Training on a treadmill

Options
Below is a link to an article about training on a treadmill. It has some good ideas for those of us stuck training inside at the moment.

http://www.runnersworld.com/ask-coach-jenny/how-to-run-long-on-the-treadmill-without-losing-your-mind?cid=soc_Runner's World - RunnersWorld_FBPAGE_Runner’s World__RunningTips

Replies

• iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    thanks for the link

I try to survive with an audiobook. I listen to music outside but my tempo changes with the music and the treadmill does not respond to mind-messages :P
  • SlimEsq
    SlimEsq Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I hate running on the treadmill so much I am getting more bold about running in inclement weather. Saturday I ran through the rain rather than going to the gym. I am running a 5-mile race in a few weeks that takes place no matter what the weather is so that is incentive to face the adversity now. When I do end up on the treadmill, it's all about the music! I also don't mind doing speed work intervals to keep it interesting. It's funny because I first got consistent with running on the treadmill. Once I ran outside I never looked at it the same!
  • oremgirl1
    oremgirl1 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Below is a link to an article about training on a treadmill. It has some good ideas for those of us stuck training inside at the moment.

http://www.runnersworld.com/ask-coach-jenny/how-to-run-long-on-the-treadmill-without-losing-your-mind?cid=soc_Runner's World - RunnersWorld_FBPAGE_Runner’s World__RunningTips

Thanks for the link. I am one of those that ends up indoors more than I would like.
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I w
    SlimEsq wrote: »
    I hate running on the treadmill so much I am getting more bold about running in inclement weather. Saturday I ran through the rain rather than going to the gym. I am running a 5-mile race in a few weeks that takes place no matter what the weather is so that is incentive to face the adversity now. When I do end up on the treadmill, it's all about the music! I also don't mind doing speed work intervals to keep it interesting. It's funny because I first got consistent with running on the treadmill. Once I ran outside I never looked at it the same!
    SlimEsq wrote: »

Oh I would love to run outside ALL the time, much more enjoyable and free, but the smoke and cold in the air kills my lungs :(

I actually really like running in the rain when it's warmish outside, it's a bit less enjoyable when it's cold and windy but still better than the treadmill :d
  • JessRaddatz
    JessRaddatz Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I really don't like running on the treadmill, but it beats running in the freezing temps and ice and snow covered sidewalks :/ I did manage to do 6 miles on the treadmill last night. Previously I was only able to stave off boredom for 4 miles so I was happy with that.

Having a high tempo running playlist is a must for me. I have a hard time concentrating on a tv show and reading is out of the question, so music is what gets me through. I'm sure I look totally ridiculous because I lip sync along to the songs and sometimes throw in some enthusiastic arm movements (while air punching to The Eye of the Tiger on one of my very first runs, my arm got caught in my earbuds cord and sent my phone flying....I was at a public gym. I ordered wireless earbuds the next day, lol). I'm very much looking forward to the day that it is again warm enough to hit the pavement. Luckily, my half marathon training doesn't need to start until April/May-ish, so I can do all my long runs outside.
  • rebeccaahola894
    rebeccaahola894 Posts: 18 Member
    Options

I try to survive with an audiobook. I listen to music outside but my tempo changes with the music and the treadmill does not respond to mind-messages :P [/quote]

I can't remember the name of it but o used to have a great app which changes the tempo of your music to the correct cadence. It was excellent!
  • binderpaper
    binderpaper Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I really don't like running on the treadmill, but it beats running in the freezing temps and ice and snow covered sidewalks :/ I did manage to do 6 miles on the treadmill last night. Previously I was only able to stave off boredom for 4 miles so I was happy with that.

Having a high tempo running playlist is a must for me. I have a hard time concentrating on a tv show and reading is out of the question, so music is what gets me through. I'm sure I look totally ridiculous because I lip sync along to the songs and sometimes throw in some enthusiastic arm movements (while air punching to The Eye of the Tiger on one of my very first runs, my arm got caught in my earbuds cord and sent my phone flying....I was at a public gym. I ordered wireless earbuds the next day, lol). I'm very much looking forward to the day that it is again warm enough to hit the pavement. Luckily, my half marathon training doesn't need to start until April/May-ish, so I can do all my long runs outside.

omg literally me..I feel like the people next to me on the treadmill think I'm crazy when the arm movements and facial gestures come out :smiley:

I do like treadmills because they force me to keep my pace..I slowly slow down outside lol