Carbs

Options
Hi everyone,
I am 7 weeks out from VSG surgery. I have been teaching my protein goals, but am curious what everyone restricts their carb grams to each day?
Thank you.

Replies

• jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist suggests putting your carbs at 20g/day less than your protein grams

Good luck on your journey!
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I think the # of carbs isn't as important as the type. I try to limit the processed carbs and simple sugars. And especially so soon after surgery try to avoid sweets.
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    Agree with Aztec4Life - if you need some good websites that have recipes (and some have product as well), check out:

The World According to Eggface (Love the ricotta bake!)
    Bariatric Foodie (made the taco casserole which is amazing!)

Bariatric Eating - LOVE her manicotti and her no pie pumpkin pie. I buy her Inspire protein powder and Believe ready to drink protein shakes as well as the protein crunchers and Hair Balance and 3+3 vitamins

Bariatric Choice - TONS of products. I made the Wonderslim pudding shake as a pudding and it was awesome. Fabulous customer service too!

Impastable - really like their pasta - don't overcook or it can fall apart. Way better than whole wheat if you are looking for pasta without doing a spiral used veggie and don't want to go for the real deal because of carbs. Their plain bread was good toasted and am curious about their flavored breads - I bought the sampler for $20 and was pleasantly surprised

Good luck!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    jcavanna2 wrote: »

Impastable - really like their pasta - don't overcook or it can fall apart. Way better than whole wheat if you are looking for pasta without doing a spiral used veggie and don't want to go for the real deal because of carbs. Their plain bread was good toasted and am curious about their flavored breads - I bought the sampler for $20 and was pleasantly surprised

I ordered the ThinSlim sampler because it was 50% off. Just got it yesterday. The plain bread is a little cardboardy tasting, but not too bad. I liked the texture of it though! I made garlic toast out of it. :) I also tried the almond square. Didn't care for the texture too much, but the flavor was pretty good. I'm excited to try the pasta.
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    @chubby_checkers I agree with the bread but I always toast it. The honey wheat is better than the plain. I didn't like the almond square but really liked the brownie and love the pasta
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    @jcavanna2 I'm having the brownie for dessert this evening. Are the cookies any good?

• StevenGarrigus
    StevenGarrigus Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I concentrate on hitting my protein goal daily and avoid too many carbs, especially processed carbs. I do eat instant mashed potatoes because they are easy on the stomach, but it's usually about a quarter cup. I eat a very small amount of pasta occasionally, usually when the kiddos make "hamburger helper" or something like that for dinner. Aside from a single hotdog bun on a long drive, I've completely avoided breads.

And as cabbenett99 said, I too try to keep my grams of sugar below 6 per serving. I get nowhere near my daily allowance of sugar regularly and the few times I've been persuaded to try something sweet because the fine people I work with bring all kinds of goodies to work, it made me sick to my stomach. About anything more than a regular chocolate chip cookie is too much sugar for me. For the first two months post-op, even a greek yogurt with 5 grams of sugar made me sick to my stomach.

And also as cabbenett99 said, I also try to concentrate on eating high protein and produce, the latter of which I try to eat veggies high in vitamins & minerals.
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    @chubby_checkers the cookies were ok - I like the plain one best because the one with the frosting didn't quite do it for me.

The pasta is awesome and only has 6g net carbs which is awesome. Let me know what you think of it
  • akindofmagick
    akindofmagick Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    You can cut up a Quest chocolate chip cookie dough protein bar into pieces and make surprisingly good cookies out of them. See the article on the World According to Eggface blog. That's the only type of cookie I'll eat - very satisfying, too!
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    Agree that lower carb also helped me. If you like pasta, I highly recommend Impastable which has 6g net carbs, and tastes really good
  • ksutter70
    ksutter70 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My nut said 50-85g carbs per day during weight loss phase and never more than 12g sugar per meal/snack.