Contradictory information about net carbs in nuts

Options
oat_bran
oat_bran Posts: 370 Member
edited November 2016 in Social Groups
Am I the only one who is confused by the contradictory information on nutritional value in nuts, especially net carbs? Whether I look on the package or different websites or different entries on MFP the net carb counts (and often the entire nutritional information vary, sometimes significantly. And if a small difference in calories may not throw you off your plan completely, if you're eating a lot of nuts like me it can can kick you out of ketosis.

Take raw almonds for instance. I've seen different information according to which 100g almonds can have 6,7,10, and up to 20g of net carbs. Even the calories vary significantly. According to some packages they have 570 cal per 100g. And according to others it's like 640 cals. Same for roasted peanuts. On the package I bought yesterday it said 5,8net carbs, but websites say it's 10 or 11g per 100g. And it's similar with all other nuts and seeds. What's the deal with that? I can't imagine that different varieties/place of cultivation can affect the nutritional value so much. I also rally don't think I'm confusing net carbs with total carbs. I know the difference very well. Plus I live in Europe and here the total carbs are net carbs and still every package gives different info.

I mostly use the MFP app on my phone which doesn't classify search entries according to the number of confirmations so choosing the correct count is really hard.

For those who eat nuts often, what is the count for net carbs in nuts that you use, in particular raw almonds, walnuts, pecans, Brazil nuts, roasted peanuts and chia seeds?

Replies

• oat_bran
    oat_bran Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds are among the most confusing ones. According to some websites they have basically zero net carbs and according to others they're 8g net carbs per 100
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Here's a thread on the pitfalls of using calorie counts. Unfortunately, the calorie is the foundation of current nutritional labeling which, as you've discovered (nice sleuthing!), is particularly inaccurate with regard to nuts.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10412095/gastropod-the-end-of-the-calorie
  • cedarsidefarm
    cedarsidefarm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Raw nuts have less calories than roasted or fried nuts. But they don't put it on the labels.

There was a gastropod podcast that explained about the inaccuracy of calorie counts. It can be wrong for a lot of reasons.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I only buy raw unprocessed almonds, sometimes cashews or walnuts. the supposed BEST nuts for high food value/low carb are Macadamia first, Brazil, with almonds 3 top..the rest naturally have more carbs.And no peanuts as they are not nuts, and may have mold inherent in their processing/storage. Limiting nuts to 1/4 cup or a small handful is often promoted as we can quickly eat too many. Who you look at the OIL canned nuts are roasted in always the safflower (most inflammatory after high processed oils) or cheap corn/soy oils, and the salt is cheap, so making your own baggies of raw nuts and avoid "packaged" convenience foods.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    <refresh>
  • PaulaJSchiller
    PaulaJSchiller Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I was entering my serving of macadamia nuts into MFP. I had a 1/4 cup measured, which is a serving according to the package. MFP a serving comes up in ounces so if I'm having a 1/4 cup it should translate to 2 oz, right? I weighed my 1/4 c serving and it weighed 1.2 oz, so that makes this all the more confusing.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    It get even more wonky when you consider that a good amount of the fats in almonds, walnuts and likely most others aren't bioavailable to humans. For almonds it was something like 83% available, 86% for walnuts, but pistachios were closer to 95%. I'll see if I can find the studies for reference.

Essentially, the fat is trapped in a cellular structure that renders it inaccessible, and it just ends up in your poo.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    It get even more wonky when you consider that a good amount of the fats in almonds, walnuts and likely most others aren't bioavailable to humans. For almonds it was something like 83% available, 86% for walnuts, but pistachios were closer to 95%. I'll see if I can find the studies for reference.

Essentially, the fat is trapped in a cellular structure that renders it inaccessible, and it just ends up in your poo.

I remember learning that when Jason Whittrock did his 4000 kcal 21 day ketogenic challenge. People were arguing that he gained no weight because of all the nuts he ate. Apparently you could not absorb/use up to a quarter of the calories in nuts.

I think that great. I feel better about my unmeasured handful of nuts each day. ;)
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Oh my word, this is serious stuff. My H having been an extreme Carb eater, would love to eat nuts to satisfy carb cravings without adding too much of a negative total to his daily intake. This kind of throws his calculations out of the nearest window of a fast-moving train..... :o
  • RalfLott
    Options
    The problem is, it's better than nothing.