Snacks

moprimal
moprimal Posts: 13 Member
What do you do when you're keto and feeling "snacky "? What's your go-to?

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    It depends on if that snacky urge is for salty, fatty, crunchy, silky, savory, or sweet. Most of my go to snacks are:

hard boiled eggs, deviled or plain, depending on fat neet
    small portions of nuts
    cheese crisps or pepperoni crisps
    barely sweetened keto lava mug cake I tried today was amazing
    6-10 berries smashed into some unsweetened greek yogurt cut with heavy cream
    tea (or coffee) with heavy cream
    a swig of coconut oil (MCT)
    heavy cream with berries
    heavy cream with cocoa (poor man's mousse)
    any meat/cheese/pickle or olive combo
    85% or higher dark chocolate
    I just picked up but haven't tried roasted seaweed snacks
    bell pepper strips with small amounts of Braunschweiger, hummus, etc.
    Jello fat bomb (SF jello mixed with heavy cream and sour cream to create yogurt like consistency)
    SF jello powder blended with cream cheese
    cream cheese fat bomb
    soul bread
    faux grilled cheese with or without meat - I use Joseph's Lavash Flatbread or Pitas
    tomatoes/cucumbers with cheese
    ANY LEFTOVERS

Like I said, it really depends on what I feel like I want. If I'm just filling a hole because I'm actually hungry, I tend to aim for the most nutrients - or something I wouldn't normally want to eat often.

Hope some of these help.
  • moprimal
    Awesome.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Oh, and dips are good with snacks - ranch mix stirred into sour cream, guacamole, french onion dip, all of that is great with cheese crisps, pepperoni chips, pork rinds, or a spoon!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Oh, and using cottage cheese for a fruit whip, or protein powder with sugar free pudding mix and heavy cream to make what @Gallowmere1984 affectionately calls "sludge." Baked/microwaved custard... Like I said, it really depends. If you want volume, you really need to go to something like a large spinach salad (cobb or caesar are great) celery with nut butter or dips...
  • moprimal
    CC? Really? Thought I had to steer clear of that now. 6g of carbs per half cup. I had a container say in my fridge for almost two weeks before I opened it. Ripped it open a few days ago, ate half of it,felt guilty and the out the remainder.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Cottage cheese is a GREAT source of protein. As long as you don't get the low fat stuff, it is generally worth the balance. Particularly as a "pre-workout" snack. Or moderate portions... It can be "whipped" up in a blender so that a little goes a long way...
  • kimbo8435
    kimbo8435 Posts: 129 Member
    I do whipped cream w/ a 1/2 tsp cocoa powder and whatever sweetener is around and a splash of vanilla toriani syrup. So good w/ a few strawberries or a small handful of blueberries. On the run I do string cheese, pepperoni, green or kalamata olives, parmesean crisps (I forgot the brand!). Cheddar. cheddar, cheddar. I love keto egg drop soup and it can be made ahead of time. A small handful of nuts when I need a salty crunch. Bell peppers and cream cheese. Salami and cream cheese- have I mentioned I love cheese?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Oh, and using cottage cheese for a fruit whip, or protein powder with sugar free pudding mix and heavy cream to make what @Gallowmere1984 affectionately calls "sludge." Baked/microwaved custard... Like I said, it really depends. If you want volume, you really need to go to something like a large spinach salad (cobb or caesar are great) celery with nut butter or dips...

Sludge is love. Sludge is life. I've come up with about ten different ways to make it so far, and the only common factor among them all is protein powder.

Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, peanut butter, almond butter, various flavors of low carb whey powder, pretzel pieces, rice chex, almond milk, coconut milk, water, Jello sugar free puddings, Torani sugar-free syrups...*kitten*, it might be easier to make a list of what I wouldn't put in it to make macros work.
  • tshirtartist
    tshirtartist Posts: 109 Member
    I loved all the suggestions! I also came across something called moon cheese at Starbucks the other day. Only ingredient is cheese and it tastes like a healthy Cheetos. Works if you are running around and need a fast snack and can't grab something fresh.
  • McShorty7
    McShorty7 Posts: 69 Member
    I loved all the suggestions! I also came across something called moon cheese at Starbucks the other day. Only ingredient is cheese and it tastes like a healthy Cheetos. Works if you are running around and need a fast snack and can't grab something fresh.

Yes, moon cheese is "out of this world" tasty goodness!!
  • helocat
    helocat Posts: 40 Member
    I just started two weeks ago. Snacks have been a tough one for me. In the evening I tend to reach for some scotch. Will look into a few of these suggestions!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Be careful with the scotch, or any alcohol really - just as a basic note, when attempting nutritional ketosis or a ketogenic diet. The body essentially stops all fat burning when you drink, as it considers alcohol to be priority processing. It essentially stops the burning and gives all resources to processing the alcohol, so even a small drink can knock some/most folks out of ketosis. And if you're drinking more evenings than not, be sure you focus on deeply depleting that glycogen to have the best chances of keeping deep enough in ketosis to stay in during this pause and not knocking yourself out. Another option would be to get fully into keto adaption before allowing the scotch back in. You'll just have to experiment and see what works best for your body, @helocat.

That being said, I know people who drink every night and appear to maintain nutritional ketosis (I don't know how much they are monitoring ketones and the like). So it is possible... Remember that your tolerance threshold will drop on a ketogenic diet, so less is more - and keep those electrolytes and fluids up between drinks so as not to give yourself killer hangovers! :) Good luck.
  • helocat
    helocat Posts: 40 Member
    edited December 2016
    Be careful with the scotch, or any alcohol really - just as a basic note, when attempting nutritional ketosis or a ketogenic diet. The body essentially stops all fat burning when you drink, as it considers alcohol to be priority processing. It essentially stops the burning and gives all resources to processing the alcohol, so even a small drink can knock some/most folks out of ketosis. And if you're drinking more evenings than not, be sure you focus on deeply depleting that glycogen to have the best chances of keeping deep enough in ketosis to stay in during this pause and not knocking yourself out. Another option would be to get fully into keto adaption before allowing the scotch back in. You'll just have to experiment and see what works best for your body, @helocat.

That being said, I know people who drink every night and appear to maintain nutritional ketosis (I don't know how much they are monitoring ketones and the like). So it is possible... Remember that your tolerance threshold will drop on a ketogenic diet, so less is more - and keep those electrolytes and fluids up between drinks so as not to give yourself killer hangovers! :) Good luck.

Thanks for the tips. My body is keeping in Ketosis with light alcohol consumption. No killer hangovers probably due to A. low quantity of consumption B. body knows good scotch. :wink: I take the carb hit for a glass of red wine now and then as well. Still need to enjoy life a bit even if I am having to eat some of the very things I dislike. (Eggs and cheese)

• KnitOrMiss
    helocat wrote: »

Thanks for the tips. My body is keeping in Ketosis with light alcohol consumption. No killer hangovers probably due to A. low quantity of consumption B. body knows good scotch. :wink: I take the carb hit for a glass of red wine now and then as well. Still need to enjoy life a bit even if I am having to eat some of the very things I dislike. (Eggs and cheese)

@helocat - you don't have to eat eggs and cheese. There are many recipes that don't rely on either of these things. Check Healthful Pursuit for more variation in recipe ideas. There are many folks I know who are fully dairy free, others with egg allergies, even vegetarian and vegan keto folks. It requires getting a bit more creative, but it's absolutely possible.

That being said, kudos on the body recognizing good scotch and processing it accordingly! Keep Calm and Keto On...