Anyone have a good Keto batter/fried mushroom recipe?

Options
RAC56
RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
I've been craving some deep fried mushrooms but oven fried (etc) would be fine too.

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Batter... That's tricky.

When I batter a meat it is usually in ground flaxmeal and often has a LOT of parmesan and nutritional yeast. I don't use any other flours.

I like mushrooms fried in butter, myself. ;)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of deep fried foods. Since eating keto I've not batter fried anything but still deep fry with a light dusting of corn starch, cornmeal or flour. It only takes about 1T of flour or cornmeal to lightly cover a 7-8 ounce fillet (fish). A "trick" is to lightly dust it then let it sit in the fridge for a half hour or so. That itty bit of coating will give you a little crunch when deep fried. I enjoy those 7 or so carbs. Same is true with the light dusting I still put on chicken or fish picatta. I pick and choose my carbs.

Now that I write this I'll have to give some consideration to batter and maybe see how little batter it might take to make something enjoyable and within my carbs limit. I've always preferred lightly battered anyway. How thin of a batter can I make and still have it stick? :)
  • solska
    solska Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    This isn't fried, but put a load of butter. I prefer shiratake mushrooms, my partner is a carnivore and he thinks it's like meat.
    Put them in a cast iron pan, drizzle some soy sauce and butter, put in the oven at 350. Enjoy!
  • lamiller82
    lamiller82 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I don't know... but now I'm hungry for fried mushrooms... and I don't make fried food!
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    These are all options I've used for deep frying, pan frying and oven frying. I always start with Coconut flour, then eggs and then you can finish the breading with:
    • Coconut flour
    • Ground pork rinds
    • Parmesan cheese
    • Carbquik

A caveat with Carbquik - Carbquik browns, then burns quickly. If you are frying something thick, like chicken that hasn't been pounded out, cook til breading is crisp then put on a rack, on a pan in the oven at about 350 until the meat cooks through. Breading stays crisp that way.

I have made a batter vs a dry shake with the Carbquik and it works well - so you could beer batter for example using that. I made really tasty onion rings that way.

You can add ingredients to these too - salt, pepper, Tony's, etc.
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    There's a thread in the LCD Recipes Group that might work for mushrooms: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10449129/keto-tempura-chicken#latest
  • RAC56
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas. :) I also found this online and it looks pretty good:

Crispy Oven Fried Garlic Mushrooms
    http://beautyandthefoodie.com/crispy-oven-fried-garlic-mushrooms/

• RAC56
    Options
    lamiller82 wrote: »
    I don't know... but now I'm hungry for fried mushrooms... and I don't make fried food!

Welcome Newbie. :) I hope some of the ideas on this thread will be a help.
  • lamiller82
    lamiller82 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    RAC56 wrote: »
    lamiller82 wrote: »

Welcome Newbie. :) I hope some of the ideas on this thread will be a help.

Haha... nah. I don't make fried food because I don't like cleaning up the mess of the splattered grease everywhere (even when I use the fry daddy...) and my house smelling like a frier. I have nothing against the food, just don't want to make them myself. :) Oven fries maybe.