Keto post workout

Options
BeckyS35
BeckyS35 Posts: 13 Member
What do you all eat after you workout? I used to always have a protein shake with pb and banana in it. Well obviously this probably isn't going to work anymore. :neutral: last night I had a hard time reaching all of my macros after my exercise was added in. Any advice or guidance is appreciated. Thank you in advance!!

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    nuts are my go to when I'm not eating enough and I'm not really hungry either...
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    What's "workout"? :D

There are a bunch of people on here who will pipe in with great advice for you. But I saw you were new and wanted to say "welcome to the group!"

I will also say that I don't eat up calories I burn should I actually get off my *kitten*. I prefer to keep the deficit but I only walk or dance - nothing serious so that may not apply for you.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I just eat whatever I normally would after lifting, which is generally just a blended (whey and casein) protein shake anyway. Failing that, hard-boiled eggs are pretty awesome.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I workout fasted in the morning (only place in my schedule where a workout would fit) and generally don't do anything more than black coffee afterwards - I also do 16:8 IF so my first meal of the day doesn't happen until after noon. I know some peeps need to eat something after a workout and before I started the IF, I would drink a whey protein shake on my drive into work.

BTW - welcome to the group!
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I do pretty much the same as @ccrdragon and work out from about 5am to about 6:30 am M-F and don't generally have any calories until somewhere between 11-12. I have some black coffee and water before that. I also do IF of between 16/8 and 18/6.

I'm IR and have noticed my BG spikes post work out which would lead me to believe my insulin also spikes a bit. Those insulin spikes will make me feel hungry, for a short time, but it usually resolves itself fairly quickly as my BG levels off. I think it levels much quicker than if I had eaten a carby meal because it is pushing it back into replace glycogen storage vs trying to get it into my cells for burning.

The longer I have followed this WOE, the lower the spikes and the shorter they are in duration and the less hunger I feel post workout. It's kind of interesting because now, I can almost predict what my BG reading will be in the morning during that time based on my hunger. I have gotten to the point where I can tell the difference between true hunger and hunger due to spiked insulin which is really helpful.

I had been in maintenance and then the last few weeks decided to try to increase muscle mass a bit and thought about adjusting eating schedule. I did not adjust. It has had no negative impact as I am up about 3-4 lbs and it is all in the right places. Waist might have even shrunk a bit. All the gains seem to have been in muscle mass.

All that said, I don't think it is necessary to eat post workout. Of course it is likely a situation of YMMV.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I generally work out in the morning and it is about an hour or so until I get to the office for breakfast. Generally, hard boiled eggs and bacon.

Works for me!
  • HawkPNP
    HawkPNP Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I generally just eat what I always eat. If I workout in the AM, I am typically fasting. If it's after dinner, I don't typically eat anything. Working out doesn't really change my eating, I guess. But, I also run a life with two little kids and grad school, so a schedule just isn't in the books ;)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    I workout fasted in the morning (only place in my schedule where a workout would fit) and generally don't do anything more than black coffee afterwards - I also do 16:8 IF so my first meal of the day doesn't happen until after noon. I know some peeps need to eat something after a workout and before I started the IF, I would drink a whey protein shake on my drive into work.

BTW - welcome to the group!

This is me too. It's usually a few hours before I eat at my regular lunch time and I'm not a fan of protein shakes. I'd rather get protein from meat. So that's what I eat.
  • BeckyS35
    BeckyS35 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the great info guys! I truly appreciate the help!