Cholesterol Numbers

JessicaLCHF
JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
So, I just got back my numbers for the five tests they did. I don't want to post them, but I'm hoping someone out there is braver than me? What are your numbers and what is a good range I should be looking for? The ones I got are cholesterol, triglycerides, LDL, HDL, and LDL ratio.

Replies

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    start with this:

https://medlineplus.gov/magazine/issues/summer12/articles/summer12pg6-7.html

However, now there is research showing there are 2 types of LDL and the vLDL is really the "bad" cholesterol. It is not commonly tested yet. My endo does check it but my PCP doesn't.

As for my numbers, I will be getting my first numbers since changing to this WOE in a few weeks. I will post them then.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    My last labs were in March, about 4 months into keto.
    My total cholesterol was in the 170s, HDL in the 70s, tris were around 60, fasting glucose was about 80. (Several years ago I had prediabetes and triglycerides in the 200s.)
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    I posted mine a few months ago in this forum, I'm sure if you searched for blood work you'd find a few examples.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,428 Member
    I just got mine back yesterday:

Total: 163
    HDL: 69
    LDL: 80
    Tri: 68
    Ratio: 2.5

I also go a VLDL reading whatever that means.

I've been eating this way of life for 1 year now. It has improved!
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    carlsoda wrote: »

I was looking for the article I read about this but can't find it. I know one of the presenters in the Keto Summit also mentioned this. The easiest way to explain is VLDL is part of the LDL number. It is very low density lipoprotein. It turns out LDL comes in 2 sizes. The larger is not really bad for you. VLDL is what is so bad. You want that number to be below 30.

Essentially LDL acts as a bandaid to damaged arteries. The full-sized LDL will get picked up by HDL once the damage is healed. The VLDL is so small it will work its way into the artery wall and even under it where the HDL can't pick it up. This is how the plaque builds up in your arteries is from the VLDL getting inside the artery walls and collecting there.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    http://highsteaks.com/cholesterol/
    What is “high” cholesterol?

An arbitrary number.

That’s right, it’s the medical game where everything’s made up and the points don’t matter.

Cholesterol levels are transient, like any other bit of stuff in your blood.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,428 Member
    cstehansen wrote: »
    carlsoda wrote: »

I was looking for the article I read about this but can't find it. I know one of the presenters in the Keto Summit also mentioned this. The easiest way to explain is VLDL is part of the LDL number. It is very low density lipoprotein. It turns out LDL comes in 2 sizes. The larger is not really bad for you. VLDL is what is so bad. You want that number to be below 30.

Essentially LDL acts as a bandaid to damaged arteries. The full-sized LDL will get picked up by HDL once the damage is healed. The VLDL is so small it will work its way into the artery wall and even under it where the HDL can't pick it up. This is how the plaque builds up in your arteries is from the VLDL getting inside the artery walls and collecting there.

Nice! Mine was 14, so I feel pretty good about that!
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    cstehansen wrote: »
    start with this:

https://medlineplus.gov/magazine/issues/summer12/articles/summer12pg6-7.html

However, now there is research showing there are 2 types of LDL and the vLDL is really the "bad" cholesterol. It is not commonly tested yet. My endo does check it but my PCP doesn't.

As for my numbers, I will be getting my first numbers since changing to this WOE in a few weeks. I will post them then.

Thanks, very helpful! And thanks all. This is the first cholesterol test Ive ever had. Im interested to see where it goes from here.