GoaD on the Run - Monday 11/7

Options
jbrack381us
jbrack381us Posts: 345 Member
This thread is for GOADies who like to run. New runners, old runners, and even wannabe runners meet here to discuss the joys and challenges of running. Use this space to log your miles, ask questions, share your race reports, or for anything else related to running.

New runners - and even those just thinking about starting out - are always welcome. There's no reason to lurk here. Join the pack and tell us about your running!

Oftentimes the GotR thread will pose a question or raise an issue in order to facilitate the conversation, but this is always an open forum to chat about any running-related topic.

Today's Topic: Interested in a Virtual Race?

Thanksgiving week 5K/1M Virtual Walk/Run Race – Get Moving to Outpace Hunger

There is no entry fee like a normal race. However, I would like to propose an optional/voluntary entry offering:

1) Donate at least one non-perishable food item OR
2) At least $1 to a local food pantry/charity OR
3) 1 hour service to a local/national/global organization of your choice working with providing meals/food to folks in need.

If you wanted to do more than the minimum, that is your call. If you do not want to do any of the 3 and just want to join the run, that is fine as well. Nothing about this is mandatory. It also gives everyone a week or so to work on doing at least one of the three options, if they so choose.

If you want to participate, just let me know on the front end, then I will know to look for you and your time once Thanksgiving week is over or just post it to the GotR thread so that I can tabulate the results.

Replies

• gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Great idea! I can certainly do this (#2). I will likely do my own 5K on Thanksgiving morning. I've run organized races before but the time I lose with having to get there early then fight the crowds to get back home in time to start the turkey make it too stressful. Instead I can just run on my own, hit the fitness center for a stretch and shower and then get dinner cooking.
  • jbrack381us
    Options
    2.5 mi on Saturday before sunset. I have a cert exam coming up in 2 Saturdays and my running may slack some as I kick into high study gear.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Hi, guys. 3 miles this morning. Felt great to get out in the AM for a change.

@jbrack381us, I'm down for a GotR virtual run. Good idea! I haven't yet decided what I'm doing on Thanksgiving. I may race the local 5K put on by the distance runners at our high school, or might just run on my own.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Sure appreciated running without needing lights this morning. An easy 4.6 miles. 53 degrees still in our area but it will be getting cooler.
  • StuartPW
    StuartPW Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    A Turkey Trot is a great idea. Don't know if I will be able to join you as we have family coming in from out of state. I hate to run with them because they are way fast. However I am old and treacherous so that evens the odds. ;)
  • jbrack381us
    Options
    @StuartPW To clarify for you and anybody else that wants to participate. You just have to complete the 5K or the 1 mile sometime during the week of Thanksgiving. So, from Monday before to the Sunday after Thanksgiving, just get out and get 'er done.

There is no requirement to have to do this specifically on Thanksgiving Day.
  • StuartPW
    StuartPW Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    @jbrack381us, thanks for the clarification. I am certain to get out and do some miles before I start to wobble like a turkey. :p