Please get your shingles shot!

Options
ker95texas
ker95texas Posts: 304 Member
(don't be like me :s )
I had my first shingles about a year or two ago. I was lucky - it was really a fairly mild bout. Did some research and experts say 'it's highly unlikely that a person will get shingles more than once.' Guess I should have read further because
I'm one of the unusual ones. Started getting an outbreak this weekend (again, luckily fairly mild so far) BUT husband apparently never had chicken pox as a child, and never got around to getting vaccinated (even though an RN friend and I would remind him periodically).
Yup, Rick has chicken pox. Not good as an adult. He's contagious (and does most of his work in a hospital/clinic environment) so he's stuck at home and not happy about it.
Not sure who gave what to who or even if that's what happened (I suspect I gave it to him), but both of us have sworn to get our shingles shot after this stuff has passed this time.
Bottom line - if you or the folks you see regularly haven't had chicken pox, please get a vaccination for it. And if you have... get the dratted shingles shot! Please <3

Replies

• CrisEBTrue
    CrisEBTrue Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I got my shot!! I'm sorry you've had it--more than once! GAK! :/
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    Marilyn, so sorry to hear you have shingles. A coworker of mine and my cousin, both had bouts that lasted about a year long, kept nagging me to get the vaccination so I did along with DH. He has all kinds of skin issues, so would probably gotten shingles if he wasn't vaccinated. It can be so very painful, no one should risk it.

Hoping your bout is mild and you get over it very quickly.
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes get your shingles shot. But be aware that having the shot doesn't prevent shingles. I had my shot a few years ago. Got shingles last month. Dr. says that 50% of those who get the shot will get shingles someday. Upside is that the cases are mild if one has had the shot. I can tell you that a mild case of shingles lasts 2 weeks and is not fun!

The best way to prevent shingles is to keep the stress down. After I got shingles, I went to the library and checked out a book and CD on Meditation. When the due date to return it to the library came, last week, I returned it, unopened. Some people have a longer path to learning ...
  • ker95texas
    ker95texas Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I keep thinking that this stuff will be over (it's been more than a week), but when one patch starts fading, another appears. Most current group is on my knee. And it ITCHES grrrrr.
    Not good news about 50% effectiveness on the shot, and so sorry you had it as well :s
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I turned 66 yesterday! I got my first shingles shot last month.... hope to never get that cursed malady. It seems odd being this old / young haha
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Ker, we knew about the 50%, but they also tell you it is much less painful and doesn't last as long. So we went for the shot. I read a lot of medical related sites and there are hints that a new vaccine might be coming along within the next 5 yrs that will be much better than the current one. Will be interesting to see how that goes.

I hope your bout is healed.
  • Limon421
    Limon421 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Husband has them bad right now, he had them once before several years ago. Doc says he's contagious to anyone who hasn't assad chicken pox. Watching him close since he is on dialysis and has a permanent catheter in his abdomen.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Hope he heals quickly. Take care you don't "catch" them either!
  • seeingthelight
    seeingthelight Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    We all need to be aware of shingles and what they are! The main thing is to get to the doctor quickly if you have pain along a nerve path on one side of your body. There are medicines that can make shingles much more bearable if started early in the illness. If you are a non doctor person and keep thinking it will go away - you will suffer, believe me! Get the shot but continue to be alert for shingles and get to a doctor!