Looking for determined but non-judgmental T2D friends:)

Options
My name is Chris. 50 year old man. Married. Father of two daughter. One 11 and one 2 months old. Need to stay healthy for my wife and my children. Diagnosed with T2 Diabetes 3 years ago. Blood sugar has been steady but still too high (100-130) range. Weight yo-yo's between 245 and 265. Want to tackle my weight now. Looking for friends who are determined to make lifestyle changes, but understand how difficult it is to do.

Replies

• JaneKnoll1
    JaneKnoll1 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    My name is Chris. 50 year old man. Married. Father of two daughter. One 11 and one 2 months old. Need to stay healthy for my wife and my children. Diagnosed with T2 Diabetes 3 years ago. Blood sugar has been steady but still too high (100-130) range. Weight yo-yo's between 245 and 265. Want to tackle my weight now. Looking for friends who are determined to make lifestyle changes, but understand how difficult it is to do.
    Welcome Chris!!!! Definitely a great goal!!! I am almost 63 and diagnosed with T2D April 2015 and now I have lost 75 lbs and I use diet and exercise to control blood sugar. Dr took me off Metformin 6 months ago.
    I eat all food groups but watch carbs obviously.
    I also took up more vigorous exercise including running and that has really helped control my sugar and now it's hard for me to keep weight on.
    Try to embrace your journey and you may find it's like your second chance to get healthy!!! Cheering for you!!
  • jvcjim
    jvcjim Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Welcome Chris, i'm also 50 with a wife and 6 kids (the youngest is 19) i have been t2 for 15 years or so did not need meds until 4 years ago. your weight range is less than i need to lose. but i am down 50 pounds since august. To coincide with my weight loss my daily bg averages have dropped from 133 in august to 110 so far this month. just with diet and a little extra exercise.
  • asrai50
    asrai50 Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Welcome Chris. You are in a great place for non-judgemental support :) I am Pam and I am a long time diabetic. I was actually diagnosed in my early teens and I am now 51 years old. It is difficult sometimes but completely manageable with a little effort. I am a long time insulin user, but also take metformin for my insulin resistance. You will be surprised how dramatic of a change controlling weight and a little exercise will do. Embrace it and be assured that you can still be healthy for years to come. Many diabetics I know are healthier than most people :)
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    Hi Chris! I'm Jenn. T2D diagnosed in 2014. I'm 35, married and mother of a nutty 4 year old boy. I couldn't ride a roller coaster with my son in 2015 because I was too big and that was what made me decide to change. I've lost over 100lb and cut my A1c nearly in half. I'm off my blood pressure meds and down to metformin only. (took tanzeum and invokana previously). This is a great group of folks and you will find excellent support here. I know I have!
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Welcome Chris! it has been just six months for me. I have brought weight and BG down but it is difficult. What has made it easier is vegetables at every meal, and pickled/fermented foods whenever I can. I tried the meat/veg no carb thing but could not sustain it, but have had success on a mostly vegetarian diet. I am a little excited and scared about the holiday meal this afternoon (8 types of carbs plus butter) but I am planning on keeping my portions small and taking a long walk afterward. I just came back from a walk counting all the things to be grateful for, and MFP is a big one.
  • jsimms435
    jsimms435 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I'm 49 type 2 for 15 years just went on insulin pump
  • asrai50
    asrai50 Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    jsimms435 wrote: »
    Feel free to add me. I'm 49 type 2 for 15 years just went on insulin pump

I hope you have success with your pump. I wish I had done it years ago. Much better control and not nearly as many highs and lows.
  • judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    Hi Chris. I'm 60 have been T2 for a little over a year, due to damage to my pancreas. I have been struggling with weight most of my adult life, and recently, this damn disease. It's not easy, but as you'll see from these inspirational people, it is doable.
    Good luck with the journey.
  • ccrinaldi
    ccrinaldi Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey Chris, everyone, I found out I have t2d about 6 weeks ago, no surprise, I should have seen it coming. Since then, I have lost about 28 pounds and feel pretty good. Still 6 weeks from my first A1C re-check so I have no clue if I am doing the right things. I hope you and I have results like many of the others on here and soon can also say we cut our numbers in half! I wish you the best Chris!