No stirrup November?

Options
crimsongrey
crimsongrey Posts: 329 Member
Is anyone taking the challenge? Since I'm trying to get more fit for cross country, I am doing more 2-point instead! My horse isn't fit yet either so we're starting to do conditioning sets with me in 2-point. Feeling the burn for sure! Of course, my OTTB is getting fit much easier than I am ;)

Replies

• cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I do it half and half. I am not jumping without stirrups currently, I am just not there yet. But I have been doing most of my flat work without them
  • crimsongrey
    crimsongrey Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    yeah, I'm not as brave as I used to be with jumping without stirrups ;) I've actually been doing a lot of bareback rides lately working on my dressage. I love how much my horse and I are in sync without a saddle...just a slight shift of weight can illicit a response. However, my "bareback" includes a saddle pad, gel pad, and bareback pad...OTTB's have some serious withers LOL!!
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I totally agree, I have been riding bareback more lately and I swear it has helped so much with balance. And yes, OTTB have withers for days! lol The Morgan I ride is pretty good to just jump on -- the QH I had as a teen had the perfect back for riding bareback
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Since we just moved to a new barn and a new trainer, I think we may hold off on adding any more challenges just yet. Today I think we need flippers and a snorkel.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I do half and half. I will warm up walk and trot and circles and figure 8s without the stirrups. But when it comes to canter to trot transitions I need them...my horse is learning not to lunge onto the forehand with breaking from canter to trot. If I didn't have the stirrups he would sling shot me off xD