Pre Gastric Sleeve

Options
Hello Everyone. My husband and myself are getting Gastric Sleeve sometime soon just waiting insurance approval. We did all our testing and doc visits the past 4 months. I'm getting scared and nervous about life after surgery any tips or advice for a beginner Sleever lol. What's are some of your favorite protein shakes Thanks for any tips or advice.

Replies

• jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Good luck - Inhad gastric bypass on April 18th. Here are some of my favorite sites/products:

The World According to Eggface - great site and fabulous recipes especially the ricotta bake

Bariatric Foodie - Love the taco casserole

Bariatric Eating - Love her no pie pumpkin pie and manicotti. They sell products and LOvE their protein crunchers and all of their shakes. Mexican Chocolate is plant based so a bit gritty but the others are whey isolate so very smooth. I am about to buy the 2 layer bars. I use their Hair Balance and 3+3 capsules..I find I take fewer pills this day but get everything I need

Bariatric Choice - TONS of products and great customer service

Cooking Sites (not Bariatric but great recipes and you can modify as necessary)
    Skinnytaste
    Emily Bites
    Carlsbad Cravings
    Mel's Kitchen Cafe
    Damn Delicious
    Skinny Kitchen
    Half Baked Harvest
    Peas and Crayons (mostly plant based)
    Oh She Glows (plant based)

Lots of good luck!
  • Jennyjen1214
    Jennyjen1214 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info!!! You guys are amazing!! Thanks for all the tips and sites to check out!!
  • Jennyjen1214
    Options
    Steven. I seen in another post your surgeon was Dr Minkin he will also be my surgeon! Did u like him ?
  • StevenGarrigus
    StevenGarrigus Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Steven. I seen in another post your surgeon was Dr Minkin he will also be my surgeon! Did u like him ?

Dr. Minkin and the entire staff at MyNewSelf Bariatrics were the best! I was originally scheduled to have surgery with Dr. Scott, but he retired to do research in Columbia. Dr. Minkin comes highly recommended and from my personal experience, I would absolutely recommend him. He also performed my wife's surgery four years ago as well as one of my co-workers just a few weeks ago.

• Jennyjen1214
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks so much for all the info you have givin me.
  • StevenGarrigus
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks so much for all the info you have givin me.

You are very welcome! Good luck and get ready to enjoy life!

• pneschich
    pneschich Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Awaiting approval. Denied Wednesday a weight from 2013 was missing. I should find out one way or the other next thursday
  • Jennyjen1214
    Options
    A weight from 2013?? Omg why did they need that?? I'm awaiting approval all my stuff got turned in last Tuesday
  • pneschich
    pneschich Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    @jennyjen214 insurance... Had a 6 month long prequlifiying period ddoctor and dieticians monthly, couldn't miss a month. shrink visit too Had to lose 10% body weight too.. im ready for my answer thursday. I would really like a liquid thanksgiving.
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I know my insurance required 5 years of weight history so could be that - just a technicality so if your doctor can provide that to the insurance company then you should be fine. Good luck!
  • StevenGarrigus
    Options
    pneschich wrote: »
    @jennyjen214 insurance... Had a 6 month long prequlifiying period ddoctor and dieticians monthly, couldn't miss a month. shrink visit too Had to lose 10% body weight too.. im ready for my answer thursday. I would really like a liquid thanksgiving.

I really hope you get a good answer Thursday. After I had all my final approvals, I ate a few really good meals, things I knew I wouldn't be able to eat in a long while after the surgery.

I'm really looking forward to Thanksgiving this year, mostly for the family getting together. I have no problem knowing I'll be eating one little piece of turkey, a tablespoon of mashed potatoes and a tablespoon of dressing. Maybe a bit of cranberry sauce on the side and that will be about it. I'm no longer obsessed with consuming mass quantities of food and am more than happy to just eat my "one cup" for each meal. I actually think I enjoy it more now since you have to take your time to chew everything into oblivion. It takes just as long to eat, I feel content and I'm full. To me, that's not a bad thing at all!