2 YEARS OUT

Options
benagek
benagek Posts: 46 Member
I am 2 years out from my VSG and I just thought I would pop in and give an update. I am still so happy that I had this surgery done. I knew from the beginning that it was not a permanent fix, but instead a means to getting me to where I could feel more in control. That is exactly how I feel still today. I lost about 92 lbs in the first 14-18 months. At around 18 months started noticing that it was more of my effort going forward than the sleeve. In other words, the sleeve had done all it was going to do. I lost a little more, maybe 5 lbs, for a short time but put that back on. Over the next six months I stayed pretty steady until recently. I've been training for a marathon (which is next week) and I've been starving all the time because of my calorie burn. So, I've been eating a ton more. AND since for a while there I wasn't logging things, I gained about 5-7 lbs. This last week I have gotten back into logging my food and I'm going to take that weight off. I know it is a direct result of my efforts that I will see success! When I first lost the weight and noticed things leveling off I just put a number on my wall and said "I WILL NOT go above this number. And that number was only about 5 lbs from where I was, so...when I crept a little passed that I new I had to get my butt in gear. Even though I have been exercising a ton, I have to control my food. No magic happening just because I had the surgery. I love what this has done for me though and am still so glad I had it done.

Replies

• boncharlie
    boncharlie Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this... I'm almost 12 months out and have lost about 130lbs but its definitely slowing. I feel this is where the real hard work will begin - my brain has to keep making the right decisions now that the surgery has allowed me to 'reset' myself. Good luck with your journey. :smile:
  • Minskygirl
    Minskygirl Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting. It's very encouraging to know that you're still doing good. I was scheduled for about six weeks ago and postponed because of second thoughts. Since then, I've been eating healthier, exercising and logging on Mfp. I think taking that extra time has made me realize that I can do this and surgery will help get me where I want to be. And realize that the rest will be up to me. I've lost 10 pounds on my own and I'm now on the two-week pre-op diet. My surgery is scheduled for November 14. I can't wait to start the next part of the journey.
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!