What do you have for your go to snack or treat?

Options
phlyn
phlyn Posts: 15 Member
I have been craving fresh and sharp tastes, so I have been counting out 100g tiny cherry tomatoes for 3g net carbs and using them like a fruit.
I don't snack between meals all the time, but occasionally I get the urge
I am finding chicken drumsticks and eggs a bit boring now :p , any other suggestions would be great

Replies

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Salt and pepper pistachios and a diet root beer.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    tomatoes are a fruit

my go to snacks are cheese and crunchmaster crackers
    peanut butter
    nuts
    avocado and cottage cheese

I'm low carb, so not sure how many of these will fit into your goals
  • phlyn
    phlyn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have never tried avocado, how would you describe the taste, I could be persuaded :o
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    phlyn wrote: »
    I have never tried avocado, how would you describe the taste, I could be persuaded :o

I can't describe the taste but it's delicious with just salt and pepper.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    A handful of frozen raspberries with whipped cream. Whole thing is less than a half cup and low cal but it is so satisfying.

I would add creamy to the description of avocado to Sunny_Bunny's comments. I love it with a squeeze of lemon juice, a dash of garlic powder added to the salt and pepper.
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options

creamy consistency, nutty flavor, delicious!
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options

I don't think avocado has a heckuva lot of flavor personally. It is not something like Brussels sprouts where the flavor can be so strong that if you don't like it, it is such an overwhelming flavor that you just can't get past it. I add it to salads sometimes, but if I eat it plain, I put hot sauce (generally Chalula) all over it. Of course, I think hot sauce makes most things better.
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    tomatoes are a fruit

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Charisma is being able to convince people that tomatoes belong in a fruit salad. (aka salsa)
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    avocado tastes like avocado, there isn't really anything else that tastes the same, it has a very creamy rich and satisfying kind of flavor and a very smooth texture...the smaller ones (haas) have a milder flavor, the bigger ones have a bit stronger flavor, but they are all delicious if you like avocado...when you pick one out look for one that is a bit soft when you squeeze it, but not super super squishy or hollow feeling...usually the darker the skin the more ripe they are...you don't eat the shell or the seed, just the fruit part between them...and if you stick toothpicks in the seed and put it on a cup of water you can grow an avocado plant...

I run a paring knife all the way around the edge to the seed and twist the two halves apart, then pop out the seed, run the knife horizontally and vertically inside the shell, then scoop out the diced pieces into a bowl with a big spoon...add cottage cheese, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to taste, then mix well and dive in - totally delicious!
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    i love avocado bowls with shrimp ceviche :) So yummy. I grew up In Califoria with avocados in practically everything so i love them but its funny to realize that not everyone knows or likes avocado. I am like WAAAA? :blush:
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    cucumber and cream cheese
    olives and feta
    50g pate pods
    dill pickles and cheese
    50g salami
    Maxine's Burn bar
    20g cube of butter
    30g almonds
    smoked oysters
    boiled egg with mayo
  • moonlights
    moonlights Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing with tomatoes in summer - winter ones in the U.K. Aren't worth the carbs to me.

I like packs of marinated tofu as a snack. Also mozzarella with guacamole or pesto.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    A glob of cream cheese or a spoon of mascarpone.
  • The_MrsMoser
    The_MrsMoser Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter!!
  • lucycartere
    lucycartere Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I make my own flaxseed crackers and eat cheeses with them. Also babybels/string cheese. Boiled egg. Cream and frozen berries.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Lately I've just been having a cup of coffee with a tablespoon of double cream if I'm hungry in the afternoon, it knocks my appetite right out. I used to have some salami, cheese or coleslaw, or all of the above, but my calories were spiralling out of control. In the evening, I'll have a 2.4 g square of 99% Lindt chocolate with my tea. It's not exactly filling, but it's a food/taste experience that I enjoy, so it serves the purpose of quelling my desire to snack.
  • wimberleybonnette737
    Options
    pork rinds, salami with cheese or pepperoni with cheese, tablespoon or 2 of almond butter...
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Cheesy chips...take "cracker slices" of cheese...microwave on parchment paper. I have remind myself to wait until they are fully cool so I can enjoy the crunch I am craving.

Love avocado too...but usually incorporate into breakfast. I was never a big fan until a humanitarian trip to Hondurus where our hosts served it diced and tossed with parmesan cheese. Yummy!
  • dflemaster
    dflemaster Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Dill pickle
    Avocado
    Pork rinds