Quick Lunch and Snack Options

Options
stdavis2
stdavis2 Posts: 3 Member
The Farmer’s Fridge vending machine located on the 1st floor of the SPHPI building is rapidly becoming my new best friend. Twice last week I left my packed lunch and snacks sitting right next to my front door. In each instance, I purchased items from the Farmers Fridge. The lunch and snacks items are fresh, calories are nicely displayed, and there is a variety to choose from. I’m pleased with all of the items I selected.

Replies

• Lssuhick
    Lssuhick Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion, I have yet to try it but good to know it has been good so far!
  • stdavis2
    Options
    Today for lunch I'm having Hummus and Grilled Vegetable Wraps; made from a recipe I located on the Food Network website.

Ingredients

2 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices
    2 teaspoons olive oil
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    Pinch freshly ground black pepper
    1 cup store-bought hummus
    4 pieces whole-wheat wrap bread (about 9 inches in diameter)
    1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
    1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
    2 ounces baby spinach leaves (2 cups lightly packed)
    1/2 cup red onion thinly sliced into half-moons
    1/4 cup fresh mint leaves

Directions

Preheat the grill or grill pan over medium heat. Brush both sides of the zucchini slices with the oil and sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Grill until tender and slightly browned, about 4 minutes per side.

Spread 1/4 cup of the hummus over each piece of bread. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of pine nuts on top. Top with 3 slices of zucchini, 2 pieces of red pepper, 1/2 cup of the spinach, a few sliced onions, and 1 tablespoon of the mint. Roll each of them up and cut in half on a diagonal.

Per Serving: Calories 320; Total Fat 15g (Sat Fat 2g, Mono Fat 6g, Poly Fat 6g); Protein 12g; Carb 42g; Fiber 8g; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 795mg

Excellent Source of; Copper, Fiber, Folate, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Phosphorus, Thiamin, Vitamin A, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Protein

Good Source of; Niacin, Potassium, Riboflavin, Vitamin K, Zinc
    2007 Ellie Krieger, All Rights Reserved

Read more at; http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/hummus-and-grilled-vegetable-wrap-recipe.html?oc=linkback
  • ethrun
    ethrun Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Those wraps look like they are amazing! I will have to make them. I bought a pre-made salad mix and grilled a bunch of chicken to put in my salads for lunch for this week. Since there is no chopping involved, I find that the pre-made salad mixes are a great option when you are in a time crunch (or you would rather sleep in that extra 10 minutes) in the morning. :)
  • CRsparkle1
    CRsparkle1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I bought some hummus and chopped up a bell pepper for dipping. This is a tasty combination too.
  • stdavis2
    Options
    With the frigid weather, we (really, mean I) often turn to comfort food. The problem with comfort food is it's usually high in fat and calories. One of my favorite comfort foods is apple pie. I found a recipe the following recipe that allows me to have the comfort without the calories :)!

Try slicing a few apples on a cookie sheet and heating them at approximately 300 degrees Fahrenheit (about 149 degrees Celsius) until they're slightly browned [source: List My Five]. Add them to a bowl of low-fat yogurt and some walnuts, and you've got a taste of nature's natural dessert. If you want to come home to the smell of hot apples, de-core a half-dozen apples and put them in a crock-pot for a few hours [source: Skinny Chef]. It doesn't take an experienced cook to make this hot and simple snack.
  • antoniahd
    antoniahd Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It's a struggle for me to eat during the day - it's not a top priority when I'm busy (not healthy). Sometimes people bring me food bc they know I'm not eating lol. I try to keep some snacks in my desk (almonds, high fiber oatmeal, fruit, protein or trail mix bars, single serving Starkist pouches). This is definitely one of those things I want to work on in the new year.