Fairly new here....

Options
Hey guys, I'm about a month in and I've been feeling great, eating to satisfaction and I've lowered my carbs to an average of 20 per day. I'm taking magnesium, using Himalayan salt, and I'm finally getting some good sleep. Thanks for all the support. This is the first day in a month that I have felt completely exhausted, just a fluke thing or this this normal around this time?

Replies

• Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Might be a fluke, hard to say after just one off day, apart from exhaustion do you have any other symptoms?

Btw also wanted to say Welcome! Always nice to see a new face and watch a new journey happening.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    Welcome! The feeling is probably a fluke, I have been LC/Keto for about 7 months and except for an initial let-down in my workouts that passed in a couple of weeks, I haven't had any problems (and actually have way more energy now than I did eating lots of carbs).

Have you noticed any other things that are off... like different eating schedules or other symptoms?
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard!!
  • jenngerpeacox
    jenngerpeacox Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I was feeling dizzy this morning almost kinda foggy like my contacts weren't in right. I used a bit more salt and drank some sf Gatorade and that seemed to help that. Could be a fluke...I'm hoping, I'm bordering on not being able to function. I'm drinking plenty of water...meals are spread out seven am, noon, and five (sorry numbers not working at the moment) with an occasional snack. We will see tomorrow. Thanks guys.
  • jenngerpeacox
    Options
    Oh and another thing, sorry for the TMI, but it has been several days since I've had a bowel movement. I don't feel constipated or bloated, but I'm sure that can't be a good thing!
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Oh and another thing, sorry for the TMI, but it has been several days since I've had a bowel movement. I don't feel constipated or bloated, but I'm sure that can't be a good thing!

No worries about TMI around here. We actually have full threads on this topic if you look back a ways.

With this WOE, I know you have noticed the volume of food eaten is less. There is also less "extra" eaten, so the amount of waste is going to be less. You have likely noticed being less gassy as well.

It may take a time for your body to get used to the reduced fiber and volume. If you do start feeling backed up, you can try extra magnesium in the form of milk of magnesia. I would suggest taking only a small amount at first unless you don't mind being chained to the throne for a while.

From what I can tell, most people's bodies become regular in time although I have seen some say they need this little extra help more regularly.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    BM volume does seem to go down as carbs are reduced. Less bulking fibre results in less bulk, and lower frequency. Save on toilet paper. ;)

It could be a fluke, or coincidence, that you are feeling poorly. Could you be fighting something off?

My guess though is that lower electrolytes is catching up to you. Many very low carbers need 3000-5000+mg of sodium per day. That's over 2 teaspoons of salt. You might need more than just salting your food. Try drinking broth, using salt tablets, adding a teaspoon of salt to water, or making keto-ade. You may need a bit of extra potassium and magnesium too; those can get low after sodium gets low.

Try some salty broth and see if that helps. :)
  • 40DayFit
    40DayFit Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Smooth Move (senna) tea: drank some last night after feeling some ongoing constipation... This morning? Freedom. Just take one cup, very occasionally, for those times when movement needs a gentle little "push."
  • 40DayFit
    40DayFit Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Oh--and allow 6-12 hours for effect. Don't use the night before important business meetings!
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Or...if you want something to happen right now and have it over and done with...try a salt flush. Just google. This became a "thing" after Beyoncé did her "lemonade cleanse". I have done in lieu of an enema as prep for a medical procedure. If there is anything in your GI tract you can expect results in 20-30 min.

Assuming you are healthy...salt flush is no big deal for a healthy person.
  • josgall
    josgall Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm new here too! Nice to meet you. I was just thinking , is it possible you've calculated your TEE too low? Have you increased your amount of physical activity recently or do you think you may need to increase your overall daily intake by a couple of hundred calories? Don't let yourself get to where you see stars and want to pass out! I did that 8 years ago on Atkins and I ended up having a rough day!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    My guess though is that lower electrolytes is catching up to you. Many very low carbers need 3000-5000+mg of sodium per day. That's over 2 teaspoons of salt. You might need more than just salting your food. Try drinking broth, using salt tablets, adding a teaspoon of salt to water, or making keto-ade. You may need a bit of extra potassium and magnesium too; those can get low after sodium gets low.

Yeah, second this ^^^^ 100%.
  • emaline2210
    emaline2210 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I think it's the moon! I was feeling that way too and had to go back to bed after my morning workout. I was super nauseous and felt like I might pass out on every machine. Just chalked it up to an off day, but electrolytes are always a factor, it seems.

I've also noticed that sometimes I feel like I'm eating enough, but when I track it, it's very low and leads to dips in my energy.
  • jenngerpeacox
    Options
    josgall wrote: »
    is it possible you've calculated your TEE too low?

Thank you Josgall, What is TEE? Sorry I'm trying to figure out a lot of these acronyms.
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I haven't gotten out of bed yet but have a headache. I need to pick up some broth or ingredients to make some. I knew I had boullion cubes on hand but threw them out last week because they were full of MSG. I'm going to pick up some spinach too; great for magnesium (1 cup 40% DV) and potassium (24% DV), and some smooth move(thanks @40DayFit) or milk of magnesia (thanks @cstehansen).
    I think it could be constipation? Last night I was having some trouble in the bathroom. Salt water would probably help with that too right?

Oh another thing I thought of too is at times I have low BP. It is very good from day to day but for some reason it can get low like when I have procedures or even during the day (but rarely). I probably do need to add a lot more salt, according to my daily level I'm hovering around 3000.

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    There are peeps on this WOE (way of eating) that regularly consume between 4000 and 5000 mg of salt daily with no problems so don't worry about upping the salt over 3000 mg.

TDEE is total daily energy expenditure - it is the total of your BMR (which is what your body burns just to stay alive on a normal day) plus the calories that you expend doing things like exercise. There are several calculators available to figure this number out (Google is your friend).

Given that you woke up with the headache, my guess would be electrolytes - more salt/potassium/magnesium.

@emaline2210 - whenever I feel like that, it is always because my salt levels are low (not because my food levels are low) - I can feel like that, eat a meal/snack/whatever that is high in salt and as soon as I am done I feel like going right back to the gym.

edited because spelling :s
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Agree, if you are waking with a headache, it probably is sodium/electrolytes. Also, in terms of spinach, that 40% number is for cooked spinach where a cup is a whole lot more than a cup of raw. I eat both, but just wanted to make sure you saw the difference.
  • josgall
    josgall Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    TDEE is total daily energy expenditure - it is the total of your BMR (which is what your body burns just to stay alive on a normal day) plus the calories that you expend doing things like exercise. There are several calculators available to figure this number out (Google is your friend).

This is what I was getting at @jenngerpeacox

Given that you woke up with the headache, my guess would be electrolytes - more salt/potassium/magnesium.

@emaline2210 - whenever I feel like that, it is always because my salt levels are low (not because my food levels are low) - I can feel like that, eat a meal/snack/whatever that is high in salt and as soon as I am done I feel like going right back to the gym.

This is what I'm here for @ccrdragon .... to learn more things like this from people like you.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Another vote for electrolytes.

I didn't get "keto flu" when I started, but have had the occasional headachy, feel like crap day. Generally, it's first thing in the morning. So I mix 1/2 tsp lite salt and a squirt of lemon in about 4 oz of water and chug it. It's horrid, but I feel 100% better within 30 minutes.
  • jenngerpeacox
    Options

edited because spelling :s

Must have been what it was! Thank you! I loaded my breakfast down with salt this morning, getting half of what I normally get in a day and headache is gone and I feel great again! Amazing how salt is the answer.
    cstehansen wrote: »
    Agree, if you are waking with a headache, it probably is sodium/electrolytes. Also, in terms of spinach, that 40% number is for cooked spinach where a cup is a whole lot more than a cup of raw. I eat both, but just wanted to make sure you saw the difference.

Thanks for the tip on the spinach, I definitely would have thought raw and just gone with that.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard new folks! I've nothing to add to the topic, it's been covered well, but wanted to say hi!