Post-election eating....need support.

Joined MFP a few weeks ago. I'm a mom of 5-year old twins and was doing great!! Lost 5lbs, mood elevated, and for the first time in 5 years I was beginning to feel hopeful and being mindful of my eating and health. I felt like I rediscovered a part of myself I had lost due to other traumatic circumstances that occurred in my life a few years ago.
Then after the election, I have taken a tailspin back into eating to relieve anxiety and dread. I get it, more than half of us know the result sucks and is mortifying; but that is not the point here, so PLEASE: let's not get into the politcal spouting and squawking here--it'll just
make things worse for those dealing with this very real and reasonable fear and anxiety. There are a number genuine personal and valid reasons for the way I am feeling,

And that's the main point--UNCOMFORTABLE FEELINGS. No matter what has has caused these feelings to emerge or to resurface; I, and most likely others, are needing support for how to deal with the feelings of amid uncertainty that will most likely persist for at least the next few years every time one opens the news, and I'm sure I'm not the only one dealing with this very real reality.

Look, I'm educated and very self and socially aware. I am loving, kind, and through the years have learned to deal with change, tragedy, joys, and have adjusted my sails when the wind and storms of life change direction and go adrift. During theses times, it's always helpful to be reminded of the values and inspiration and unity of understanding, love, acceptance, hope, concern and the courage to face adversity.

With that, I'm honest and aware enough to know that when one needs support, it's usually healing and beneficial to reach out towards others.
I'm reaching out for only kind, loving, thoughtful and supportive MFP's to help one another along this journey. Thanks....

Replies

• judis100
    judis100 Posts: 63 Member
    I totally hear you! I binged thoughtlessly last Wednesday, tried to rein myself in Thursday but found myself holding an empty bag of nut mix (previously full) Thursday night. It didn't help that my kid came home from school upset because one of her "friends" told her she was going to be deported (because she was born in another country). Brutal fear of failure coupled with hard exercise, including a hike over the weekend, helped me stay on track after that. And calling/talking with/walking with like minded people has helped me too. Also I kind of checked out from all media (including MFP sadly) for many days and I think that has helped, though I'm ready to pay attention again.

For me, the key to not eating my anxiety is to have something to hold onto that's stronger than my discomfort - for me that's getting/staying healthy for myself and my kids, remembering how priceless my mother's support and advice was for me in mid-life and wanting to be able to offer that to my kids. (And exercise helps keep me centered on that).

Good luck! Keep posting!
  • Mersie1
    Mersie1 Posts: 329 Member
    Feelings of anxiety/fear/sorrow can be brutal and yes this election has triggered those for many! As you said, the origin of the challenging feelings isn't what you're concerned w right now, it's how to deal w them, manage them, sit through them... I have found substituting the words "I could" instead of "I should" helps me be more compassionate towards myself and reminds me I have choices. So if I say I should go for a run, or I should eat... I change it to I could, and then I start thinking of all of my choices, I could call a friend, eat something different, eat it later... also look into grounding exercises- like tapping.
    Good for you for reaching out. A friend of mine irl- who is struggling like many of us w the results calls/texts me just to cry- then we move on! Better days are ahead- we are here for you here, if you need us!
  • Gracedtimes2
    Gracedtimes2 Posts: 38 Member
    First Judis, I'm so sorry to hear about the harassment of your child. How heartbreaking. I feel sadness and anger when I hear about the unwarranted and cruel treatment of others. I'm truly sorry.
    And as you stated, to help deal with the negative effects currently occurring and what may arise in the future, taking care of ourselves, taking time to reflect and process, and surrounding ourselves with others who are loving and understand the complexity and the gravity of the situation, will help redirect those feelings into positive action.
    And yes, I totally agree, as moms, it's essential that we stand strong so we can create a positive and loving future for our children no matter what dark circumstances arise.
    It sounds like you are getting re-centered and back in track. I'm getting there as well. Im back on track with my exercise, journaling, talking with friends, and I've joined a couple of uniting and loving groups that are doing what they can to combat the negative effects of this stain will have in our history.

And Mersie, Yes!! Beautiful. Yes! Thank you.