Keto Supplement shaker bottle meal = easy and about $1.50 per meal

helocat
helocat Posts: 40 Member
I have been enjoying the convenience of supplement meal now and then that is real close on the 75/20/5 Keto target. Mixed in a shaker bottle so easy at my office.

1 scoop Gold Standard 100% Casein Creamy Vanilla powder (Bodybuilder supply)
4oz Coffee
1tbls Coconut oil
4oz Water

In a coffee cup I melt the coconut oil into the hot coffee. Then add it to the shaker cup with the 4oz of cold water. (Does not melt the shaker cup this way) Add in the scoop of Casein and shake. Drink right from the shaker. I add more cold water and coffee when done and drink that as well to get the residue so I get most of the protein and fat.

MFP says its:
3g Carb (2%)
40g Fat (77%)
24g Protein (21%)

Cost wise you're looking at about $1.50 per serving.

$1.25 Serving of Casein http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/cas.html
$ 0.24 Coconut Oil (Local store)
$0.00 Coffee (?) you make it, buy it or it's free at your work adjust from here

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited December 2016
    Using something like a hemp protein might actually allow you to continue fat burning. That amount of protein is likely enough to stop the fat-burning process for some folks...

However, I've recently fallen back in love with protein powders, though mostly not for drinking, but for baking and cooking with!! With a little work and manipulation, it emulates gluten and can help fill the gaps for some folks!

And once again, please let me share my coffee envy. I wish my body would tolerate it, but it just doesn't!
  • helocat
    helocat Posts: 40 Member
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Using something like a hemp protein might actually allow you to continue fat burning. That amount of protein is likely enough to stop the fat-burning process for some folks...

Everything I am finding is holding protein at 20% or 25% of the total Keto diet intake. That is what I am trying to accomplish with this recipe, balancing all three, fat, protein and carbs in a meal. It's very close to dead on. Easy to make and tastes great.

Bummer on the no coffee!

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited December 2016
    Yes, as a total percentage, but anything over a certain amount (I think it's in the 5-10 grams range) with your morning coffee actually engages the digestive system/insulin reactions, and stops the fat burning process temporarily, which is totally fine if you're not intending to extend the fast by having only a fatty coffee and just using it as a meal replacement. It's the time BETWEEN our meals that we burn the most fat. But if your intention is to extend your overnight fast and postpone a meal and continue burning stored fats, you might want to reconsider recomposing your drink. :)

But honestly, I'm a firm believer in the axiom, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I think we tend to mess things up more when something is working, but we want it to work better, and so we tweak things...

And yes, not being able to tolerate, enjoy, or like coffee in any form makes me sad. There are so many benefits to it. About the only thing I like about it is the smell of freshly ground beans. :) Let me just say that they don't call it "nature's exlax" for nothing.