Ideas on snack foods to eat

Options
shed50kg
shed50kg Posts: 69 Member
Hi Guys,

Went a bit off course with my low carb routine so going to get myself back on track.

Anyway, before I go full swing into it, can anyone give me some good ideas of simple foods to eat? I think last time I got bored because not enough variety of foods, especially snack type foods.

What about pork scratchings, it says on the packet that there are less then 0.1g of carbs per 100g? Are these ok for snacks? What about pickles like pickled onions, beetroot, red cabbage? And is Bacon ok?

Thanks

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    All the foods you listed are perfectly acceptable snacks.

Bacon is encouraged.

Other snacks include nuts (may want to watch portions on those - almonds and macadamia nuts are good, cashews are carby), cheese slices, and deli meats.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    How long are you going between meals? Maybe make your meals bigger, or up your fat content. One of the benefits of a LCHF diet is that for most people they find a reduced drive to snack. How is your hydration?
  • shed50kg
    Options

Bacon is encouraged.

Other snacks include nuts (may want to watch portions on those - almonds and macadamia nuts are good, cashews are carby), cheese slices, and deli meats.

Thanks, I was not sure about bacon, I am sure I read somewhere last time I was on low carb that bacon was not good as it had sugars in it. Good to know it is good. And, deli type meats.
  • shed50kg
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    How long are you going between meals? Maybe make your meals bigger, or up your fat content. One of the benefits of a LCHF diet is that for most people they find a reduced drive to snack. How is your hydration?

I am not on it at the moment, just preparing myself to go back on it. The last time I was on it, which was over a year ago, I started to get bored with it but I think was not eating enough variety of low carb foods. So, I thought having a better idea of variety would be good. I remember not being so hungry last time. Just want to get myself prepared in kitchen cupboards too, so got plenty in there that are low carb before going full swing into it.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    shed50kg wrote: »

Bacon is encouraged.

Thanks, I was not sure about bacon, I am sure I read somewhere last time I was on low carb that bacon was not good as it had sugars in it. Good to know it is good. And, deli type meats.

Some bacon may have carbs if cured with sugar or 'maple flavour'. Just read your packets. Same with deli meats.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Read the labels on everything. Some brands have sugar and some don't. Generally if you're eating very low carb you really don't need to snack, it's more of a habit. I don't snack during the day I have lunch and dinner (a coffee with butter and cream for breakfast) but I do still have something in the evening at about 7pm - only because my partner is a big snacker and it's part of our habit. He eats chips and lollies and biscuits so I feel like I need something too. Usually I will have something like a really low carb snack bar (Maxine's Burn or similar) or some camembert and olives, or a pate pod and cream cheese tub (50g and 40g respectively). Sometimes I will just grab a (15g) cube of butter from the fridge and eat it like cheese.
  • mrssto78
    mrssto78 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite on hand snacks is bacon and cream cheese stuffed pepperoncinis. Here is a link to the recipe (I skip the shallots and use uncured bacon) http://allrecipes.com/recipe/16929/stuffed-pepperoncini/

• Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Boiled eggs with Himalayan salt.
    Pork scratchings.
    Celery with cream cheese (or peanut butter)
    Cheese and pickles skewers.
    Low carb veg dipped in guacamole or sour cream.
    Home made liver pate.
    Chicken bites with dips.
    85% or more cocoa in dark chocolate
    Cheese.
    Chicken wings.
    Prawns with high fat dip
    Peanut butter
    Ice cream made of avocado and cocoa

I eat all of the above :D
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    Boiled eggs with Himalayan salt.
    Pork scratchings.
    Celery with cream cheese (or peanut butter)
    Cheese and pickles skewers.
    Low carb veg dipped in guacamole or sour cream.
    Home made liver pate.
    Chicken bites with dips.
    85% or more cocoa in dark chocolate
    Cheese.
    Chicken wings.
    Prawns with high fat dip
    Peanut butter
    Ice cream made of avocado and cocoa

I eat all of the above :D

Avocado and cocoa ice cream? Do you have a recipe?
  • solska
    solska Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Fathead crackers and guacamole, peanut butter and celery, raspberries with sugar free whipped cream, get some ice cream, sautéed prawns, flax 1 minute muffins, sugar free merengue.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about needing snacks. The biggest reason why low carb works is that you're not hungry between meals and don't find that you need anything. Many people, maybe even most people, end up eating only 1 or 2 meals a day without snacks effortlessly.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,566 Member
    Options
    I second the not needing snacks. I eat twice a day, max, usually, though I may have a coffee with cream prior to my first meal.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about needing snacks. The biggest reason why low carb works is that you're not hungry between meals and don't find that you need anything. Many people, maybe even most people, end up eating only 1 or 2 meals a day without snacks effortlessly.

Unless you tend to eat out of habit. Which is a very hard habit to break. I still struggle with it some days and if there isn't an acceptable snack in the house on habit eating days then I may "eat the things" which is no good so having snacks available is important here.
  • shed50kg
    Options
    Thanks guys, some great tips. Just been out and bought lots of low carb items
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Just a note about pickled beetroot and pickled onions... depending on how low carb you are these may be off your list. Definitely if they are the sweet/spiced w. clove sort of pickles. Like those sweet little pearl onions, for instance.
    Perhaps your heading of 'snacks' may be a misnomer if you are thinking easy meals like charcuterie board or some such.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Hard-boiled eggs, deviled eggs, cheese sticks, salami, pepperoni, jerky (just watch out for hidden sugars and carbs especially with "flavored" jerkies), and protein bars along the lines of Marigold bars or Keto bars (not all protein bars are created equal) if you are open to that.