THM Gentle Sweet

Options
Bayluvr
Bayluvr Posts: 115 Member
I love my daily 12oz cup of coffee, and used to sweeten it with Splenda before starting keto almost 3wks ago. But I cannot stand the taste of Stevia, and I've wasted money on several different brands and blends.

A couple days ago I purchased THM Gentle Sweet, a blend of xylitol, erythritol and stevia (I'm sure most of you know it), and it does the job! I'm just wondering about the 3g carbs per 5 calorie teaspoonful. I read that carbs aren't counted when using these two sugar alcohols because of their non-effect on insulin levels, but does anyone have any experience, positive or negative, using this product?

I've only used it 2 days and haven't noticed any change in my appetite (yet), but I don't want to derail my progress because it takes 6 weighed servings to suit my tastes. Also, what's the deal with Swerve? Would that be a better choice? Thanks!

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    Ok. I looked at the label for you.
    Most sugar alcohols need to be counted at least half. BUT...Erythritol is one that is one that for most has been proved to be completely unabsorbed during digestion. I'm not 100% sure on xylitol, but I believe it is similar. So you don't need to count those. If it were maltitol or sorbitol or the others, which are known to actually be partially absorbed on many occasions, should be counted half. I use Pyure (it's like Truvia-but I think it tastes better) which is a stevia, erythritol blend and I don't count those carbs.

All of them probably do cause an insulin response in some people. But experiences with sweeteners are a YMMV. Some won't get cravings; some will. I'm cool with sucralose and Pyure. Aspartame gives me carb-munchies (among other issues.)

Anyone used this and have anything to add?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Erythritol provides almost zero food energy (0.224cal/g)
    Xylitol however, provides 2.4cal/g, which is a bit over half of what table sugar does.
  • Bayluvr
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who replied...I gained a whole lot of insight from your responses. I was mainly interested in the sweetener because my coffee is the ONLY thing I drink/eat to indulge my sweet tooth. I have always loved my daily super sweetened (used to use 5-6 Splenda packets in 12ozs coffee) cuppa joe, and thought I could get away with it after going keto, by changing sweeteners because I did get really bad cravings with Splenda.

Think I'll dial back the Gentle Sweet to 1 tsp and add a little of the stevia for my daily cup. If I develop any problems with cravings, it will have to go because I am loving this woe and the benefits thus far. The HWC does help to make it more palatable, and it's only once a day :smile:

You guys are great! Thanks again!!
  • Bayluvr
    Options
    You're not alone there, my friend. Those thoughts enter my head all the time. Hope I'm never compelled to test it though :s
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Xylitol..... also provides sudden relief from constipation, whether or not you're constipated, if you consume a micrograin too much. Swami urges Caution.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    Erythritol is one that is one that for most has been proved to be completely unabsorbed during digestion

Am I the only person who wonders, "if you eat a lot of erythritol, would your poop taste sweet?"

I should probably keep these questions to myself. It turns out, there are stupid questions.

:lol:

I am not signing up for this medical trial :o
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    Am I the only person who wonders, "if you eat a lot of erythritol, would your poop taste sweet?"
    No.
    I should probably keep these questions to myself.
    False.

True.
    I am not signing up for this medical trial :o
    False.

why-dogs-eat-cat-poop-48814.png
  • 40DayFit
    40DayFit Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Bayluvr wrote: »
    You're not alone there, my friend. Those thoughts enter my head all the time. Hope I'm never compelled to test it though :s

Fortunately, it's after Halloween...unlikely to be any Human Centipede action on the boards!
  • RalfLott
    Options
    @Bayluvr -

Aaaaack! I'd almost banished that vile memory from my mind....

sp_1501_clip11.jpg

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Erythritol is one that is one that for most has been proved to be completely unabsorbed during digestion

I should probably keep these questions to myself. It turns out, there are stupid questions.

:D Actually @FIT_Goat , you should wonder: "if you eat a lot of erythritol, would your pee taste sweet?" because your body excretes it as waste through urine. LOL
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »

:D Actually @FIT_Goat , you should wonder: "if you eat a lot of erythritol, would your pee taste sweet?" because your body excretes it as waste through urine. LOL

Mmmmmmmm sweet pee. Oh wait, I think that's tea... my bad
  • RalfLott
    Options
    This conversation had taken a peculiar turn...and as a nurse I delight in the sick and wrong conversations about bodily fluids!

Forgive me, for I have been woefully inattentive. My wife works in a hospital, and sitting down to a meal practically triggers a torrent of (would-be) gross work stories. You folks are a special (and indispensable) breed!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »

Mmmmmmmm sweet pee. Oh wait, I think that's tea... my bad

@Sunny_Bunny_ still ROLFLMAO!! :D
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options

Like the unicorn ice cream poop in that video..... ?
  • RalfLott
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »

Like the unicorn ice cream poop in that video..... ?

Aha! I always wondered how the wondrous unicorn was able to produce keto-ice cream. Now we know - the miracle of Erythritol, undigestable even for 8-stomached unicorns!

Thanks for clearing that up.