Thanksgiving menu - help

Options
This is my first year for lo carb / Keto with Thanksgiving in sight? Curious about your menu what are your plans to stay on lo carb or keto?
I am normally the cook with Thanksgiving at my house. Help!

Replies

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,413 Member
    Options
    Turkey, ham(bone in ham, not that spiral cut glazed crap), mashed turnips with a ton of butter, a cheesy cauliflower casserole, a keto green been casserole, bacon-roasted Brussel sprouts, shrimp and homemade low-carb cocktail sauce, cheese and meat platter, (I like kielbasa, but salami, pepperoni, summer sausage all work), veggie tray with a good high fat ranch dip, deviled eggs, ham and cream cheese rolled around pickle spears,

For desert, low carb cheesecake with a nut crust, or berries and real whipped cream, either unsweetened or with a touch of liquid splenda.
  • redimock
    redimock Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'm going to make the "normal" Thanksgiving foods for my family (I'm the only keto one), and try a few new recipes for sides for me.

I saw this "stuffing" recently, and I'm going to try it:

http://simplysohealthy.com/low-carb-pecan-stuffing/

These brussels sprouts look amazing (without the breadcrumbs):

http://lovefoodies.com/bacon-and-brussels-sprouts-gratin.html

For my own dessert I was thinking of dipping some macadamia nuts in 86% cacao chocolate. I might just skip dessert though. My favorite Thanksgiving food is green bean casserole, so I'm going to try to find a low carb version of that.....
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    We're getting together with others and I will be the only low carb eater there. I'm taking fresh green beans with slivered almonds and bacon so I will have something minimally carby for my plate in addition to turkey/ham.

I'll try a little of what everyone else brings and just not go hog wild over anything.

My #1 suggestion since you're chief cook and hostess is to remember to have plenty of "to go" containers on hand. Especially for desserts. I'm making a carrot cake by request and there is NO WAY I am bringing any of it home (except maybe a piece for my husband).
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    We'll have a pretty normal thanksgiving menu but I'll just pick and choose: Turkey, Swedish Potatoes, Green Beans, Turnip (for me :)), no rolls!!! Pumpkin pie for the gang but I'm going to make a treat with sugar free pudding mix and heavy whipping cream.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2013/11/30-delicious-low-carb-thanksgiving-recipes.html

I haven't viewed them all but she usually features good ones.
  • tyggerdev
    tyggerdev Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm having a normal Thanksgiving dinner. This is my one day that I'm going to throw LCHF out the window. I don't consider it "falling" off the wagon, I'm "jumping" (head first)! :smiley:

The day after, its business as usual and I pretend nothing ever happened :smile:

Depending on how sick I make myself, I may consider doing the same thing for Christmas.
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My folks and I will be traveling long distance tomorrow to visit a family member who is incarcerated. We decided not to mess with prepping a feast as there are only a few family members close by to join. We will be having dinner at Applebees...one of the few places actually open today. So my thanksgiving meal will be a 6 oz sirloin with loaded broccoli. Better than turkey any day as far as I am concerned. :smiley:
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I made this and it should have been delicious, but tasted like sawdust , so I threw it out. I also made Low carb, gluten free Turkey Sausage Stuffing and that tasted just fine to me. Those were the only two things I made changes for, but kept everything else to a minimum (didn't have any potatoes though)
    http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2015/11/low-carb-pumpkin-slab-pie-w-cardamom-candied-pecans.html