Anyone extended fasting?

Options
I'm doing an extended fast right now, my first one! I feel like I am fully fat adapted now. So far I feel great. I have had coffee (cold brew black) and heavily salted bone broth. My goal is to make it at least 48 hours, but ideally more like 72 +. But I'll just see how it goes.

Replies

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I've been looking into the benefits of extended fasts for immunity and cancer prevention. Those are 7 days. My mom had non-lifestyle cancer and it's a fear of mine.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I do IF but haven't tried an extended fast yet. How do you hit your protein goal for the day if you fast for 72hrs on water and coffee? Are you losing muscle? Just curious!

Edit: Nevermind, Google saved me https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/fasting-and-muscle-mass-fasting-part-14/
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    I do IF but haven't tried an extended fast yet. How do you hit your protein goal for the day if you fast for 72hrs on water and coffee? Are you losing muscle? Just curious!

You don't lose muscle because fasting elevates levels of human growth hormone.
  • BT_rescuemom
    BT_rescuemom Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Yeah, not hitting any kind of protein goals. I'm just doing water, coffee, broth, tea, LaCroix, etc...

I'm doing it to continue to address my insulin resistance.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Very interesting, let us know how it goes :)
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    I have done a 24 hour fast but nothing longer than that. It wasn't nearly the struggle that I thought it would be.
  • kimberlyb6682
    kimberlyb6682 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'd like to do an extended fast but 24 hours is all I can manage so far.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I've done over two days before. I haven't hit 72 hours... I felt like eating before then. ;)

I enjoyed it at the time. It felt incredibly empowering and it was shocking how little hunger I actually had.

Blood glucose went lower. I was pretty much constantly in the 4's (usually between 80-90) which was great for me. My fasting BG is usually high and fasting was the only thing that knocked it low.

It's the only was I get above trace readings on ketostix too. LOL

I honestly think the thought of fasting is harder than actually doing it. KWIM?

Good luck. Are you testing BG during your fast?
  • BT_rescuemom
    Options
    I am at about 19 hours and feeling fine. Some stomach grumbling but I anticipate that subsiding. Like I could eat something but I don't need to eat something KWIM?

I had broth at lunch time and that was extremely satisfying. Will do some pickle juice when I get home from work and maybe some tea.

I will be checking morning glucose, usually I am 80-100. I will also check if I feel poorly. I know all too well the signs of hypoglycemia.

• BT_rescuemom
    Options
    innf4q1tipagge.jpg

23 hours in and feeling just fine. Gonna drink some pickle juice and relax for the evening.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I do 24 quite a bit and a 40 now and then.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    My longest fast, which I do occasionally and in a specific setting was 96 hours. No problem if you're well prepared. However, this is in a wilderness retreat, where the entire environment is geared to focusing and spiritual practice. I would never undertake such fast in daily life because of my lack of focus. I did feel fantastic though on the few occasions I did this and with incredible energy.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I've gradually increased non-eating hours, so I often end up with a 24 hrs cycle, several times a week. But I don't sweat it if it's suits better due to social stuff to have 2 meals per day. I've done several 72 hours too. The most important thing during fasting is to get more salt! If not I suffer low electrolytes symptoms.

Oddly enough, the 48 HR mark is the toughest for me, psychologically, once I'm past that bump I feel like I could go on for a very long time. It's a state of feeling very calm, focused, light and very, very awake. Possibly due to higher ketone levels. The 2ketodudes use fasting to lower insulin and basal blood sugars vs T2D. They have interesting thoughts about it.
    http://2ketodudes.com/show.aspx?episode=5
  • BT_rescuemom
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »
    I've gradually increased non-eating hours, so I often end up with a 24 hrs cycle, several times a week. But I don't sweat it if it's suits better due to social stuff to have 2 meals per day. I've done several 72 hours too. The most important thing during fasting is to get more salt! If not I suffer low electrolytes symptoms.

Oddly enough, the 48 HR mark is the toughest for me, psychologically, once I'm past that bump I feel like I could go on for a very long time. It's a state of feeling very calm, focused, light and very, very awake. Possibly due to higher ketone levels. The 2ketodudes use fasting to lower insulin and basal blood sugars vs T2D. They have interesting thoughts about it.
    http://2ketodudes.com/show.aspx?episode=5

Cool. Yeah, I'm doing lots of salt in my broth a couple times a day. I love listening to 2Ketodudes, they are the ones that got me interested in fasting for insulin resistance!
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Drink pickle juice??
    :o
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    Drink pickle juice??

It is a pretty common cocktail around here. :)
  • BT_rescuemom
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    Drink pickle juice??

Pickle juice and butter are my two BFF's
  • BT_rescuemom
    Options
    Morning number two and I feel just great! I'm 40 hours in. My blood sugar when I woke up was 67. Normally my morning glucose is 90, and if it went below 70 any time during the day I would feel shakey, sweaty...classic hypoglycemia symptoms. Keto agrees with me I think.

Yesterday I drank cold brew coffee, water, homemade chicken broth, pickle juice, tea, and more broth.

Today I'm starting with French press coffee and MCT oil, and I'll do more broth, water, tea and pickle juice. I add a lot of salt and lite salt to my broth to keep up on electrolytes.

If you would have told me a few months ago that I would be doing an extended fast I would have laughed in your face and told you to pass me that bagel over there. Keep calm and Keto on my friends. I'll keep updating on my progress and will end it with my stats.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Crazy how things change like that. Going more than a couple hours seemed impossible recently. Now I've been on this 16/8 schedule for several weeks no problem. Thinking about just having some broth at lunch and pushing to 24 hours. Habit seems to be more of the challenge than hunger given right now is almost an hour after my normal lunchtime and dinner doesn't seem too far away.