Angel2111
Angel2111 Posts: 7 Member
edited December 2016 in Social Groups
Keto stick shows " Negative " three days in a row

Replies

• idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    No help here as I have always relied on my body to tell me when I am in keto. Will be watching this thread to gain knowledge from the pros.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Is this your first three days? Have you ever gotten a positive?
    How much water, coffee and such do you drink?
    Have you been going to pee more often than normal?
    There are things that can produce a false negative.
    But also, if it's your first three days you simply may not be there yet.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I am often negative, or barely trace, in the morning. Does it differ in the evening for you? Hydration plays a part too. If I am under 30g of carbs per day, I just don't worry about it. I know I am mostly in ketosis at that point.

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    According to multiple keto expert doctors, the more fat adapted your body becomes, the more likely these sticks will show little to nothing as your body becomes more efficient in using the ketones and not spilling them. If you need to measure ketones, blood tester is the only real way to get accurate results.

I think for most, once you know what being in ketosis feels like, there is no real need for testing. For instance, if you find that it is no big deal to skip a meal or two or more and don't turn into one of those characters from the Snickers commercial, you are probably in ketosis.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    No need to pee --- the sticks are unreliable. They are meant to be used by diabetics to avoid ketoacidosis, and keto dieters have latched on to them but there are too many variables and they can't be used as a way to change up your carbs day to day. Blood testing is the only way to be 100% sure. But as @nvmomketo points out, if your carbs are low enough, it is a metabolic certainty that you will be in ketosis.
  • Angel2111
    Options
    Thank you everyone.
    I'm three months on Keto. Lost 25-28 lb
    Drinking 2-3 250 ml cup coffee
    Low carbs 2%-5 % (1250 calories) a day .
    Weight playing up and down every week.
    Start getting hungry in the evenings.
    Stick still negative.
    I will go to the drug store to get blood tested
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    That's a pretty fast rate of weight loss --- what kind of deficit does 1250 give you? With 3 months of a steep deficit, you might actually benefit from bumping up calories a bit.
  • Angel2111
    Options
    I just started 1250 cal
    Before was 1350. I dropped calories down because weight started play
    And some days I'm over 1250 cal
    It's not enough for me
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
    You might benefit from reading the Launchpad info, tons of info in there.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10103966/start-here-the-lcd-launch-pad#latest

Also weight loss is not linear, you will have ups and downs.
    Some lose quicker than others and some stall out periodically.
    Pay attention to your body. If you are exercising a lot, you might need more food not less.
    While calories do come into play they are not the be all and end all of dieting while LCHF. The fat usually takes care of the hungry feelings so the cals. go down naturally.

Are you getting enough good fats in your diet?
    Did you stall out or bounce up to make you lower the calories. While calories do come into play they are not the be all and end all of dieting while LCHF. The fat usually takes care of the hungry feelings so the cals. go down naturally.

Good luck on sorting it out, it is an interesting learning curve for sure.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the ketones

Your goal seems to be weight loss. Not having ketones isn't going to affect that.

http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2016/12/ketogenic-diet-myths.html?m=1