Help please. Eating greens in smoothie form?

Options
I could use some help please. I am trying the high fat low carb diet. I'm not good with eating veggies. I like broccoli, collard greens. My question is can I eat my green veggies like kale and other veggies in smoothie form? I know I'm not supposed to eat alot of fruit so I dont know how this will work. Please help.

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    @blastwvangel -

You sure can! Some strains of kale (some would say) are barely edible any other way.. .

If you like broccoli and collard greens AND you've found your way here to ask for tips - congratulations! You have a huge head start.

There are lots of resources for recipes you can pick up from folks here.

If you haven't run across the Launchpad thread yet, it will answer a maze of questions and plant some useful ideas in your head. I'll bump it for you so it pops up near the top of the list.

Good luck & welcome!

• blastwvangel
    blastwvangel Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    You sure can! Some strains of kale (some would say) are barely edible any other way.

If you like broccoli and collard greens, you have a head start!

Some make them but what about the fruit that is used.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

Able James (Fat Burning Man) loves a green smoothie. Here's how he makes them.

http://fatburningman.com/the-best-fat-burning-breakfast-green-smoothie/

On another note, I don't eat vegetables. I love them but they don't love me. I sneak a few bites here and there but that's it. So instead I eat more beef and I don't cook it to death. The more you cook it the more you cook the nutrients out.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    You sure can! Some strains of kale (some would say) are barely edible any other way.

Well, at some point, if you're like many of us here, you'll probably need to confront your sweet tooth/carb addiction. Options - give up sweets or find non-carb alternatives.

Stevia/erythritol liquid blend (green bottle) is good to mix in things and doesn't have the carb fillers that the powdered sweeteners do.

Other poss:ingredients:

Heavy cream
    Pure Cacao powder
    Pure vanilla extract (careful - some have added sugar! )
    Unsweetened coconut or almond milk
    Pine nuts
    Macadamia nuts
    Coconut/olive/avocado/MCT oil

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

It depends on your carb ceiling. Berries are a lot lower carb so a few strawberries, blueberries, and similar would work.

ETA: I Breathe I'm Hungry has a recipe for a green smoothie. Just search low-carb green smoothie on Mr. Google. I bet there are loads of recipes.
  • tshirtartist
    tshirtartist Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I make a green smoothie I love with 1 serving chocolate protein powder ( mine has no carbs), 2 cups of spinach, 1T almond butter, 1T coconut oil, and 8-12oz of almond milk and some ice (sometimes I freeze my spinach so I don't have to use ice). It is really yummy! I used to add blueberries but I don't notice it tastes that much different without it.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Although I do eat veggies, don't feel like you have to eat them. There are 2 reasons people feel like they have to eat them. First is for vitamins. The alphabet vitamins (A, B, C, etc) are found in animal fat. The reason the SAD says you need to eat veggies is because they tell you to not eat the animal fat.
    The second reason is for fiber. The dirty little secret is carbs bind you up, so if you aren't eating a bunch of carbs, you don't need all that fiber to push it through.
    The only reason I eat veggies is I have always been a high volume eater (all you can eat was always taken as a challenge by me) and the bulk of the veggies help with that and with slowing down how fast I tend to eat.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    My smoothie for pretty much every morning: Two cups almond milk, one scoop unflavored whey protein powder, one cup frozen spinach (to make the thing thick and icy) and whatever Skinny Syrup flavor happens to appeal that day. The reason I never eat frozen spinach as an actual vegetable is that it's tasteless which, of course, is its big advantage as a smoothie ingredient.

I have to admit that the "green" part of a green smoothie lacks visual appeal. But hey -- with 22 grams of protein, 4 grams net carbs and something as yummy as peppermint mocha or pumpkin caramel you just squint and get over it.
  • RalfLott
    edited November 2016
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    The dirty little secret is carbs bind you up, so if you aren't eating a bunch of carbs, you don't need all that fiber to push it through.

Hmm. Must be such a secret that my guts didn't get the message! :o
    For many of us, LC-HF is much more the tie that binds.....

• blastwvangel
    blastwvangel Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I need to add it seems that I am severly allergic to coconut.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    I need to add it seems that I am severly allergic to coconut.

You've got the basic tools - except knowing what tastes good to you. Good luck!
  • SoxyKitten
    SoxyKitten Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have a smoothie every morning to get some greens in as I'm a big veggie hater. Usually it's spinach, avocado, chia seeds & unflavoured whey protein with a scoop of leans greens.
  • solska
    solska Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Kale chips!