Air Fryer vs baking

Options
jcavanna2
jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
Good Morning! Curious to know if anyone has used an air fryer and what you thought of it vs baking? Did your food come out crispier? Reason I ask is because Bariatric Eating posted an air fried chicken nugget that can also be baked and we don't fry at home but if an air fryer gets stuff more crispy I may invest in one. Thanks!

Replies

• anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    never tried one, but interesting concept
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    Agree - not sure how it works without oil but if it can get stuff more crispy than baking then I am all for it!
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I've heard mixed reviews. One of the groups I'm in on FB has some that swear by it...reviews online say, "Meh." The people in the FB group say that you really have to use minimal liquids (I guess you sometimes spray with a cooking spray) or else it makes things soggy. I keep looking at resale shops, scared to waste my money.
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    I may have to look further into it. I definitely don't want to waste money if it's not going to get me better results than baking stuff. We bake eggplant and chicken if we bread it (which is rare, and haven't fried in years!) but if I can get super crispy stuff by using an air fryer I may need to check it out.

• Stephaniev51697
    Stephaniev51697 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    jcavanna2 wrote: »
    Good Morning! Curious to know if anyone has used an air fryer and what you thought of it vs baking? Did your food come out crispier? Reason I ask is because Bariatric Eating posted an air fried chicken nugget that can also be baked and we don't fry at home but if an air fryer gets stuff more crispy I may invest in one. Thanks!

I saw this recipe this morning too!!! I want an air fryer now!!! I've been looking to see which is the best one. Havent decided on a brand yet.
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    @Stephaniev51697 let me know what you think if you get it. Thinking about going to bed bath to get one.
  • Stephaniev51697
    Options
    @jcavanna2 I definitely will. I've narrowed it down to 2 choices on Amazon..
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    Awesome - am debating going to bed bath and beyond because if I don't like it I can return it easily :)
  • jamielslater
    jamielslater Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I purchased and air fryer at Shopko and actually did the chicken nugget recipe on bariatric eating. I really liked it. I haven't cooked anything else in it for me yet, but my family has been cooking in it and they love it. I am going to try brussel sprouts and parmasean cauliflower in it tomorrow.
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    @Jamieeldred thanks for the feedback - did you find your chicken came out more crispy than if you just baked it?
  • Lori_Pensel
    Lori_Pensel Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE my air fryer! It is awesome. We have enjoyed everything we cook in it. Nice crispy without the added grease :)
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    Thanks Lori!
  • Stephaniev51697
    Options
    @Lori_Pensel and @Jamieeldred What brand did either of you buy? I'm trying to find out which ones are good. I really want an air fryer :)
  • jamielslater
    Options
    @jcavanna2 yes the chicken was crispy. I actually tried brussel sprouts tonight and I think I should have wrapped them in tinfoil because it burned them.
  • jamielslater
    Options
    @Stephaniev51697 i purchased a Chefman airfryer. I found it at target.
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    @Jamieeldred thanks so much for that info. I need to get one!
  • Stephaniev51697
    Options
    Thank you @Jamieeldred :)
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION FOR ME!!!!

How difficult is it to clean? Are there removable parts that go in the dishwasher? Is it all hand washed? Lazy minds wanna know!
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    That's a great question @NicoleL874! I have yet to get mine, but did try the Bariatric Eating chicken tender recipe and found it very salty - Eric did too, so maybe next time I will play with the ingredients :)
  • Elyseinchi
    Elyseinchi Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have an air fryer and to tell you the truth I wish I would not have spent the money! I think my over makes things just as good - If not better.