Low Carb Dessert Options for gathering

Options
leasah
leasah Posts: 107 Member
My husband and I will be attending a get together tonight and have been asked to bring a dessert. We are both just a week in to really tracking our carbs and are staying right around 20ish. Is there a go to dessert anyone can suggest that I can purchase or make that everyone will enjoy and allow us to partake? I've looked at tons of recipes and most have tons of ingredients I do not normally use and/or a ton of artificial sweetener. I really try to stay away from the artificial stuff but if there is a recipe that does not taste like it has it, I'm open to that as well. If not plan B is we just skip dessert and take what we think everyone else will enjoy.

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    You could make little berry cups layered with stevia/erythritol sweetened whipped cream. If you're really in a rush you can use the sugar free cool whip instead.
    I've done this in a larger serving bowl. It starts out pretty then looks a bit rough. Lol
    If you can use individual clear plastic cups it'll stay looking really nice too.
    If you're open to using a sugar free pudding you can blend the cheesecake or other flavor into the cream and even add some cream cheese to make it more cheesecake like if you want. You could also just add cream cheese to whipping cream with your sweetener and vanilla and skip the jello mix.
    Could even add some coursely chopped almonds or pecans in the layers or on top.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    You could make little berry cups layered with stevia/erythritol sweetened whipped cream. If you're really in a rush you can use the sugar free cool whip instead.
    I've done this in a larger serving bowl. It starts out pretty then looks a bit rough. Lol
    If you can use individual clear plastic cups it'll stay looking really nice too.
    If you're open to using a sugar free pudding you can blend the cheesecake or other flavor into the cream and even add some cream cheese to make it more cheesecake like if you want. You could also just add cream cheese to whipping cream with your sweetener and vanilla and skip the jello mix.
    Could even add some coursely chopped almonds or pecans in the layers or on top.

I like how you think. I have been pondering Thanksgiving, I am going to provide a pie for everyone else but I wanted something that I know won't mess me up for a week with cravings. Now I have an idea :) pudding, cream cheese and some heavy whipping cream. What more could a girl ask for??!!
  • emaline2210
    emaline2210 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Whipped cream and berries. Put some vanilla in the whipped cream, and have some honey or chocolate or caramel sauce on the side for others to drizzle if they'd like!

You can also provide some vanilla wafers or other simple cookie for others.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Whipped cream and berries. Put some vanilla in the whipped cream, and have some honey or chocolate or caramel sauce on the side for others to drizzle if they'd like!

That's a pretty good idea to me. I often take/make a bowl of strawberries/blueberries for our Red White & Blue get togethers with pound cake and whipped cream on the side. Everyone takes as much or as little of each as they want. Need to remember the chocolate sauce next time. :)
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Such nice ideas from everyone! When I had a bigger income, I used to take cruises quite a bit and would always order the cheese plate as my dessert. Cheese is a dessert!!!
  • leasah
    leasah Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I make cheesecake with splenda instead of sugar and half as much crust as usual (I don't eat the crust anyway, but most people prefer it and it's easier to get out of the pan with a crust)...it tastes just like regular cheesecake and cuts the carbs way down...
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I make cheesecake with splenda instead of sugar and half as much crust as usual (I don't eat the crust anyway, but most people prefer it and it's easier to get out of the pan with a crust)...it tastes just like regular cheesecake and cuts the carbs way down...

When I made a cheesecake for my first keto birthday I made a crust by just pressing almond flour with butter into the bottom of the pan. Held together with no issues when cut and kept it grain free. Then you can even have a thicker crust still if you want.
  • 805_blondie
    805_blondie Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I found this recipe that I plan on making for my bday in a week.
    http://screwedonstraight.net/new-york-style-keto-cheesecake/
  • MKknits
    MKknits Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I made the caveman keto cheesecake and it's great.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options

you could have chopped nuts (pecan or walnuts are both great) to top the whipped cream, I do that all the time, yummo. More fat, fiber, and protein too.
  • MariahMichaels
    MariahMichaels Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    @MKknits please post the recipe for the caveman keto cheesecake?
  • grafixfrh
    grafixfrh Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If just cannot avoid eating something for a dessert I would suggest a piece of 85% or above chocolate and a few berries if you must. The best thing to do is get the mind off of sweets totally and no more worries and the cortisol it creates from stressing over wanting a dessert haha. Keto on!!!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    grafixfrh wrote: »
    and no more worries and the cortisol it creates from stressing

This right here is SUCH a critical factor!! Our brains are controlling so many chemical squirts all day every day, and the more we can remain on an even keel, the better.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    The last time I made dessert (for dinner guests here at home) I cooked some apples (very briefly, just until tender) in caramel flavored Skinny Syrup and topped them with chopped nuts and whipped cream. No one complained. There's another Skinny Syrup flavor, Pumpkin Caramel, that is even better; it's sold at Bed Bath and Beyond November-January only.

But cheesecake sounds spot on right now. I may make it just for DH and myself, and top it with the apples. We rarely eat dessert but it's going to be just the two of us for Thanksgiving so that would be something special.
  • Rainqueen77
    Rainqueen77 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I made my mother a personal cheese cake in a ramekin. Ran some pecans thru the ninja added melted butter and squished it in the bottom, toasted that up. Then I mixed up some cream cheese, butter, HWC and a bit of sweetener. Topped it with a few raspberries. She loved it!
  • kiwiapplepear
    kiwiapplepear Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have just discovered that Rhubarb is pretty low carb!
    ½ cup diced rhubarb: 1.5 grams effective (net) carbohydrate plus 1 gram fiber and 13 calories.
    1 medium rhubarb stalk (a little over 2 ounces): 2 grams effective (net) carbohydrate plus 1 gram fiber and 11 calories. This is exciting for me as I really love it, and i grow it in my garden, just going to have to experiment with how little erythritol I can get away with using to make it palatable, I don't use much sweeteners so hopefully not too many, but that opens up possibilities for crumbles, Rhubarb pannacotta, cheesecakes, stewed with low carb pancakes etc etc....
  • kiwiapplepear
    kiwiapplepear Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    apparently some people eat the raw stalks with salt! remember the leaves are poisonous
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    apparently some people eat the raw stalks with salt! remember the leaves are poisonous

Yep...as kids, that was our candy...but we did dip the stalks in sugar. As a skinny kid I could afford to do that...no more. Years since I have eaten raw rhubarb. :( I've never tried it with salt...that sounds interesting...I must try.