandeats
    Options
    I saw this at a Halloween party and it piqued my interest.

http://www.sociallitevodka.com/#sociallitevodka

Might be a nice alternative to wine every once in a while.
  • BT_rescuemom
    BT_rescuemom Posts: 284 Member
    Options

I'd drink that!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

Sounds yummy, Sam! I'll have to look for that at my local liquor stores.
    I'm waiting on Bakon Vodka and Summerland Cider Porter's Dry (a blend of 100% cider apples and dominated by one called Porter's Perfection. With a golden colour and an earthy, rich flavour, this very dry cider was produced with the West Country area of England in mind. 7.7% alc.) One of my local liquor stores ordered them in for me but I'm not sure how long it's going to take. The cidery may even be out until next picking and fermenting. They are a Heritage Micro-Cidery. The cider will not be that low carb, but it won't be anywhere near like Strongbow or Okanagan Extra Dry Cider, they are so sweet.

Wines: fave whites - Gewurtz, Viognier, Riesling, Pinot Gris
    fave reds - Marechal Foch, Gamay Noir, Pinot Meunier, Syrah

edited to add photo - I work at a local vineyard/winery every fall. :p

24vg66sr5uqo.jpg
    7gs6cedtbfew.jpg