cocktail sauce

Options
kennygang
kennygang Posts: 93 Member
I love having shrimp dipped in cocktail sauce but when I looked at the label on jar of cocktail sauce I was shocked. Does anyone have a recipe for homemade cocktail sauce???

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I don't, but here is a ruled me recipe and an atkins one. Remember that tomatoes have natural sugars, so if you go with an no-sugar added base, you're just getting the natural ones.

http://www.ruled.me/cocktail-sauce-keto-style/#

https://www.atkins.com/recipes/cocktail-sauce/634

There were many other recipes showing, and I googled "Keto Cocktail Sauce" if you want to go poke around...
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I just use Walden Farms calorie free Bacon dressing to dip my shrimp in. I expecting it to suck, but man, those things are *kitten* amazing.
  • kennygang
    Options
    thanks I will check these out!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I make my own cocktail sauce mostly because cocktail sauce is not something we eat much of. All that's needed is ketchup, lemon juice and horseradish.

The only carbs would be in the ketchup and if you want to minimize those carbs more, you can purchase low sugar ketchup. The difference for Heinz is 5 carbs per tablespoon of regular ketchup versus 1 carb per TBsp in their low sugar ketchup (at least according to the MFP database.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    FYI, Lemon juice does have carbs, but they aren't ridiculous, either...
  • kennygang
    Options
    I never tried low sugar ketchup....how does the taste compare to regular ketchup?
  • kpk54
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    FYI, Lemon juice does have carbs, but they aren't ridiculous, either...

True. I tend to worry more about carbs in a cookie versus fractional carbs in a 1/2 tsp of lemon juice for a condiment. <3
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    kennygang wrote: »
    I never tried low sugar ketchup....how does the taste compare to regular ketchup?

@kennygang - I don't know NOW, but when I was a sugar-burner in my past life, it tasted terrible, about how diet soda does to a leaded soda drinker...so I would think as long as it doesn't have a lot of artificial sweeteners or ingredients, it should be okay...but it isn't too terrible to make your own, either, to my understanding.
  • PollanDP
    PollanDP Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I actually just switched to the low sugar version and it is not too bad. I LOVE ketchup and can eat huge quantities (Like to dip my meat in it). I had to switch. The carbs were killing me.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,415 Member
    Options
    To me, the low-sugar heinz still tastes better than many brands regular ketchups. I don't use it alot but sometimes I like a tbsp with eggs and smoked sausage and the 1carb deal is pretty sweet.

To make homemade cocktail sauce, I stole it from my husband's grandmother... it's pretty much equal parts extra-hot horseradish and ketchup. No lemon juice of anything. I love her cocktail sauce so much, I pretty much only eat cold cocktail shrimp so I can shove it in my mouth, lol.
  • kpk54
    Options

I'd give it try because the horseradish with a bit of lemon juice (in my version) is as predominate as the ketchup and I really don't make it super "horseradish-y" though it does have a nice bite. You might find the lemon juice to be non-essential. I too favor Heinz (at least in the regular)
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options

About the same. The low-sugar version of Heinz isn't quite as sweet as regular ketchup and is slightly more bitter because it has less sugar but despite that I like it and use it.
  • mbonacci12
    mbonacci12 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    The low sugar ketchup tastes good, not as sweet. I found it to be not as thick, a little runny.
  • kennygang
    Options
    thank you all. I will pick some up this weekend......
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Ditto the above: low-sugar Heinz ketchup is a must on my bun-less burgers. Not too much difference from the regular.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Interestingly, I found that the low-sugar ketchup actually tastes a lot like cocktail sauce, due to the sweetness being stripped down. Texture is a lot different, but the taste is rather similar.
  • sceleste54
    sceleste54 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Instead of traditional cocktail sauce, how about a homemade tarter sauce? I mix full fat mayo with horseradish and finely chopped dill pickle, a dab of whole grain mustard, s & p & stevia to taste. I have come to prefer it..:)
  • kennygang
    Options
    sounds really good!