I messed up

Options
I ate pizza.

I messed up. I am mostly posting this for accountability for myself to admit it openly, because my husband is almost proud of me for eating some carbs. He's still in the mind set that balance is good and the food pyramid exists for a reason blah blah blah.

I have increased some of my meds and they are making me feel quite nauseous and not really having an appetite, and we're also going through our house and my mother in laws house and purging all our crap, so not eating much has made me edgy. So let's talk about STRESS.

When I have felt like this historically, carbs have been my friend. Namely pizza or ramen or noodles with butter or mashed potatoes or Mac and cheese. Comfort, ya know?

I'm not even thinking about the gluten downfall at this time. Why do we do things that are just so self-destructive?

My question:

After falling off the wagon, if you ever have, how long does it generally take to get back on track? I'm kiiiiiiiiindaaaaa dreading an adjustment period BACK into ketosis. Does it go away this quick?

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Hi. Since you're young and probably not close to diabetic, it might be hard for you to maintain my view that sugar = toilet bowl cleaner and flour = Drano.

(Pizza without the crust, however....)

A single excursion into Carb-land may not be too tough to recover from, if you're already keto-adapted. Steven Phinney thinks you can climb back in a few days, particularly with the aid of exercise. He compares diet deviations to taking a step off the top of a sand dune and winding up halfway down the hill. It's not much work to stay on top once you've finally gotten there, but it's work to trudge back up. (His co-author Eric Westman, by contrast, thinks it takes weeks.)

Dr. Bernstein put it this way: the danger of having 'a piece of pizza' is not the transient blip on the radar, but rather the sad truth that, where the human species is concerned, the first embrace of temptation is rarely the last.
  • mrssto78
    mrssto78 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    It is going to depend. Some snap back faster than others. You could do a 16-24 hour fast which would jump start the adjustment. Intermittent Fasting (IF) is a big part of this WOE for some people. There is much data and research on it.

When feeling stressed comfort food does help...but you CAN make LCHF comfort food.... like cheesy cauliflower purée...it takes 12 minutes and is amazing!

Being stressed without a truly supportive spouse (I have one of those too) is hard. It is good you want to be accountable. Remember, this isn't the end of the road, just a little bump.

Best of luck to you!
  • emaline2210
    emaline2210 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Hi. Since you're young and probably not close to diabetic, it might be hard for you to maintain my view that sugar = toilet bowl cleaner and flour = Drano.

(Pizza without the crust, however....)

A single excursion into Carb-land may not be too tough to recover from, if you're already keto-adapted. Steven Phinney thinks you can climb back in a few days, particularly with the aid of exercise. He compares diet deviations to taking a step off the top of a sand dune and winding up halfway down the hill. It's not much work to stay on top once you've finally gotten there, but it's work to trudge back up. (His co-author Eric Westman, by contrast, thinks it takes weeks.)

Dr. Bernstein put it this way: the danger of having 'a piece of pizza' is not the transient blip on the radar, but rather the sad truth that, where the human species is concerned, the first embrace of temptation is rarely the last.

Ugh, pizza without the crust was the original plan. Along with a can of soup. No forethought has gone into this tumultuous weekend, clearly.

Let this be a lesson in planning ahead.
  • emaline2210
    Options
    mrssto78 wrote: »
    It is going to depend. Some snap back faster than others. You could do a 16-24 hour fast which would jump start the adjustment. Intermittent Fasting (IF) is a big part of this WOE for some people. There is much data and research on it.

When feeling stressed comfort food does help...but you CAN make LCHF comfort food.... like cheesy cauliflower purée...it takes 12 minutes and is amazing!

Being stressed without a truly supportive spouse (I have one of those too) is hard. It is good you want to be accountable. Remember, this isn't the end of the road, just a little bump.

Best of luck to you!

Intermittent fasting has become a part of my routine, regardless. I've never been a breakfast eater, so now I just push it off to 1 of 2. I suppose that's possibly an advantage.

The planning ahead part got ahead of me as we are staying at my mother in laws. She would rather have dessert than any food, so grasping at straws. I should have packed some food.
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to hear how things go for you on "the road back." I had a stressful week both at home and at work, and caved on Wednesday, eating a bunch of the leftover Halloween candy at the office. It took me a good 72 hours and a LOT of Keto-ade before I felt back to normal.
  • emaline2210
    Options
    MyriiStorm wrote: »
    I'm curious to hear how things go for you on "the road back." I had a stressful week both at home and at work, and caved on Wednesday, eating a bunch of the leftover Halloween candy at the office. It took me a good 72 hours and a LOT of Keto-ade before I felt back to normal.

I'll have to remember those electrolytes.
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    @emaline2210 Posting for your own accountability will probably serve you well to getting back on track. Education/awareness is power and your are obviously very self aware. I surmise you know exactly what to do...just need a little cheerleading to help you do it as you most likely do not get that from your spouse who simply has different beliefs about eating (not a bad thing). Do what you know you need to do and you'll be back on track quickly.

@RalfLott ...similar view...sugar and flour are the reason I need toilet bowl cleaner and draino :smile:
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    @idocdlw, nice one!
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    When I've strayed from the paths of righteousness (food-wise, I mean) I've found that it helps to give yourself an at-home spa experience for a couple of days: extremely restricted food choices, detox water and tea by the gallon, double up on the exercise, pamper yourself at the end of the day with mud pack facials, soaking baths, etc. I'm not sure if it helps physically but it does a lot to regain that sense of control that we need in order to keep sane. Not to mention just feeling darned nice.

Not sure what the guy equivalent would be: restricted food choices and a trip to Home Depot?
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Hey OP, why don't you just make yourself some low carb pizza with a low carb crust, that way you can have your pie and eat it too?! Kill two birds with one stone...feed your craving in a healthy way without derailing your progress. Seems kinda like a no-brainer to me.
  • emaline2210
    Options
    When I've strayed from the paths of righteousness (food-wise, I mean) I've found that it helps to give yourself an at-home spa experience for a couple of days: extremely restricted food choices, detox water and tea by the gallon, double up on the exercise, pamper yourself at the end of the day with mud pack facials, soaking baths, etc. I'm not sure if it helps physically but it does a lot to regain that sense of control that we need in order to keep sane. Not to mention just feeling darned nice.

Not sure what the guy equivalent would be: restricted food choices and a trip to Home Depot?

I love this! I'm halfway there. I continued down the rabbit hole for a couple days, but I'm fasting today with some lovely bone broth I've had simmering for a couple days. I'm planning on fasting until thanksgiving dinner.

I love the idea of adding in detox tea and the pampering to at least feel like all my damage is leaving my body. :blush:
    ladipoet wrote: »
    Hey OP, why don't you just make yourself some low carb pizza with a low carb crust, that way you can have your pie and eat it too?! Kill two birds with one stone...feed your craving in a healthy way without derailing your progress. Seems kinda like a no-brainer to me.

Ohhhhh, I would have! I just really didn't plan ahead for the fact that I was at my mother in laws for the whole weekend and she is a carbivore. My husband took her to the grocery store and said she only wanted to go down the cookie and ice cream aisles.

I learned that I definitely need to plan better when I'm not home and not in control of the food options. I, of course, could have pulled the meat and cheese off of the pizza and eaten that. And the choice to rebel in that is totally on me. I own that.

And now, I'm having to own that I feel like crap because of my choices that then followed. Ugh.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I learned that I definitely need to plan better when I'm not home and not in control of the food options. I, of course, could have pulled the meat and cheese off of the pizza and eaten that. And the choice to rebel in that is totally on me. I own that.

Good for you! 10 steps forward.