Who uses Collagen Protein?

Options
I'm interested in starting to incorporate Collegen Protein into my diet. Do you all feel it's beneficial? Also, what brands are the best? I have to be sure I'd get a gluten free brand. Thank you!

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I buy on amazon from Bulk Supplements.
    It's very cheap.
    I don't have issues that I would notice any difference by using it like joint problems or anything. I'm just using it in blind faith. Lol
    I just add some to coffee or even on food as I'm cooking.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I give it to Rowdy as he has horrible pain in his knees, hands and elbows. It definitely helps. I took it for a while to see if it helped my bags under my eyes and my chin waddle. I haven't decided if it helps or not. I have no idea which is better - for a while I bought him pills then I bought powder and put it in his tea. I didn't see a difference.
  • jutymo
    jutymo Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I use it when I make rocket fuel (variation of bulletproof coffee using tea and hemp hearts). I think it helps strengthen my nails. It does give a nice creamy mouth feel to my drink. I don't have it every day though so not sure what it might help. I buy cans of Great Lakes on Amazon, the green tin. Red tin is like gelatin, doesn't dissolve the same.
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have not done this but am interested in learning more. I have access to pubmed and other medical literature resource sites but would like to hear more anecdotal info from those who use.
  • KetoLady86
    KetoLady86 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I would lovevto try it...might help with my skinba little
  • 40DayFit
    40DayFit Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'm using collagen hydrolysate (aka collagen peptides) stirred into my coffee just about daily (when I don't forget to include it). Not sure how to know its benefits, especially because I'm also about 6 weeks into keto and that's been changing things for me as well. I've always had strong fingernails and hair, so I can't use those external indicators.

I started taking collagen for joint health and to support skin elasticity. I have about another 80 lbs to lose for a total 100 lbs, and want the best possible odds for my skin during and after.

While I'm currently taking a grass-fed collagen (Zint), I have other supplements I'm trying to affords as well. I just ordered a far more affordable (likely not grass-fed) collagen from Swanson: http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-premium-high-plains-collagen-hydrolysate-1-lb-454-grams-pwdr.

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    I give it to Rowdy as he has horrible pain in his knees, hands and elbows. It definitely helps. I took it for a while to see if it helped my bags under my eyes and my chin waddle. I haven't decided if it helps or not. I have no idea which is better - for a while I bought him pills then I bought powder and put it in his tea. I didn't see a difference.

@RowdysLady - if Rowdy's issues are related to RA, you might try a hyaluronic acid supplement, too. It's the type of thing they put in skin creams to hold extra fluid in the skin. It helps in joints, but in helps them regain volume, so it was great for my knee (some kind of ongoing tendon tweak) but it made my wrist pain worse (it's a tendon channel issue not related to carpal tunnel (related to faulty tendon repair following childhood partial finger amputation), so I had to stop it. I just got the super cheap one from Walmart, but would have switched to a better quality one, had it not aggravated my wrist. It did a world of wonder for my knee pain, though.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I know Dave Aspry has good stuff at Bulletproof, but you'd need to check on the GF.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Thanks @KnitOrMiss it's all work related excess use. He's been tossing around 30 ft lengths of I beam, crawling under homes with welding equipment and standing on his feet all day every day for too many years. I do give him curcumin, glucosamine and cinnamon too, which I think also helps.