Eating out 3 weeks post-op?

Options
AllisonMart
AllisonMart Posts: 156 Member
Hi all,
I had VSG on 11/14. I'm eating soft foods from a very strict list provided by my nutritionist and I don't want to cheat in any way.

At work I've been taking an intense training class, 1 week a month, for three months. Our small class has gotten pretty close. This week is our last week and the instructors want to take us to dinner to celebrate. I have no control over where it will be. No one knows I had the surgery and I don't really want to share it, but if I go and don't eat, that's going to prompt questions. So will bringing my own food or asking for something weird like pureed chicken.

I've missed out on every single gathering this group has had because of my diet, including every lunch hour and dinners too. I'd really like to go to this last one. How do I eat at a restaurant without cheating? Should I order tea and just say I'm on a strict diet? Should I just not go?

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    My boss set up a lunch meeting with our client when I was about 4 weeks out from surgery. I asked him what he was thinking lol. He knew about my surgery. He told me where we were going so I could check the menu ahead of time. I ended up ordering a cup of soup and it worked out. Maybe you could find out where you are going and see what can work for you there? If not, order tea and say you are on a strict diet but you didn't want to miss the chance of joining the group.
  • StevenGarrigus
    StevenGarrigus Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    My first eating out was about 4 weeks post-op. My wife and I took our two daughters out before a band concert to Steak & Shake. I had a cup of vegetable soup. Filled me up and didn't cause any major issues.

I'm not sure what your doctor has ordered, but mine wanted me to stay away from caffeine for at least a month because it promotes hunger. I haven't drank a caffeinated beverage yet and I'm over 3.5 months post-op. Don't miss it at all.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Most places will have soup. If they have a children's menu, they'll often have applesauce or cottage cheese.
  • AllisonMart
    Options
    Thanks, all. My doctor's office is very strict and I have a list of what I can have, and if it's not on there, I can't have it. They specifically said no soup, because you can't tell what's in it (cream, potatoes, thickeners). Good idea on the applesauce and cottage cheese though. I probably won't know where we're going until the day of, so I can't even plan in advance!

My doctor allows caffeine but I was never much of a caffeine addict anyway. I used to have one cup of coffee in the morning and occasionally a hot tea. I gave up the coffee and don't miss it a bit.
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I would ask your boss if he can let you know ahead of time..just say you have to follow your doctors guidance and you don't need to go into detail. You can also eat flaky white fish at this stage as well, very soft pasta, and soups. You just won't be able to eat a lot
  • AllisonMart
    Options
    Pasta is out because I'm also gluten free (so basically I can't eat anything lol) but the flaky white fish is a great idea! Thanks!
  • AllisonMart
    Options
    Maybe I can talk them into going to a super popular sushi place...lots of options there!
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    How about burger without a bun, meatloaf, or chili as other options? Depending where you go, maybe eggs?
  • AllisonMart
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Unfortunately none of those are on my list...I'm discovering that my surgeon's list of acceptable soft foods is MUCH more limited than anyone else's! I don't know why that is. They really emphasized that the list has been carefully assembled over years from their own experiences with patients. They haven't led me astray yet, I'm down 50 pounds today, so I'm trying hard to follow it.

Well the group picked a steakhouse (lost out on sushi by 1 vote). I'm going to try for the red snapper dish with no sauce, veggies, etc, just the fish and will chew thoroughly.

Thanks everyone for the help and advice! Will let you know how it goes!
  • AllisonMart
    Options
    Oh I also made a lunch date with a friend for Saturday, at our fav sushi place. She knows all about the surgery and it's SO much less pressure! Whew!
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I'm curious how this worked out?
  • AllisonMart
    Options
    Overall, it was...fine. Just...fine.

After spending 20 min trying to park, then another 10 hiking back to the restaurant from the parking space, I obviously was late. So I got the last seat left, next to the loudmouth nosy person I was really hoping to avoid. The waitress was confused by my order of "just the fish" and suggested adding broccoli or asparagus, which I declined. When the food came, everyone else in the group got descriptions, "Sir, here are your pork chops with mashed sweet potatoes" and "Ma'am here is your medium steak with pomme frittes", but my plate of sad fish was just dropped in front of me with no ceremony at all. I imagined the waiter was saying to himself "here's your whatever lady".

The fish was...fine. A little too much pepper, but cooked nicely. I'm sure with the veggies and sauce it would have been fantastic. But the best word I can come up with is fine, which was disappointing for my first time eating out in MONTHS. It was a whole fillet, which is more than I can eat, so I ate about 2 oz of it VERY SLOWLY and was done. The loudmouth nosy woman next to me of course started asking questions about the diet and all the details. I told her it was a custom diet worked up with my doctor and changed the subject. It was very loud in the restaurant (why are they always so loud??) and between the woman next to me and the guy across from me stuffing his face with pork chops, I couldn't really talk to anyone. Then I realized the other problem I had not considered - when I'm done with my 2 oz of fish and waiting for everyone else, I have nothing else to do but look around. I can't even sip water, and thought it would be rude to be playing on my phone, so it was a little awkward.

The very nice waitress was worried that she'd gotten the order wrong or I wasn't happy because I'd eaten so little. I told her all problems were my own and no reflection on the restaurant, thank you very much. I think that 2 oz of fish was about $18, so I'm glad the company was paying.

After a while some people cleared out and then I had a lovely conversation with a guy down the table about WWII, so that was fun.

My boss is taking us to the same restaurant for lunch tomorrow, sigh. But at least everyone there will know about the surgery so it won't be so weird. I'm planning on having a side dish of veggies.

On Saturday I had lunch with a friend and we went to a sushi place. I had a little plate of 3 pieces of sashimi and it was PERFECT. Eating out is possible!
  • StevenGarrigus
    StevenGarrigus Posts: 234 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Glad to hear that eating out is going ok, even after the first awkward dinner. My wife and I ate out at Applebee's last night. Had wood fire grilled chicken breast, garlic mashed potatoes and fire grilled veggies. Ate a hair under half of each and it's my lunch for today.

The more time that goes by, the more foods you will be able to eat. I still have not eaten any fried foods and very little in the way of breads, but I really don't care to eat them and don't feel like I am missing out.

Get used to the waiter/waitress looking at you funny and asking if the meal was ok when you only eat a tiny portion.
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I had surgery in the fall, and found butternut squash soup in lot's of menu's and a great go-to food when out with others - really, any creamy soup or soup with broth that you can "drink" works. Cottage cheese plate could work as well.
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I would have just brought a protein shake. Especially this early after surgery.
  • AllisonMart
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I picked a terrible time of year to do this as everyone wants to go out and eat, there's loads of food in the office, etc. So far I've done really well and stuck to the menu from the doctor.
    Sadly my doctor specifically said soups are out, especially creamy ones as they contain cream/high fat dairy (super strict doctor!).
    It's hard to explain why you brought a protein shake to a fancy restaurant when no one knows you had surgery. I'm also so sick of the shakes I could happily throw them all out the window! Only 4 days of shakes left, but who's counting?