What do you snack on at the movies?

Options
Going to the movies has, in the past, meant a cheat day for me. I indulge the one time (they have the yummiest cake there I just cannot resist) then go back on the wagon the next morning. Not the healthiest pattern, I know, but it works for me.

I am determined not to cheat tonight, however. Any ideas for something I can smuggle in to snack on?

Replies

• bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Lower carb nuts, cheese sticks, pepperoni slices
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this also. I don't go to the movies often, but in the past, I would go early enough to finish a large popcorn smothered in "butter" before the movie started and get the free refill to eat (and finish) while watching the movie.

I have need to the movies once on my three months of keto and the buttery popcorn smell almost killed me - but I did resist.

Although there are many keto snacks, I have not found any that are light enough to just munch mindlessly through a movie without having thousands of calories and making me feel sick from overeating after it is too late.
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    We rarely go to the movies anymore and we do not eat there when we do.
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Or just don't eat. What difference is it going to make? It's two hours. If you aren't hungry and you are fat adapted, you don't need to eat at the movies.

This. We've been programmed to eat so the theaters can make more money off of us. Have a healthy meal before you go, or a fatty snack to tide you over with a plan for a great meal afterwards.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Uhm, nothing?
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my vote is for nothing. Our family willingly pays a premium to go to the cinema with fancy recliner chairs and IMAX and all that. The food offerings? Mostly lackluster for the price, imho. Drinks just make us have to miss part of the movie.
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Aquawave wrote: »

Never been an issue for me...can't justify the price for watching what is a complete visual & auditory stimulus overload for me (I am probably on the very low end of the autism spectrum). And I've always been kinda grossed out by the sticky floors and what the previous patron may have left on that cloth seat. Most movies are available at Red Box or On Demand within a couple of months of release. Lower price...can view in the comfort/cleanliness of my own home. Yep...if you're thinking "how Sheldonese"...you are correct...I even have my "spot".

I do go occasionally with friends and family but find that it is more a stresssor that I endure rather than enjoy. If I ever find myself in a position where I really did enjoy, I think I would adapt the advice...don't eat while watching...it becomes mindless.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I'm in the don't eat anything camp. I prefer to go out for dinner after. I've always preferred meals to snacks however.
  • solska
    solska Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I really get annoyed when people eat in the movies with package-noise etc, but my partner is one such so I adapted over the years... and been trying to reverse this. And I actually really like drinking beer in movies.

BUT, your question matters-- one crunchy and great low carb snack is cucumbers. Cut them up, a bit of salt and they are great. Also celery sticks with peanut butter. And a giant jug of water flavored with a bit of lemon.
  • IowaHomeGirl
    IowaHomeGirl Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    If it's a movie/food service place I order wings or a compliant salad. If it's just a regular movie theater, I usually just buy a bottle of water and wait to eat after the move.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    idocdlw wrote: »

Never been an issue for me...can't justify the price for watching what is a complete visual & auditory stimulus overload for me (I am probably on the very low end of the autism spectrum). And I've always been kinda grossed out by the sticky floors and what the previous patron may have left on that cloth seat. Most movies are available at Red Box or On Demand within a couple of months of release. Lower price...can view in the comfort/cleanliness of my own home. Yep...if you're thinking "how Sheldonese"...you are correct...I even have my "spot".

I do go occasionally with friends and family but find that it is more a stresssor that I endure rather than enjoy. If I ever find myself in a position where I really did enjoy, I think I would adapt the advice...don't eat while watching...it becomes mindless.

My preference is waiting for it to be on DVD/blu-ray but my wife really likes the theater experience. The popcorn with a ridiculous amount of the butter flavor was the one part I liked.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I'm in Camp Nothing.
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Also in Camp Nothing. Most of what is served in the movies is junky, good to start a no eat habit. ENJOY THE MOVIE for the movie's sake, not for the munchies.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating at the movies. I rarely go to the cinema anymore. Once upon a time I loved going, especially the midnight showings. But now I prefer to watch at home. Too many movies are ads to sell video games or action figures. I can zip past the llloooonnnngggg fight scenes etc. that add nothing to the story line. If I do go, I take my own water or iced tea.
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions! I was actually thisclose to getting candy, but ended up grabbing some almonds instead. Maybe one day I'll be in Camp Nothing, but as I stated, this is my one time a week to indulge. At least I avoided the sugary junk this time!
    supergal3 wrote: »
    Also in Camp Nothing. Most of what is served in the movies is junky, good to start a no eat habit. ENJOY THE MOVIE for the movie's sake, not for the munchies.

I tried to enjoy the movie. Unfortunately, it was Suicide Squad. Lol.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I'm in Camp Nothing myself, always have been, mainly because we have usually just finished dinner and have to rush off to catch the movie in time. The thought of eating more so soon nauseates me. Also I hate to pay the horrible prices for cheap popcorn or candy. I do like the smell of the 'buttery' popcorn though. Rarely, if I'm thirsty and feel like a 'treat', I will get either my favorite diet soda (Fresca) or if they don't have that, Diet Pepsi, kiddie size.
  • coloradoartstudio
    coloradoartstudio Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I love going to the movies, but I do it so rarely these days. Movies and popcorn used to go hand in hand. I like the idea of the peanut butter celery sticks and nuts. My daughter wants to go to the movies this week when she's home from school on break. :-)
  • tyggerdev
    tyggerdev Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Diet Dr Pepper and I'm good. They should stop selling popcorn, the smell is offense and makes me wanna vomit.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options

I stopped patronizing movie theaters many years ago. On my last visit, half the audience were chatting on their phones and the other 49.99% were chatting with each other. The couple next to me appeared to consist of a half wit and his keeper. "See? That's a submarine they're in and that's the captain talking to his crew and ....."