Vegetarian Diabetics?

Options
PKM0515
PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
I'm wondering if there are any other vegetarian diabetics here. I've been a vegetarian most of my life. For a number of reasons, I'm having a lot of trouble getting my readings/A1c where they need to be. I think I would be a lot more successful if I weren't vegetarian, but it's very hard to imagine making such a change.

Any suggestions/tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

• liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Hi Sara - I have been mostly vegetarian for years. When I got T2 diagnosis I tried the high protein low carb (lots of meat) diet and while my BG went down it was not sustainable. Meat doesn't work for my digestion or my life. Now I am back to mostly vegetarian with less cheese, less dairy than before, no cooked fat, and more vegetables. All of my grains are measured. My fasting glucose is not as low as I would like it to be but it has gone down with weight loss and exercise. I veered off for Thanksgiving and it was obviously a mistake.

I don't agree that you would be more successful if you were not a vegetarian, possibly yes, everyone's different. I would just encourage you to try it. I think it is more sustainable to find glucose control in your comfort zone than out of it.

good luck :)
  • dee_thurman
    dee_thurman Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I would be interested to hear what specifics you eat if you are open to sharing. I am recently diagnosed and I would not like to eat the dairy, meat, etc... I would also like any advice / help. Sorry SaraKim17 that doesn't help you at all but I am kinda in the same place you are.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    SaraKim17 wrote: »
    I'm wondering if there are any other vegetarian diabetics here. I've been a vegetarian most of my life. For a number of reasons, I'm having a lot of trouble getting my readings/A1c where they need to be. I think I would be a lot more successful if I weren't vegetarian, but it's very hard to imagine making such a change.

Any suggestions/tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Here's a great site with tons of info, including sections on diabetes:
    http://veganhealth.org/

You might want to experiment with eliminating high glycemic index foods, maybe starting by eating only the lowest net carb/GI foods you like and then adding things back one at a time (checking your glucose religiously before and after meals.

A royal pain the :s, but it's the only way to find out what works for you!