Determined December 2016: Week 1 (12/1-12/7)

Options
baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
edited November 2016 in Social Groups
There's a statistic going around that something like 25% of people will gain weight between Halloween and New Year's. It's Holiday season. We're busy with work, school, get-togethers, and shopping. It's easy to just say to heck with it and cave. And wake up on New Year's Day and looking in the mirror, unhappy with what extra weight we've gained. It happens to the best of us.

Last month we focused on the basics in an effort to avoid gaining during a hectic time of year. There's lots of treats around. But many of us managed to hit our goals and not gain. Some of us even lost a few pounds, or gained insight into our own patterns when faced with pressure.

Planning ahead and keeping an eye on the basics are two of the most important focal points if we want to keep on the up and up in the face of all the junk and goodies rampant this type of year.

This month we are again going to focus on the low-carb basics. They really are so important to success. And keeping tabs on them reinforces good habits that will serve us through our weight loss journeys and beyond into Maintenance Land. We're shooting for Determined December. Some people choose to handle this time of year completely on-plan, supplementing low-carb recipes for all our bad-ol' favorites.

This may not be realistic for some. After all, there are many temptations in our faces this month. And a lot of celebrations. What I have done in the past was pick 1 or 2 events that were most important, enjoy them that day, and the next day was immediately back on track. No guilt, but no excuses. Every other time, I planned ahead. Eat before going to a carby event or bring plan-approved goodies. I actually lost weight in December of 2014. It can be done.

You can pick either strategy, but in this challenge monitoring our plan Basics are what makes the difference.

Consistency + Persistence + Time = Success

I really can't parrot that cliché formula enough. Because it's true.

Any low-carb plan is welcome. Just post your monthly goals and/or beginning weight, or if you are just planning to maintain through the month, or have NSVs to achieve, check-in daily or weekly with how well you did.

The Basics:
Staying under carbs
Staying under calories
Logging and measuring
Getting in exercise/movement if that's one of your goals
Keeping an eye on electrolyte levels
Getting enough water
Planning ahead

This thread will be stickied to the top of the Group, with links inside to the weekly threads. So if the weekly thread gets buried in our busy little group, you'll be able to easily find in in the sticky.

Share recipes, problems, thoughts.
Determined December is possible!
We are DETERMINED to maintain, and maybe even lose, this year.
We are DETERMINED to not let December run rough-shod over us, right?
We CAN do this.

To give you and idea of possible check-in entries here's what mine might look like:
Monthly Goals:
To lose that rotten, stinkin, stubborn, no-good, malicious weight that has crept on thanks to lack of sleep, a supplement, and general bad attitude.
100g daily, 1700 cal, 6 days/week with 1 FATurday. Weekends have gotten too loose.
Keep working them muscles.
Be sparing with the alcohol, Jess. And plan for calories to be preposterous on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day.

Start weight: 165.4 (Thanks for the lil' extra, adrenal support supplement!)
Goal weight: 159 and to stay there.

Sunday, 11/29:

Water: 120/120oz Small-checkmark.png
Electrolytes Good: Small-checkmark.png
Logged Food: Small-checkmark.png
Exercise as Planned?: 60 min Dreadmill walk Small-checkmark.png
At or Under Carb Level: 100/100g total Small-checkmark.png
At or Under Calorie Limit: Yes! Small-checkmark.png
Planned Day Ahead: Yes! Small-checkmark.png
7/7

Weekly Trees of Christmas Awesomeness Collected:
christmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gifchristmas-tree-2.gif

Feel free to go ahead and post your goals today if you're wanting to look ahead.
To get a feel for how this works, check out one of the weekly November challenge threads, but up in the blurb is a sample daily check-in and sample goals.

Challenge starts tomorrow. See you then. :wink:

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Determined December goals:
    Stay under calories every day (going back to 2lb loss/week goals)
    Complete all scheduled exercise (month 3 Beast)
    Target loss of 2lb for December
  • josgall
    josgall Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Monthly Goals:
    For December I will continue my keto diet and I will get to the gym a minimum of four times a week for lifting. This is going to be a challenge since I seem to have lost some of my gym motivation toward the end of November. I will track my water more carefully this month, begginning with water tracking on 12/1. I will reinitiate the zero artificial sweeteners policy beginning the second week on 12/8. I will continue to work on an increase in protein while staying in ketosis. For the holidays: with Christmas Eve and Christmas Day I'm going to allow myself some cheat time but I will limit it to those two days. On New Year's Eve I will not have an entire cheat day, but instead limit it to dinner and after dinner cheating (the worse kind, hehe). This month I will really focus on vitamins, echinacea , C , flaxseed for omega-3 and my multi to keep my immune healthy so I don't take myself out of commission by getting sick.

Start weight: 224
    Goal weight for morning or 12/31: 214

Intake Goals:
    Stay in at least moderate ketosis
    Have a calorie deficit
    a little higher protein
    Gym/Lift
    Water, Water, Water
    No sweeteners
    No cheat days except the 2.25 days planned
    Vitamins and Herbals daily, no exceptions

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    My goals:
    • Stay on plan during vacation 12/2-12/11 - we're driving to Oregon and staying for a week. Roadtrips are notorious carb fests for me: chips, sweets, eating out, etc. We already have planned to bring coconut oil, cream and torani and subsist on BPC for most of the drive. Gotta love my supportive husband!
    • Lose 9 pounds - If I can do this, I'm at 235 and should be down another size. Great way to end the year!
    • Keep up with Diatomaceous Earth every morning. It's helping with energy, IF and (coincidentally? probably, but still) the two weeks I stopped taking it I didn't lose. Plus, my skin is looking fabulous ;)
    • Start morning or evening workouts on return from vacation
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Thank you for continuing to keep us motiviated and on task.
    Getting back to it. So far this week:

Under carbs :)
    Under calories :)
    Logging and measuring - starting again to be accountable.
    Exercise/movement -Done today :)
    Water! :)
    Planning ahead - Got lunch, not sure about dinner yet. Need to hit the grocery store tonight and get my meals planned for the rest of the week.
  • baconslave
    Options
    Cadori wrote: »
    My goals:
    • Stay on plan during vacation 12/2-12/11 - we're driving to Oregon and staying for a week. Roadtrips are notorious carb fests for me: chips, sweets, eating out, etc. We already have planned to bring coconut oil, cream and torani and subsist on BPC for most of the drive. Gotta love my supportive husband!
    • Lose 9 pounds - If I can do this, I'm at 235 and should be down another size. Great way to end the year!
    • Keep up with Diatomaceous Earth every morning. It's helping with energy, IF and (coincidentally? probably, but still) the two weeks I stopped taking it I didn't lose. Plus, my skin is looking fabulous ;)

I want to start taking DE but I don't have a stretch of time I can take it where I'm not going to run into food. Clearly I'm going to have to think harder about it.
  • Cadori
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    My goals:

I want to start taking DE but I don't have a stretch of time I can take it where I'm not going to run into food. Clearly I'm going to have to think harder about it.

I drink a tsp in a 24 oz glass of water right before I leave for work (so, 4:45 ish) and have BPC on the way to work. I eat lunch around 1 usually.
  • coloradoartstudio
    coloradoartstudio Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    December Goals:
    • Drink more water every day
    • Lose 7 pounds - goal weight for Jan 1 is 185
    • Make exercise a priority
    • Stay below calorie goals - I have no problem staying under carbs, but I do have a problem with calories
    • Take my supplements regularly - I missed all of last week

This week has been a challenge because I have a big show on Sunday that leaves little time - feeling the pressure. My schedule should ease up next Monday...as long as I don't think about Christmas planning.
  • baconslave
    Options
    My goals:

I drink a tsp in a 24 oz glass of water right before I leave for work (so, 4:45 ish) and have BPC on the way to work. I eat lunch around 1 usually.

If I can do coffee after and fast till lunch I'll be ok then. I didn't know whether coffee with a tad of creamer would be ok or not.
  • Cadori
    Options
    My goals:

If I can do coffee after and fast till lunch I'll be ok then. I didn't know whether coffee with a tad of creamer would be ok or not.

Shoot, I don't know. I didn't know we weren't supposed to have anything after the DE. Crap, I might be doing this wrong!! :#
  • gregpesot
    gregpesot Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    December Goals

Present weight: 259.4
    Goal weight:254.0

Logging and monitoring daily
    Exercise five days a week
    Avoid beer at all costs (worst kind of sugar! Maltose!)
    No eating after 7PM unless it's dinner
    Daily Carb limit (30-35g)

Good luck! Looking forward to the challenge!
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    In for December - goals:
    1. Net Carbs under 40
    2. Calories under 1600
    3. Workout everyday (gym 5 days plus activity on the weekends)
    4. Drop at least 5 lbs this month
    5. IF 16/8 at least 5 days per week, preferably 6 (can't do 7 because of breakfast with family on Sundays)
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I have my full share of dietary weaknesses but I'm lucky in one respect. Being around a large number of people, especially when the usual holiday UFO's (Unidentified Food Objects) are on display, actually takes my appetite away. Buffets affect me the same way: ugh, too much of everything. Last year I lost a couple of pounds in December and will probably do so again this year. My goals will all center around keeping up with my fitness activities.

And, oh yes: drinking more water. Why is that so %$#*!!^ hard?
  • MindfulMother
    MindfulMother Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Starting Weight on MFP 264
    Present Weight 233
    Goal Weight 150

My goals for the month of December are to lose 13 pounds and help a friend starting a Keto lifestyle.
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    December Goals:

Don't give in just because it's "The Holidays" (especially at work the all the crap food and treats co-workers bring in)

Take my walk at least 4 nights or days per week or ride bikes with my son. (Yes I live in Florida so it's still 80 degrees!)

Cut down or out alcohol...maybe only some wine at our Christmas Party and on Christmas Eve.

Make low carb appetizers for the Christmas Party we are hosting at our house this year.

Calories between 1200-1300

Carbs between 30-50

Enjoy my family's traditional Christmas Eve Dinner and then right back on track!

Lose 8 pounds

Current weight this am: 163.2lbs
    Goal at month end: AT LEAST 155lbs
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    December goals:

Under 50 net carbs

Take a walk (can be subbed for other exercising) at least 3 days per week

Limit Halo Top to no more than 4 nights a week...it fits in my carbs but it's becoming a nightly habit....

Drink more liquids

Maintain weight +/- 5 lbs for water retention/hormone fluctuations
  • AshStout83
    AshStout83 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    My goals for December are:
    1)Lose 4 lbs.
    2)Drink 64 oz. of water each day.
    3)Average 5,000 steps per day.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    My goals are to stay as LCHF as possible, walk a little more, get my blood sugar under better control, and stay off the scale until my next doctor's appointment in February.

PS, formerly Sugarbeat returning under a different name because I locked myself out and couldn't get back in.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    December goals:
    • Hit 200 lbs
    • Drink more water and less diet soda
    • Log water and soda
    • Make an amazing Keto Gingerbread
    • Don't strangle the cat that is now sleeping under my desk, on my footrest while I work and when I try to use the footrest. (she growls at me and tries to bite my toes. (This may be the hardest to achieve - wish me luck)
  • GLady1980
    GLady1980 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My goals for Dec are:
    Keep within 1200-1500 cals/day
    Keep my sugar intake under control (I struggle with this one a lot)
    Keep the carbs low which I do normally
    Exercise 5 days/wk + week-end run around
    Limit my "free day" Saturday so I don't blow everything I did all week
    I am currently 166.6lbs would like to hit the 150's (159 or lower)