How to feel happy

Options
Mersie1
Mersie1 Posts: 329 Member

This is just something to think about. How do you feel happy? Not when this or that happens, but just as things are happening? As I continue to plow ahead in my ED recovery, I find stopping ED behaviors far easier than healing my thoughts, dreams, wants... I continue to have thoughts of when I run a certain distance, or feel I look I certain way... then I'll be happy. My happiness seems to be contingent on many diff things. When the weather warms up, when my kids, husband, dad, brother... never could all of those things happen at the same time. Why do I wait to be happy? When I get more money, organize/clean my house... my therapist is trying to drive home the point that there are reasons to be happy right now. This am I was able to tap into that idea. While the chaos of my life was taking place- dog chewing at her stitches, getting 3 kids (who go to 3 diff schools) ready, husband complaining about ??? Weather bitter cold, painful pimple on my nose came to visit today... I was able to be genuinely be happy sipping my coffee in my favorite mug. Sure, the bliss lasted for only 3-4 min. But it was 3-4 min of happiness that didn't depend on what my clothes looked like, what I thought my weight was, if my dad's cancer would stay away, if my aunt would stop annoying me, would my in laws be more respectful of me this Xmas...

I have spent a lot of time thinking about my goals for the holidays and beyond. My weight:appearance will not be on the list. Enjoyment:happiness is the goal and now I'm working on the plan to achieve it. My goal for the rest of the day is to be mindful of opportunities to be happy in other ways today- even in 3-4 min stretches. Ways that are not contingent on anything!

Wishing you all many happy moments!

Replies

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    My projected demands and high expectations are just premeditated resentments in my case. Keeping with gratitude, as you wrote Mersie, for the small things I have in this moment, presents to me a place of peace.
  • judis100
    judis100 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I love this post! And it's true - when I can keep Gratitude front and center I'm so much happier! It's easy for me to tap into that when I do service, and also when I've had a scare that turns out ok. But not so easy otherwise - have to work on that. And for me, I'm not sure if its true that stopping the ED behavior is easier than my thoughts, it seems the reverse for me, but maybe that's because I'm numbing myself with ED behavior (Duh! laughing at myself here). OK Thanks for this post and reminder on Gratitude!
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I just copied this down the other day. "Allow yourself to be happy right now. Waiting for things to be perfect means delaying the happiness that you are meant to enjoy now"
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Just found this one "I decided to live my happiest, healthiest life and pass it on to others. If you don't work through the things that haunt you early, they'll stay with you for the rest of your life"