Anyone ever feel like garbage and not want to work out?

Options
jcavanna2
jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
Been feeling really tired and run down over the past week or so. Not sure if it is due to the time change we had, my whirlwind trip to NY or what. My head is starting to feel congested and just not up to going to the gym..haven't been all week and I am working from home tomorrow so I can't go to spin (if I feel up for it), but possibly can train with my trainer (blew it off this morning) or spin on Friday.

Anyone ever feel like this? How do you get yourselves out of the rut? I usually don't ever miss more than a day or two at the gym so want to employ as many strategies as possible to get back on the horse so to speak...

Replies

• NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    YES! Naturally, we all go through the low motivation periods. Usually, I just do it. Just keep going. That gets rough when the head starts to congest. Then you want to add that extra excuse of "but I'm siiiiiiiick!". But that's just it, an excuse. My situation is a bit different, as I drive by the gym on my way to and from work, and you work from home.

I can harass you. I can't text from my phone during the day, but I can bomb you from my Google Voice number (it's set up with Google Hangouts, which I can access from work)! I can email you...whatever you want for accountability. Let me know, girlie!
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    For me, I go to the gym on my way to work (I have an hour and a half commute home and have to get home to help Taylor with homework).

In need that 3:30/4 am kick in the *kitten* to say to just go even if I am not feeling well. Right now my head feels like it is going to explode, really wasn't hungry for breakfast but I am going to try and go to the gym in my community early tomorrow morning and do something. I am gonna focus on spinning on Friday unless my trainer is available instead. I can usually positive self talk myself into it but today I have zero energy.

Next week I am spinning on Tues and training Wednesday and if my gym is open on Thanksgiving I plan to go then too. I like hitting big milestones. Hitting the 70 lb mark was huge - getting into the 160s was huge but I am motivated to get into the 140s and the only way it will happen is if I keep up my gym routine. Today is just such a crap day..yesterday was too but I feel like garbage since I didn't go...

Feel free to text me at ungodly hours..lol
  • NicoleL874
    Options
    My Google Voice number (anyone feel free to harass me, heh, just say how I know you) is 224 225 5996. If you text me there (let me know it's you Jen!) I can harass you during the day. If you want "ungodly hours" texts, I will start making you a wake up text! I'm up at 4:30am, so 5:30am your time..."GET YER *kitten* TO THE GYM!" lol

You can do this girl, you know what you need to do.
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    My last 2 weeks have been GARBAGE! Little bit of depression and way too much work stress has let in all the bad habits. The colder, darker weather is making my daily runs even more unappealing. I do not want to climb on a scale right now. Hopefully, the long break next week will help me ground myself and refocus.
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    Nicole - I leave my house by 5:30 am -- sometimes 4:30 am which is insane by anyone's standards! Will add your Google Voice number to my contacts as well and will drop you a text so you have me in that phone too.

@anbrdr - totally get where you are coming from, but you too will get back on the proverbial horse, that I am sure of! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help...we've got this! :)
  • NicoleL874
    Options
    @anbrdr feel free to shoot me a message at the number above and I can happily harass you as well! And there's always Glide. If you don't have Glide, download Glide. (video messaging app) and I'll happily give my Glide info. Jen...start looking for Glide messages! ;)
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    @NicoleL874 will start looking and I WILL become Glide savvy..lol
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I have been feeling like such a slug, I ate all of the food in the state of NY last week and Friday I have a follow up appointment with my surgeon. Ugh, not looking forward to the scale. Fortunately I made myself exercise while I was there, and that helped me get back into my routine when I came home. Unfortunately, my birthday week extended to this week because my coworkers took me to lunch and had cake. I made good lunch choices and had just a couple of bites of cake, but still... sometimes it makes me feel like I have failed when I give in.

I always tell myself I don't have to have a good attitude when I exercise, I just need to do it. For me it's just super important to keep my routine as much as possible, but trust me, I am not always happy to do it lol. I think its normal that sometimes we just aren't feeling it, but we can't let ourselves lose our momentum completely.
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    Agree that we can't lose momentum - I am usually really good but think I am coming down with something, but need to get back to the gym..hoping I feel better!

Happy belated birthday! Where in Ny were you? We also went back for a few days last week..I indulged but didn't go too overboard. I was in Westchester :)
  • garber6th
    Options
    I went for four days, visited family in Staten Island, drove up to Hyde Park for a day to see my niece, went into the city to hang out for an afternoon. I am still a tiny bit jet laggy I think, which has made it hard for me to want to get off my butt lol.

This conversation has made me feel motivated, I am at work but I am going to take my break and go out for a walk :-)
  • eliminnowp
    eliminnowp Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    For me, even if I feel cruddy and don't want to go to the gym I know I'll feel even worse (the guilt) if I don't! I tell myself, "I can either force myself to slog through the next 30 min or beat myself up mentally for hours instead." The 30 min is usually more appealing ;)

Plus, once I get going I always find I feel better after. Of course if you really are sick, you should take it easy and not feel guilty.
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    Yeah definitely didn't feel well. Took meds last night and overslept today (5:30 am..usually 4 am). Fortunately today was a planned work from home day but since I had to take my daughter to school, I didn't make it to the gym. I do have a bosu, stability ball and weights at home so I plan to use them throughout the day so I get something done - aside from work. Also took a spill leaving work yesterday and slammed my face into the pavement, as well as my hands and right knee. I am a mess obviously..LOL. HUGe shout out to @NicoleL874 for texting me to see if I made it to the gym. Not today but I plan to go tomorrow morning :)
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I got back on the running kick last night. 5 miles after a 2 week break may have been excessive. Hip joint is not liking me today.
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    @anbrdr glad you got back to running. I asked my daughters tutor if she would care if I ran to our community gym later when she is here so hopefully I will get some time in later. Pulled out my bosu and did step ups and this crunch thing I do with my trainer. Gonna take mini breaks throughout the work day to get more sets in

Am planning on hitting the gym tomorrow morning too.
  • garber6th
    Options
    It's funny, even when I plan to have a rest day, I get antsy and usually work out on some level anyway. Occasionally I will wake up on a weekend and say *kitten* it, I am staying in my pajamas all day, and I just go with it and don't feel bad at all.
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    From what I've seen/read/heard you should still work out if you have a head cold but if you have symptoms below the neck like muscle fatigue, vomiting etc you should forgo any workout.

If its just not feeling like it because you are out of sorts, accountability buddies are awesome. My sister and I work out together. We don't let the other person skip out just because they don't feel like it. I just try to remember that I feel so much better after I've done it and then once I have a streak going, I'm golden.
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    The best "workout blahs" advice I've ever seen was from this group (I want to say it was either @rpyle111 or @anbrdr). It was to make yourself go to the gym and give yourself 10 minutes. If once you're there and working out for 10 minutes and you STILL don't want to stick it out, then leave. I remember whomever it was saying they followed that rule and had never left the gym. Neither have I when I do the same.