New here

Options
dkginger
dkginger Posts: 167 Member
Hi Everyone,
I am starting keto tomorrow morning. I am 54, and 5'4" currently weigh about 180. I started my weight loss journey on Aug. 8 doing CICO. I lost 17 pounds by Sept 30 then I hit a month long plateau. This past week I finally broke through and lost another 2.6.
The only other time I've done low carb is Atkins several years ago. I have been keeping my whole carbs between about 80 and 120 so it shouldn't be that difficult of a transition.
I have an employee who has lost close to 200 pounds doing low carb. I think my body is ready for a change and I'd like to see some progress on the scale.
After researching many calculators I have decided on 25g or less of carbs, 100g fat, 80g protein. I grocery shopped today, have a 3 day keto induction menu rready and my ffirst week ready to go.
Thank you for this forum and any suggestions or help you can offer is welcome. I will be checking in with my progress. I'm a big believer of community support and will be posting often.
Kristine

Replies

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! It sounds like you're ready to do this! Check out the launchpad at the top of the hoard and make sure you know what to do about electrolytes. That can be the hardest part of going this low carb.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Hoard = board. Stupid autocorrect and now my phone won't let me edit my post.
  • dkginger
    Options
    I am an obsessive researcher and have perused all the pinned posts. I bought beef bullion cubes and full sodium chicken broth just in case. I also have magnesium. Hoping that my already limited carb diet will eliminate any symptoms. Thanks !
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    dkginger wrote: »
    I am an obsessive researcher and have perused all the pinned posts. I bought beef bullion cubes and full sodium chicken broth just in case. I also have magnesium. Hoping that my already limited carb diet will eliminate any symptoms. Thanks !

If you are an obsessive researcher, you have definitely found the right forum as there are many of us here. Regardless of your situation, there is someone here who has researched the matter to death - diabetes/IR, IF, thyroid, autoimmune issues, ADHD, blood lipids, etc. Obviously the launch pad is a great place to start, but you may also want to scroll through several pages of these threads because there are some really good ones on nearly every topic.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
    Be aware of the increased need for sodium. You will lose sodium with your glycogen stores and once you start making ketones and you must be taking in enough to prevent further electrolyte imbalance or you won't feel very good.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Welcome! People here are so helpful and supportive. I think you'll love it.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    Welcome to our little corner of the internet!
  • 805_blondie
    805_blondie Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I love this WOE, it's easy to sustain because you are rarely hungry and the food is so good. The first few days are the hardest, but it gets so much easier the longer you go. I had to focus on one meal at a time in the beginning and I made sure I planned my day beforehand so it would be harder to mess up. Good luck!
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Welcome. You sound as if you are ready to roll!
  • fatchimom
    fatchimom Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!!
  • dkginger
    Options
    Thanks everyone for such a warm welcome! I did great today however I am under in a few areas. Carbs are only at 7 which is fine, fat is at 63g with a goal of 100, protein at 72 goal is 80. I'm also just slightly under 1000 calories. It's after 9 pm. Any suggestions? Drink some heavy cream? HB egg with mayo? Some nuts? I'm not really Hungry. Just let it be?
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    if you're not hungry, you don't need to eat :) a great side effect of low carb
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! Going under seems to be normal sometimes, there'll be days you'll be ravenous, it all balances out. Happy Tuesday! :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Only eat if you're hungry and don't worry about hitting those numbers exactly
    If you were hungry right now and ate something that took you over on one but left you under on another it does NOT matter.
    Just keep the carbs low and eat real food.
  • dkginger
    Options
    Awesome responses. I did end up eating 1/2 an avocado just to get more fats in. Ended up at 11 net carbs for the day. I'm feeling great even though the scale went up. Likely due to the 100 oz of water I managed to get in!