The Soup is On!

Options
Hi All,
The cooler weather is here and I've been craving some soups. I found this Broccoli Cheddar Soup recipe and really enjoyed it. Do you have any soup recipes to share?
http://www.wholesomeyum.com/recipes/broccoli-cheese-soup-low-carb-gluten-free/

Replies

• LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I made some heavenly broccoli cheddar soup a few months back. The soup had heavy cream, cream cheese, and lots of cheese (and of course broccoli). It was hands down, the most amazing broccoli cheese soup. About 1-2 hours later, I had the WORST gas pains I have ever had. I have been too scared to remake this soup lol I'm not sure if it's from all the dairy or the fiber from the broccoli that caused this? But this is the recipe I used:

http://kellythekitchenkop.com/low-carb-broccoli-cheese-soup-recipe/
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I make sausage potato leek soup for my family, but I make a smaller pot for me without the potatoes. I use half and half in theirs and heavy cream in mine. It's delish!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    My favorite soup so far was the sausage, pepper, and spinach recipe over at ruled.me.
  • lamiller82
    lamiller82 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you count chili as a soup... but I make white chicken chili (without the beans). It's a cheesy high protein delight, with just the right amount of spice and heat.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    The cooler weather is here and I've been craving some soups. I found this Broccoli Cheddar Soup recipe and really enjoyed it. Do you have any soup recipes to share?
    http://www.wholesomeyum.com/recipes/broccoli-cheese-soup-low-carb-gluten-free/

Looks great! The site is nice, too.

Thx!
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    My husband is a very good sport when it comes to my new WOE and, in fact, is thinking about getting serious about carbs himself. Unfortunately he doesn't classify soup as a meal. At best it's a sort of snack or appetizer, no matter how hearty or thick I make it. If you can't eat it with a fork, it's "not very filling."

This doesn't of course, apply to gumbo made with enough flour-based roux to repair driveway cracks and served over a mountain of rice. THAT's a meal, Boudreaux.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    My husband is a very good sport when it comes to my new WOE and, in fact, is thinking about getting serious about carbs himself. Unfortunately he doesn't classify soup as a meal. At best it's a sort of snack or appetizer, no matter how hearty or thick I make it. If you can't eat it with a fork, it's "not very filling."

This doesn't of course, apply to gumbo made with enough flour-based roux to repair driveway cracks and served over a mountain of rice. THAT's a meal, Boudreaux.

Damn you, now I want gumbo.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,419 Member
    Options

I really miss hot soup with crusty buttery bread dipped in it. :) What I need to try and do is make some sort of really fat buttery thick soup and I bet it would be amazing. :) Heck got months now to work on it since it's November!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I made deer stew for the carnivores last night...jar of venison, jar of beets, can of tomatoes, several handfuls of frozen mixed vegetables, and beef and vegetable broth, season to taste...it was a great way to use up some home canned food that was gifted to us and the broths leftover from the halloween chili...
  • BT_rescuemom
    BT_rescuemom Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I threw together a soup that was really tasty. I had some chicken broth and frozen shredded chicken from the last time I did roast chicken, so I built it from that. It kind of turned out like a Tom Ka Gai soup. This made two servings

Broth 2 cups
    Chicken 230gm
    Lime juice 2 T
    Garlic crushed 2 cloves
    Cilantro 5gm
    Salt to taste
    Pepper to taste
    Turmeric 1/2 tsp
    Chili pepper (to taste)
    Coconut milk 70ml

I think that was it. You can adjust the spices or add veggies if you want (mushroom, onion, etc...) I just didn't have any in the house.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I made this Curry and Coconut Pumpkin Soup last week and boy is it delicious!

I made a few changes. I used full fat coconut milk instead of light coconut milk. I left out the apples and used 1/2 the amount of onions to reduce the carbs. Switched up the spice mixture just a bit based on what I had available.

I made it in my crock pot. It took about 5 minutes to put it together. So easy and so yummy! Plus, it made the house smell great!!

http://www.wickedstuffed.com/keto-recipes/low-carb-pumpkin-soup-recipe-curry-coconut/
  • liberella
    liberella Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    lamiller82 wrote: »
    I don't know if you count chili as a soup... but I make white chicken chili (without the beans). It's a cheesy high protein delight, with just the right amount of spice and heat.

Would love that recipe!
  • Midnightgypsy0
    Midnightgypsy0 Posts: 177 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Search for "Sacred Heart Soup".
    Have a recipe somewhere. Basically cabbage, tomatoes, celery, broth, and any other veggies you like.
    I usually add some kind of meat. Fatty pork or chicken is good.
    No pasta, barley, potatoes, or rice. Low carb. Low calorie.
    Mine is different every time.

Apparently it's used in the Sacred Heart hospital when they need weight loss prior to surgery.

Personally I wouldn't recommend the diet plan as I find it a bit extreme. But the soup was good.

Here's one link but there are many variations.
    http://www.heart-health-guide.com/sacred-heart-health-diet.html
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I make lots of soups all year round...chicken, turkey, broccoli cheddar, tomato, Yummy yummy yummy! If you read the thread in which I walked through making sauces, you'd understand why I'd not share my recipes for the above here...it's all throw it in til it tastes good. If I want a creamy soup I make a roux as the base cooks and if I want one that's not creamy I slow cook until it's all well flavored.

I love to cook I just rarely work with a tried and true recipe. Everything is by "what seems to be a good idea at the time".
  • Midnightgypsy0
    Midnightgypsy0 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    @RowdysLady , isn't that the way all the best cooks do it?
    I know I do...
    :)
  • lamiller82
    lamiller82 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    liberella wrote: »
    lamiller82 wrote: »

Would love that recipe!

I'm one of those cooks that doesn't measure anything... but I can tell you what I put in.

shredded chicken (white or dark... whatever's on sale. I slow cook it, drain the broth for other recipes, then shred back into the crock. You could use rotisserie. )
    canned chopped green chilies
    minced garlic
    cayenne pepper
    cumin
    white beans (if I'm making it for others)
    salt and pepper to taste
    once that is cooked together, stir in:
    jack cheese (or pepper jack... depending on preferred heat level)
    and sour cream

• krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    My favorite is cauliflower cheese
    1 head of cauliflower
    3 cans of veggie broth
    Cook cauliflower till tender then blend til
    Smooth
    Add salt pepper and 8 oz of cheddar cheese and done.