Calories vs Carbs

Options
mbonacci12
mbonacci12 Posts: 72 Member
Hi, I am new to this group. I have done the LCHF off and on and had some success, but want to keep it going. I still find that am afraid to eat more calories when I am staying within my daily carbs.
Do most watch both? How many calories on average do you allot? I am a woman 5'5. 159 lbs.
Thanks

Replies

• mrssto78
    mrssto78 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Calories aren't everything but they do matter. Eating LCHF should fill you up and keep you satisfied with fewer calories. I go by the calories MFP gave me for losing 2lb per week. I never even get close. Here is an old, but good article:
    https://www.atkins.com/how-it-works/atkins-blogs/colette-heimowitz/the-calorie-conundrum

Hope this helps. Best of luck!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    mrssto78 wrote: »
    Calories aren't everything but they do matter. Eating LCHF should fill you up and keep you satisfied with fewer calories. I go by the calories MFP gave me for losing 2lb per week. I never even get close. Here is an old, but good article:
    https://www.atkins.com/how-it-works/atkins-blogs/colette-heimowitz/the-calorie-conundrum

Hope this helps. Best of luck!

Good link.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Good blog.

I watched both, but I watched carbs closer. My calories were set at 1420kcal per day to lose about 1.5 lbs per week. I averaged 1500kcal, with some days down below 1000kcal and other days hitting 2500 kcal, and lost 2+lbs per week. My carbs were set at 18g but I rarely exceeded 25g and was often at or below my target.

I am 5'8" and started at about 190lbs.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Dr Adam Nally of Ketotalk with Jimmy and the Doc talked about one of his patients who was frustrated because after two months the scale hadn't moved. However, in that time she had lost 4 inches in her waist. She also had improved BG and other improvements.

It is important to remember the scale is not the only measure of success. There is a thread called NSVs that you should look at.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I watch carbs and cals both but I find I seem to care more about the carbs than I do the cals. I know they both matter but on days when I'm hungry I eat, regardless of the cals involved.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    No reason not to count carbs.... is there? It's another piece of info and may be helpful when troubleshooting stalls.

Carb tracking tends to require more attention to accurate measurement and consistent logging, which is often where the devil lurks

Also, hormones that turn hunger and thirst on and off become less effective over the years. It's great to follow your body - if all systems are running properly and your meters are calibrated....
  • mbonacci12
    mbonacci12 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your feedback.
  • lamiller82
    lamiller82 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If anything I struggle to get enough calories... I only have so much appetite for meat and cheese.