Ugh. Let it slip.

Options
SoxyKitten
SoxyKitten Posts: 80 Member
edited November 2016 in Social Groups
Was going great guns for the first 10 days doing LCHF. Lost 6lbs before my 40th birthday party on Saturday & was feeling positive. Obviously had a few drinks Saturday night but was good with food. Had no cake or sweets at all. Stuck to good food choices. Straight back on the wagon on Sunday. Then for some stupid reason on Tuesday I decided that it'd be fine if I had a few squares of chocolate that I'd been given as a birthday present. Of course I ate the whole lot. Last night the same. Fabulous all day food wise. Out on the bike & cycled 24km. Sat in the evening & ate a bag of sour sweeties from the party leftovers. Ugh :( Disappointed in myself.

Replies

• idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Meh, it happens. The transition can be harder for some than others. When I first went low-carb years ago, the first thing I had to do was throw away literally every form of sugar and starch that I had in my apartment. Blah blah wasteful, abloobloo starving children in China, whatever. If I didn't shitcan the stuff, I was going to end up eating it, and way too much of it, all at once.

I did the same thing...anything that was unopened went to the food pantry (and I do have some guilt about passing on what I perceive as poison to someone else, but many families do rely on rice, beans & pasta as staples in their diets). Opened foods got dumped. Best decision ever...made the transition so easy as there were no temptations close at hand.

I think it is probably easier for those of us who live alone & those whose family is fully on board with the plan. I know I would have a very difficult time if those things were still in my home because other family members are fine with them.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Meh, it happens. The transition can be harder for some than others. When I first went low-carb years ago, the first thing I had to do was throw away literally every form of sugar and starch that I had in my apartment. Blah blah wasteful, abloobloo starving children in China, whatever. If I didn't shitcan the stuff, I was going to end up eating it, and way too much of it, all at once.

I do that with my son's Halloween candy. He eats a couple a day for a week or two and that big thing of candy sits around. When I'm convinced he has forgotten and the novelty wears off, I dump the whole thing in the garbage. It feels terrific to have it out of the house.
  • Rainqueen77
    Rainqueen77 Posts: 116 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I cleaned out the cabinets when I started also. Gave everything to a family member. I was bagging stuff up and mom was taking stuff out of bags. I cook for all of us so in the end I won.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Since my family doesn't eat the same way I do (yet), I separated out "my" area in the cabinets and pantry and even a shelf in the fridge and don't even look at what is elsewhere. The only overlap area is the veggie drawer in the fridge which isn't really an issue since what they have there falls into two categories - I don't like it or it wouldn't really be a problem if I ate it.

I started as lower carb, and still have some foods that no longer fit my macros which are heading to the local food pantry.

In reality, if you can just get the crap out of your house/apartment, you will be better off. If it is a sweet, take it to work and leave it in the break room. I did that just with some of the k-cup cappuccinos that had sugar in them. People were thrilled.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    idocdlw wrote: »
    I think it is probably easier for those of us who live alone & those whose family is fully on board with the plan. I know I would have a very difficult time if those things were still in my home because other family members are fine with them.

Absolutely! My husband supporting/joining me in this and our children being young enough to accept all our food choices has been huge in making this successful for me.

OP, there's nothing to be gained by beating yourself up over a slipup. It happens, just move forward. I hope you had a lovely weekend and get back to it!!! :)
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    @cstehansen ":Since my family doesn't eat the same way I do (yet), I separated out "my" area in the cabinets and pantry and even a shelf in the fridge and don't even look at what is elsewhere."

Likewise in my home: right side of pantry belongs to my high carb husband, left side is my lchf area. Similarly in fridge. Works for me :p
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Easy, is having a spouse like mine. The man doesn't seem to eat except black coffee in the morning, his Coca Cola (regular) during the day and whatever I cook for dinner. If he happens to get hungry he'll grab a couple saltines or a piece of bread and put a thin schmear of peanut butter on it. If no PB, he'll put butter on it. Maybe.

The man simply does not think of food other than a response to hunger. I think he's a true reflection of how infrequently, thin people think about food.

@SoxyKitten, hope your day got better and you're back on track. :)
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    Since my family doesn't eat the same way I do (yet), I separated out "my" area in the cabinets and pantry and even a shelf in the fridge and don't even look at what is elsewhere. The only overlap area is the veggie drawer in the fridge which isn't really an issue since what they have there falls into two categories - I don't like it or it wouldn't really be a problem if I ate it.

This.
  • SoxyKitten
    SoxyKitten Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Chucked the lot in the bin last night. Felt great to do so! Yesterday was a good day. Feel like I'm back on track again.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @40DayFit... a bit of liquid dish soap works wonders too, lol.