December Coffee/Tea, Gratitude, and Chat thread

Options
retirehappy
retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
edited November 2016 in Social Groups
Yike, 2016 is ending fast.

Thought I would combine the chat and gratitude threads. Let me know if that was a good idea or not.

Replies

• retirehappy
    Options
    Feeling grateful that my DH has recovered from another episode of pericarditis and hopefully, will continue to do well through the remainder of the holiday season.
  • judis100
    judis100 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    On the tea thread, I've been trying out different desert teas to help me avoid sweets, especially with/after dinner. So far I really like Trader Joe's Candy Cane Green tea and Teavana's Tiramisu tea (that one has a bit of caffeine so not too late). Anyone else have a desert tea they like?
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Lemon ginger is my go to tea(several cos. do it but I use lemons and ginger most of the time. And Black Cherry by Celestial Seasonings is another flavor I enjoy a lot.
  • DreamOn145
    DreamOn145 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Ok, well NOW I see why there was no December chat! I didn't know because I came here LAST!! I should have known that Joelle was completely on the ball, as usual, and there was a reason. lol Anyway, my bad if I have confused things and I apologize for that faux pas.

I am grateful, omg so very grateful, to have found the Paleo AIP diet. This protocol has truly and deeply changed my life. When I think where I was last year and where I am now, it brings tears of gratitude to my eyes. I realize now that my health really started to radically decline in January of 2014 when I took my first steps on the autoimmune journey and only now am I at long last clear of it. I am truly looking forward to the coming year!!!
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    We are having our first real snow today. It's been snowing since a little after 8 this morning. What do I do in weather like this? Well, hubby put on several winter CDs and we cooked. I made the potato kugel I grew up with and hubby is making a chili with ground buffalo and chicken. Smells good, but don't know yet how it tastes. If I get any ambition later, I might make some gluten free cookies. This all makes the house smell so good.

What do you do on a snowy day?
  • DreamOn145
    Options
    sometimes I get nostalgic and miss snow, especially at this holiday time of year. Then I remember all of those years in upstate NY and I can't imagine actually putting up with it for a whole winter again. I have been out of the north since about 1985!

Grateful today for finding this Younger Next year program. I am easily making training heartrate on the exercise bike. Getting ready now to do the weights. those are harder!
  • judis100
    judis100 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I love snow days when I can be homebound and cook! I'm still working so snow days (like today) either mean working from home or extra time on the road :-(
  • retirehappy
    Options
    We had snow last night, I just got back from shoveling the patio and front porch areas. It is COLD, tonight is expected to dip below 0 F. Soup will be on the stove shortly. For those of you getting this Arctic blast stay warm. For those of you not in the snow belt, be grateful today.
  • gramanana
    Options
    Niece in Denver posted about the temps, but didn't expect it to last more then a few days. We're scheduled to get more snow over the weekend. Not a big fan of snow anymore--it's pretty as long as I'm inside looking out, but that's it. LOL But it will give me an additional in encentive to get some baking done--keep the house warm and smelling wonderful!
  • retirehappy
    Options
    I make soup/stews on snow days most of the time. I also like to find low carb muffins so the oven warms up the house more. Love the smells from both.
  • gramanana
    Options
    Made a big pot of chicken soup over the weekend and now it is sitting in the freezer until we want it. Homemade soups and stews are great for the winter!
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Grateful it is going to get over 32F today and melt some of the snow from the roads, I have a mid day appt. I don't want to miss.

Also grateful that unlike other holiday seasons, I have continued to go downwards instead of piling a few lbs. on. It is slow loss but it is loss, and that is all that matters right now.
  • DreamOn145
    Options
    I am soooooooo grateful that my dog is back home and today, for the first time, he seems to be more like his normal self. He is finally eating (though I have to hand feed him. omg what bad habits he is developing) and he truly prefers to have me sleep in the recliner with him instead of going to bed! But he is home and he is recovering

Also made a big pot of soup. It does not snow here, but it does get cold on the Florida panhandle. I have had to put a tarp over part of the garden two nights and the there are now squirrels camping out in the tarp that is now over the firepit and grill. I am loving the Instant Pot I got during the black Friday sale on amazon. A whole chicken completely cooked in less than an hour! My dog is now on a low fat diet so I bought a bunch of fish. I am jumping on the fish road with him!
  • retirehappy
    Options
    I keep thinking of buying an Instant Pot, just keep putting it off. I like how it is both a slow cooker and pressure cooker.

Yum for the fish. I like almost everything that comes out of the sea, lakes, and rivers.
  • retirehappy
    Options
  • Realyrosey
    Realyrosey Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    At 65, excessive weight is slowing me down, sapping my energy and getting in the way of my gardening and other hobbies. Right now, I'm practicing with a new blender, getting food combinations, prep procedures down and new, healthier choices made. I'm just beginning, so plan on getting through the holidays and starting in earnest on January 2. Time to regroup with lots of green smoothies and healthier eating choices.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanuka, and Blessed Holidays!
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Welcome Realyrosey. Sounds like you are making a plan and doing some good prepping.

Happy Hollies to everyone.
  • gramanana
    Options
    In addition to today being New Years Eve, it is my 25th wedding anniversary! We will be going out to eat with a couple of friends, but will be home long before midnight--in fact, I'll probably be asleep by then.

Wishing you all a happy and healthy new year. Be safe in your celebrations.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Happy 25th. We never make it to midnight. I must confess, I'd rather watch Kathy rag on Anderson than go to any NYE party.
  • gramanana
    Options
    I may make it to midnight because of all I drank and ate. lol. Maybe I'll just fall asleep sitting up on the couch.