Nutrition: Who eats better, you or your horse?

Options
crimsongrey
crimsongrey Posts: 329 Member
Am I the only one who spends more time analyzing their horse's nutrition than their own? My horses look great! I think I need to spend more time thinking about the food I put in my mouth :D

Replies

• ehovius
    ehovius Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That is the great thing about food logging. You think about the item, and if you really want it before consuming. Well, most of the time. :)
  • HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I try, but I think my horse eats better. Trakehner mares are very energetic. At our last barn, she at twice as much as the Clydesdale cross in the stall next to her. Aurora (my horse) gets a specific blend of grains three times a day, and has a hay net available to her all day, full of Orchard Grass hay that measures a specific percentage of protein. At night, she is in her own pasture, with hay. (Despite being 17.3 hands high, she is a goofy weinie, and will get beat up if she is in a pasture with other mares. At the last barn we were out, they put her out at night with the babies. (She is next to a pasture of other mares, so she can "be with" other horses if she wants.) She takes a supplement for her hooves and coat. She is definitely prettier than me, LOL!
  • crimsongrey
    crimsongrey Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Love Trakehners <3 I used to board one of my OTTB's at a barn with about 30 Trak's. I've ridden many and even started one :smiley: They are definitely prettier than me haha!
    I don't like the grain offered at the barn where I'm at now so I buy Triple Crown Senior and alfalfa pellets so my boys feel and look their best. I make up baggies with the exact amounts of feed and supplements for each horse (I try to stay as low maintenance as possible, but admit to being picky about my horse care). Now that I'm paying more attention to what I eat, I pack my "baggies" for the day before I leave the house. Maybe I'll look as good as my boys pretty soon???
  • snookb276
    snookb276 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    The horses definitely eat better or at least more. Maybe they need a MFP judging from their mid sections. Lol