Ketogiving

Options
My mom and I are doing a low carb Thanksgiving. She is not low carb, but my hope is to show my dad that eating low carb doesn't mean missing out on any delicious food.

On the menu:
Smoked turkey
Roast duck
Low carb stuffing
Brussel sprouts
Creamed spinach
Salad
Cauliflower mashed potatoes
Faux sweet potato casserole
Low carb cheesecake

Probably do some appetizers too, and I'll make Fathead crackers for dipping.

Replies

• Chris91gp
    Chris91gp Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a great Thanksgiving dinner. I'm sure your dad will come around to the keto lifestyle after eating that dinner. Even better don't tell him it's low carb and see if he notices
  • robeylori
    robeylori Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Wow that sounds wonderful! I wouldn't tell him either....What time is dinner?
  • BT_rescuemom
    BT_rescuemom Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Chris91gp wrote: »
    That sounds like a great Thanksgiving dinner. I'm sure your dad will come around to the keto lifestyle after eating that dinner. Even better don't tell him it's low carb and see if he notices

Oh, he's a foodie. There's no fooling him!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Sounds so good!!
  • lsz06773
    lsz06773 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    On the menu:
    Smoked turkey
    Roast duck
    Low carb stuffing
    Brussel sprouts
    Creamed spinach
    Salad
    Low carb cheesecake

What's your recipe for the low carb stuffing and the cheesecake?
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    My mom and I are doing a low carb Thanksgiving. She is not low carb, but my hope is to show my dad that eating low carb doesn't mean missing out on any delicious food.

On the menu:
    Smoked turkey
    Roast duck
    Low carb stuffing
    Brussel sprouts
    Creamed spinach
    Salad
    Low carb cheesecake

Can you share the recipe for the faux sweet potato casserole?
  • BT_rescuemom
    Options
    I found the sweet potatoe casserole on Pinterest. I'll see if I can find a link.

The stuffing will either be pork rind stuffing or cauliflower stuffing.

I don't know which cheesecake I'll do yet. Hubby wants New York style, and then I saw a chocolate one with a ganache that looks amazing. Just google low carb cheesecake and you'll find tons of recipes.
  • BT_rescuemom
    Options
    http://www.wholesomeyum.com/recipes/pecan-roasted-better-than-sweet-potato-casserole-low-carb-paleo/

So this has 10 net carbs per serving. A little high but worth it for thanksgiving I think!
  • BT_rescuemom
    Options
    http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/paleo-stuffing/

This stuffing looks promising
  • IowaHomeGirl
    IowaHomeGirl Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've been watching the Food Network Thanksgiving shows off and on all day today and I thought it would have been great to have George Stella or any other low carb chef with a low carb Thanksgiving.

I think Thanksgiving is the easiest holiday to make low carb of all the holidays.
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you want to invite us all? :D
  • BT_rescuemom
    Options
    supergal3 wrote: »
    Sounds like you want to invite us all? :D

Dinner is at 2. Half of my siblings won't be there so there is room at the table!
  • HawkPNP
    HawkPNP Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm so excited for keto-giving this year since I'm hosting!

I'm also thrilled because I am allowing myself unlimited keto foods and dry wine. Anyone else not counting a darn thing that day?!?
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I will eat keto friendly foods but will probably not log. I seem to have struck a balance - log M-F and don't worry about the weekends when we are so busy. I stay keto I know, but have no idea about hitting or missing goals overall and think I'm ok with that. Since I'll be cooking and tasting all day I can't imagine how logging would go.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving in my house is a semi-boneless ham (no sugary glaze), a keto green bean and mushroom casserole, turnip and carrot mash (a classic from my childhood that is fairly keto friendly when you use a 2:1 ratio of turnip to carrot) and garlic mashed cauliflower. Also a low-carb, gluten free cheesecake.

We will eat this around noon (my daughter works at 2) then have munchies out in the afternoon: kielbasa and sharp cheddar, veggies and ranch, etc. Normally I'd also make devilled eggs, but I am working Tuesday and Wednesday nights, so simplicity (I have already made the three veggie side dishes, today, and made and froze the cheesecake yesterday) is key. I have also bought a bottle of sauvignon blanc to go with.

I may make a dark chocolate coffee drizzle for the cheesecake (quick) and I am making instant mashed taters for the non-keto crew, but no rolls.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    It will be just the four of us and we'll have (anything in parentheses is for DH/kids and I'll skip):
    turkey, gravy
    (rolls)
    garlic parmesan mashed cauliflower
    brussels sprouts with bacon
    (peas with pearlized onions)
    pumpkin pie and apple pie
    And I'll probably make a LC pumpkin cheesecake for myself.
  • BT_rescuemom
    Options
    HawkPNP wrote: »
    I'm so excited for keto-giving this year since I'm hosting!

I'm also thrilled because I am allowing myself unlimited keto foods and dry wine. Anyone else not counting a darn thing that day?!?

I will eat all the things and not log anything at all. I'm putting so much work into this that I want to be able to enjoy all the food. I'm guessing my satiation will win out though.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    It will be just the four of us and we'll have (anything in parentheses is for DH/kids and I'll skip):
    turkey, gravy
    (rolls)
    garlic parmesan mashed cauliflower
    brussels sprouts with bacon
    (peas with pearlized onions)
    pumpkin pie and apple pie
    And I'll probably make a LC pumpkin cheesecake for myself.

I'd love the recipe of that cheesecake if you have a sec. I need to make something for my MIL.